mini-itx for gaming (Lian-Li Q07, AM3, HD5750)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

datapappan

mini-itx for gaming (Lian-Li Q07, AM3, HD5750)

Post by datapappan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 am

Hi, got this setup in mind:

Case: Lian-Li Q07
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3
MB: AM3, mini-ITX
GPU: HIS HD5750 1GB (single slot!)
PSU: OCZ Modstream 500 W (not the quietest, but in price range + modular)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 722 rpm 750 GB
ODD: External

3rd party coolers:
CPU: Scythe Shuriken BIG
GPU: AC Accelero L2 Pro (might be too high..)

Case will be modded this way:
Remove HDD-cage, put in ODD bracket + open ODD bracket for air inlet

PSU will act as single case fan, fan directed inwards the case.
Case will be placed under desk, to muffle the three fans + HDD

PSU is modular, so cable routing will be at minimum. Seasonics ar hard to come by, so OCZ will have to do - it's a little bit overkill, which I hope will translate into lower fan speeds.
The case is beautiful, but foremost small, which is why I chose it. It also have lots of holes, so sound will definitely leak, hopefully countered by the under-desk placement.

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 am

The question is.
Does the graphics card fit inside this case?

I've read about this case and the biggest caveat is that there is hardly any space in length.

Do you know the measurements of the card and the case or have you seen someone who pulled it off and can be sure it will fit inside that case?

Though on another hand isn't there supposed to come out the Q08? that is slightly larger and mostly more lengthy to fit actual graphics cards?
Though if the q07 is big enough for that card I would myself rather pick it myself. I don't like the large blatant front fan air intake on the larger Q08.

Though I would want to disagree whit you wanting to put the case under the desk out from view. These cases are meant to be displayed!

Sound and Noise? Considered getting some sound proofing materials to mount inside the case? Though in this situation the larger Q08 maybe makes more sense instead?

Q08 here

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:50 am

The Silverstone SG05/06 seem much better to accommodate a high power video card.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Silverstone_SG05_SG06

ces

Post by ces » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:50 am

MikeC wrote:The Silverstone SG05/06 seem much better to accommodate a high power video card.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Silverstone_SG05_SG06
Yes, but the Q07 is just so much prettier. It doesn't have the best airflow, but nothing that a front end or top side blow hole can't fix.

ces

Post by ces » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:56 am

Are you familiar with the new Q08 and the new Silverstone upgrade to the SG05/06? You should take a look at them before making the right decision - though in terms of aesthtics, neither come close to matching the q07 in my opinion.

If you use a winmate PSU you can remove the PSU from the case and then use a tower cooler like the Thermalright HR-01 Plus.

You could then cut a blowhole in the front or the top, and use a Thermalright flexible duct to connect the HR-01 to the top or front blow hole. All you would need is a 500rpm scythe feeding fresh air to the HR-01.

Maybe the front blowhole with a duct dedicated to the CPU - and the top blow left open as a place for the video card heat to rise and leave the case on its own. That leaves a total of one fan for everything including the PSU with the sole exception of the video card.

Aren't you worried about the video card collecting heat between it and the floor? Seems like there is not a good route to exhaust that heat.

You can use a black filterright filter to cover the blow holes and it will fit in nicely with the black Lian Li finish.

ces

Re: mini-itx for gaming (Lian-Li Q07, AM3, HD5750)

Post by ces » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10 pm

datapappan wrote: CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3
MB: AM3, mini-ITX
How important is the AMD? What motherboards are you considering?

Gigabyte is supposed to be coming out with a killer 1156 ITX motherboard. It has 5 power levels and is expected to be the first ITX that is designed to give the user a lot of control over overclocking and underclocking.

But you would have to move to Intel to use it.

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:53 pm

Wow, thanks for all your initiated responses.

Nighthog:
Does the graphics card fit inside this case?
Yes, its 167 mm, inside case is 205 mm.
These cases are meant to be displayed!
Agree, if it's quiet enough I will - for now, small is of the essence.

MikeC:
The Silverstone SG05/06 seem much better to accommodate a high power video card.
Agree, but it's much bigger. Might end up with this case in stead, have to check on sound from that SFX PSU.

ces:
Yes, but the Q07 is just so much prettier.
Agree, se above.
Are you familiar with the new Q08
Yes, but again, it's large (comparatively).
How important is the AMD?
Not at all, just a matter of price for CPU+MB combo (not many MBs take AM3 or 1156 socket, and DDR3 RAM).

/ d

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 am

Can you wait a month or two for the gigabyte 1156 Mini-Itx. If so, use it and get a fun to overclock high end Clarkdale. (people are reporting that they overclock on air with little twiddling up to 4ghz - and with some tiwddling 4.5 ghz.

And see if some version of my case modification proposals generate enough quiet cooling. If they do, you might get it past 4.5ghz. And even overclocked, when you aren't using it, it will dial itself down to a few watts.

If so, you will have the computer equivalent of a Lotus Elite with a 350 HP engine. Small, quick and light.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:08 am

Sapphire has an AM3 785G mitx board coming. http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... =319&lid=1, supports a PCIE X16 card and DDR3. Probably be a bit cheaper than going 1156.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 am

ryboto wrote:Sapphire has an AM3 785G mitx board coming. http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... =319&lid=1, supports a PCIE X16 card and DDR3. Probably be a bit cheaper than going 1156.
That's interesting. The ITX space is certainly heating up.

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:53 am

ryboto:
It's the Sapphire I had in mind for this - the ONLY board with AM3/DDR3 for mini-ITX.

MikeC:
I see now that the Sugo actually is smaller than the Q07, but the Q07 has a smaller footprint (and larger front then). Will investigate further...

/ d

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:18 am

datapappan wrote:ryboto:
It's the Sapphire I had in mind for this - the ONLY board with AM3/DDR3 for mini-ITX.

MikeC:
I see now that the Sugo actually is smaller than the Q07, but the Q07 has a smaller footprint (and larger front then). Will investigate further...

/ d
It is the only one, unfortunately, and it isn't even released yet. As for cases, I'm waiting for the SG07 or the Mini ITX case by Lan-Gear. I'm leaning toward the latter based on their specs, but they're still in beta phase.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 am

Huh? Didn't J&W already have a 785G board available for purchase?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:53 am

ilovejedd wrote:Huh? Didn't J&W already have a 785G board available for purchase?
it uses DDR2 SODIMMS, so, not quite on the same level as the Sapphire.

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Fri May 07, 2010 7:40 am

Still in love with this case, battling with the thought of modding it to make a narrow mATX board fit as per above. Question is, is it worth some $80 to go through a major reconstruction of back panel+MB standoffs on side panel.
(Plan is to reuse bottom pair of standoffs, take away the upper ones, add four new for mATX. Then cut out I/O+PCI from backpanel and put it back some 45 mm further up on the back panel so it fits with the standoffs left, and finally replace the 45 mm gap in the lower part...)
Or, shell out the extra money for a proper mITX board, w/o the hazzle? Time vs money.

/ d

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat May 08, 2010 10:02 am

ces wrote:Can you wait a month or two for the gigabyte 1156 Mini-Itx. If so, use it and get a fun to overclock high end Clarkdale. (people are reporting that they overclock on air with little twiddling up to 4ghz - and with some tiwddling 4.5 ghz.
that is interesting, but after you hit a certain level of cpu performance, many games these days are not cpu-bound... it's a issue with the video card a lot of the time.

ymmv, tho, depending on what game you are playing... i'd buy that gigabyte 1156 over most amd platforms.