Does this look like a good setup for a quiet desktop?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ewert

Does this look like a good setup for a quiet desktop?

Post by ewert » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:04 pm

Aim: gaming, less noise (love my netbook, atom + ssd = silent, as in no moving parts except keyboard)
Budget: no constraints really except being a stingy Scrooge type of guy, so massive price/performance needed =)

Currently looking at:

Code: Select all

Article No.  HV12CR64DE 
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Retail 	
ready for dispatch	
139,39 €	1
Okay SSD, quiet enough ;)

Article No.  HV30SCYXDE 
Scythe Mugen 2 CPU-Kühler, für alle Sockel geeignet 	
ready for dispatch	
33,40 €	1
Good, yes? Heavy, so not installed in store, matters a bit with case ...

Article No.  HV1032MDDE 
MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC, 768MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 	
ready for dispatch	
148,46 €	1
This was looked at pre-6850, now it looks like a Radeon 6850 is in the lineup instead of this, and waiting for noise benchmarks. Seems Sapphire is a quiet one atleast.

Article No.  HV203FAZDE 
Cooler Master Sileo 500 schwarz, ohne Netzteil 	
No information. A delivery time of more than 1 week is possible.	
63,63 €	1
Oops, store seems to have run out and that delivery time is bad (usually means their supplier is out too). Also, the cpu cooler needs backplate fixation. Antec 300 is bit cheaper, but not so sure about sound quality? Fractal Design Define R3 is available for about 90€, also has cpu backplate hole on side for motherboard fixture plate which is good due to the not-installed cpu cooler, right? Easier to install? With such minimal noise generation though (ssd + 6850), is it worth it or just ask if they have Sileo 500 or not?

Article No.  HV13H7D5DE 
Hitachi DESKSTAR 7K1000.C 500GB, 16MB, SATA II, 8,9cm (3,5") 	
ready for dispatch	
32,90 €	1
I'm not sure if I will have it or just have a USB3 drive outside ... Anyways will be on very fast shutdown, just for storage. So cheapest around...

Article No.  HV1136UWDE 
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3, AM3, ATX 	
ready for dispatch	
77,75 €	1
Is there much about motherboards really? Ought to be good.

Article No.  HV20P655DE 
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Box, Sockel AM3 	
ready for dispatch from 2010-10-28	
172,03 €	1
Well not much to say except that's gonna be the cpu ...

Article No.  HV20CO46DE 
4GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-2000 CL9 	
ready for dispatch	
82,37 €	1
Ditto.

Article No.  HVR650CTDE 
Corsair TX650W 650 Watt 	
ready for dispatch from 2010-10-27	
73,12 €	1
No, it won't need 650 watts. But that should run the system (around 300watts) at full load with very very minimal noise, yes?

Article No.  HV207H2ADE 
LG GH22NS40/NS30 bare schwarz SATA II 	
ready for dispatch	
16,94 €	1
Nothing to say, mostly unused item so who cares ...

Anyways, I perused the guides here a lot, so I reckon these choices are good. Mostly about the casing, Antec 300, Sileo 500 or Define R3? I'm _thinking_ Sileo would be the best bang, err lack-of-bang for buck considering the whole system is not so loud anyways. Will be annoying to rip all out to get cpu cooler installed, and considering my hourly wage, I know I just should buy the R3 to be honest ... Is the R3 more quiet than Sileo 500 with these innards in it?

JamieG

Re: Does this look like a good setup for a quiet desktop?

Post by JamieG » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:13 pm

I don't think the TX650 is all that quiet. Have a look at the SPCR Recommended PSUs and buy something listed there instead.

As for the case, go for the R3 out of those you have listed.

idale

Post by idale » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:47 pm

JamieG wrote:I don't think the TX650 is all that quiet. Have a look at the SPCR Recommended PSUs and buy something listed there instead.
At least as of 2.5 years ago when one was tested here at SPCR, it was deemed fairly quiet. Not the quietest model, certainly, but definitely good enough for most use (especially if the PSU is kept away from case heat so it doesn't have to ramp up until even later). Been happy with mine (it's the other fans that are the problem in my case, hehe).

Granted that was 2.5 years ago and things change so the list of quieter PSUs has surely grown, but it's not a bad choice by any means. :)

ewert

Post by ewert » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:26 pm

JamieG wrote:I don't think the TX650 is all that quiet. Have a look at the SPCR Recommended PSUs and buy something listed there instead.

As for the case, go for the R3 out of those you have listed.
The TX650 is in there, in the "recommended" listing. Looked through the reviews, and in them against the psu's of the era (well 2 years ago =P) it was amongst the quietest up to around 300W. It is a bit of overkill maximum power, but aiming for that 300W quiet operation in which it seems to excel in buck/not-so-many-dB. It should be "Seasonic" innards in it. And from the ones I checked the prices against the "editors choice" or "recommended" listings, was very cheap. Didnt check all though, will check few more I guess.

The PSU is on the bottom in the R3, and grabs air through floor? So optimal for not getting heated up by the other components? Yeah I guess I will go for the R3 then.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:32 am

ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV12CR64DE 
ready for dispatch	
139,39 €	1
Okay SSD, quiet enough ;)[/code]

Ok if it's intended only for a Win 7 use: as its GC code isn't good, without native TRIM it will be slowed down by time and usage pattern.
A SandForce based drive (Team Group, OCZ, Corsair, et c.) may be a better choice and usually in europe doesn't cost more than a Crucial/Marvel solution. Look even to the upcoming Intel G3 (or some offer, if in case, for the last G2). If you don't TRIM even a Toshiba/Kingston or Intel/Kingston SSD might work well.
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV1032MDDE 
ready for dispatch	
148,46 €	1
This was looked at pre-6850, now it looks like a Radeon 6850 is in the lineup instead of this, and waiting for noise benchmarks. Seems Sapphire is a quiet one atleast.

The issue for 460 is the minimum fan speed, apparently now fixed at 40% by VGA BIOS: so it requires some modding.

With reference to your choice, if you want a 460 go for the 1GB, NOT for the 768MB as it's a cramped design (and not only a less memory version); if you'd rather to stick on the 768MB, maybe a MSI 5770 Hawk is more than a viable alternative, for quietness.

Eventually, for the 6850 you have to rely on an aftermarket coolers, or wait for non standard design by some manufacturer.
ewert wrote:Antec 300 is bit cheaper, but not so sure about sound quality? Fractal Design Define R3 is available for about 90€, also has cpu backplate hole on side for motherboard fixture plate which is good due to the not-installed cpu cooler, right? Easier to install? With such minimal noise generation though (ssd + 6850), is it worth it or just ask if they have Sileo 500 or not?

Antec 300 is a lot lighter and may require substantial modding for dampening and need to replace any TriCool fan: moreover its drive mounting is also not so good.
If you wanna go cheap, Antec NSK-4000-II, Nexus Clodius and Caterpillar seem attractive options.
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV13H7D5DE 
ready for dispatch	
32,90 €	1
I'm not sure if I will have it or just have a USB3 drive outside ... Anyways will be on very fast shutdown, just for storage. So cheapest around

But even one of the least quiet: I mean you should choose a different drive, you don't need a loud 7200rpm one.
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV1136UWDE 
ready for dispatch	
77,75 €	1
Is there much about motherboards really?

Power efficiency: ASUS in this respect is not highly regarded. An active-phase-switching MSI could be better suited for an AM3 system.
A rule of thumb for me as a silencer is to always prefer high-end motherboard, as a customizable BIOS is an invaluable resource.
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV20P655DE 
172,03 €	1
Well not much to say except that's gonna be the cpu

Check it's the HDT55TWFK6DGR and NOT the HDT55TFBK6DGR (TWF and NOT the TBF).
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HVR650CTDE 
Corsair TX650W 650 Watt 	
73,12 €	1
No, it won't need 650 watts. But that should run the system (around 300watts) at full load with very very minimal noise, yes?

IME/IMO the Seasonic-based Corsair TX are roughly equivalent to some Antec or to the Seasonic S12-II: they'd be fairly quiet but thery're not definitely quiet (therefore thery're on the recommended but not reference list).

Given the price-base, more probably that not Nexus NX-R3, Enermax Pro82+ 525 and Antec True Power New are substantially quieter, so they are better suitable to your aim. Currently the Antec seem have not so good reputation as their reliability on NewEgg feedbacks, while the Enermax suffer the drawback of a not PWM and not standard fan (so it could be not easy to replace, if in case).
Apart the Nexus on silentpcshop.nl, they usually cost more than the Corsair TX.
ewert wrote:Anyways, I perused the guides here a lot, so I reckon these choices are good. Mostly about the casing, Antec 300, Sileo 500 or Define R3? I'm _thinking_ Sileo would be the best bang, err lack-of-bang for buck considering the whole system is not so loud anyways. Will be annoying to rip all out to get cpu cooler installed, and considering my hourly wage, I know I just should buy the R3 to be honest ... Is the R3 more quiet than Sileo 500 with these innards in it?

The R3 should be surely a cooler ambient: but definitely it's more important to choose a quieter PSU and a quieter data drive, to me.
And if you really want a very quiet rig, swap any different fan with Scythe/Nexus ones.

ewert

Post by ewert » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:39 am

Thanks for the feedback first off! :)
quest_for_silence wrote:
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV12CR64DE 
ready for dispatch	
139,39 €	1
Okay SSD, quiet enough ;)[/code]

Ok if it's intended only for a Win 7 use: as its GC code isn't good, without native TRIM it will be slowed down by time and usage pattern.
A SandForce based drive (Team Group, OCZ, Corsair, et c.) may be a better choice and usually in europe doesn't cost more than a Crucial/Marvel solution. Look even to the upcoming Intel G3 (or some offer, if in case, for the last G2). If you don't TRIM even a Toshiba/Kingston or Intel/Kingston SSD might work well.
As mostly just for gaming, yep will be Win7 in use. The choice was picked up mostly due to the Tomshardwareguide article on SSD's. It was Crucial/Intel on gaming speed neck to neck. Intel X25-M G2 is about identical in cost/GB, but starts at 80Gigs. I _am_ very minorly concerned about just 64gigs space, but I usually play only 1-2 games at a time, currently my games/OS/programs run at 40gigs on my computer. Of course, game sizes are going up forever so the 80 gigs might bring some comfort. OCZ Vertex 2's run under 2€/Gb, that is almost 25% cheaper though... I sometimes play with linux, I mean play with the OS not game on linux, so a 120 gig OCZ Vertex 2 costing 200€ would give lots more space, but of course 50% more expensive in absolute value. Choices choices. :(
Wonder why this http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articled ... &agid=1145 is cheaper than one tagged sata-II, is it just extra "branding" costs to get the sata-II tag? I mean both are 3Gb/s ...
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV1032MDDE 
ready for dispatch	
148,46 €	1

The issue for 460 is the minimum fan speed, apparently now fixed at 40% by VGA BIOS: so it requires some modding.

With reference to your choice, if you want a 460 go for the 1GB, NOT for the 768MB as it's a cramped design (and not only a less memory version); if you'd rather to stick on the 768MB, maybe a MSI 5770 Hawk is more than a viable alternative, for quietness.

Eventually, for the 6850 you have to rely on an aftermarket coolers, or wait for non standard design by some manufacturer.
Yeah the graphic card choice got turned upside down with the launch of the new Radeon line. Based on idle/load wattage, the 6850 is currently 99% certainly what I am gonna go with, just waiting for the noise tests.
ewert wrote:Antec 300 is bit cheaper, but not so sure about sound quality? Fractal Design Define R3 is available for about 90€, also has cpu backplate hole on side for motherboard fixture plate which is good due to the not-installed cpu cooler, right? Easier to install? With such minimal noise generation though (ssd + 6850), is it worth it or just ask if they have Sileo 500 or not?

Antec 300 is a lot lighter and may require substantial modding for dampening and need to replace any TriCool fan: moreover its drive mounting is also not so good.
If you wanna go cheap, Antec NSK-4000-II, Nexus Clodius and Caterpillar seem attractive options.
I think the hassle of having to remove all motherboard connections, motherboard, install cpu cooler backplate fixture thingy, redo all connections points to R3. And the R3 fans are good enough, so no need to replace, saving that money then, yes?
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV13H7D5DE 
ready for dispatch	
32,90 €	1
I'm not sure if I will have it or just have a USB3 drive outside ... Anyways will be on very fast shutdown, just for storage. So cheapest around

But even one of the least quiet: I mean you should choose a different drive, you don't need a loud 7200rpm one.
Well, I just picked the cheapest 500 gig drive on their list. =P Updating to Samsung Ecogreen F2 500gig, practically same price.
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV1136UWDE 
ready for dispatch	
77,75 €	1
Is there much about motherboards really?

Power efficiency: ASUS in this respect is not highly regarded. An active-phase-switching MSI could be better suited for an AM3 system.
A rule of thumb for me as a silencer is to always prefer high-end motherboard, as a customizable BIOS is an invaluable resource.
Hmm will have to look at mobos then more. That Asus board is very popular in builder circles around here, so mostly just picked up because of that. All the Asus software/oc stuff etc do look nice and uncomplicated too based on reading the marketing blurbs. =P And usb3 = good.
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HV20P655DE 
172,03 €	1
Well not much to say except that's gonna be the cpu

Check it's the HDT55TWFK6DGR and NOT the HDT55TFBK6DGR (TWF and NOT the TBF).
No idea, only shows that in store listing. Older? Or is it black-edition? Or what is the difference?
ewert wrote:

Article No.  HVR650CTDE 
Corsair TX650W 650 Watt 	
73,12 €	1

IME/IMO the Seasonic-based Corsair TX are roughly equivalent to some Antec or to the Seasonic S12-II: they'd be fairly quiet but thery're not definitely quiet (therefore thery're on the recommended but not reference list).

Given the price-base, more probably that not Nexus NX-R3, Enermax Pro82+ 525 and Antec True Power New are substantially quieter, so they are better suitable to your aim. Currently the Antec seem have not so good reputation as their reliability on NewEgg feedbacks, while the Enermax suffer the drawback of a not PWM and not standard fan (so it could be not easy to replace, if in case).
Apart the Nexus on silentpcshop.nl, they usually cost more than the Corsair TX.
Okay I checked the Antec True Power New 550W, it is only slightly more expensive, and according to the 750W version review, these lower watt ones should have mostly same audio characteristics at the relevant loads (up to around 300W). So changed that into the mix, thanks!
The R3 should be surely a cooler ambient: but definitely it's more important to choose a quieter PSU and a quieter data drive, to me.
And if you really want a very quiet rig, swap any different fan with Scythe/Nexus ones.
Thanks for the great feedback. :) Now to do some work, will post the new "plan" in a bit.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:34 am

ewert wrote:The choice was picked up mostly due to the Tomshardwareguide article on SSD's.

My personal thought is that AnandTech "SSD Stories" is a much more reliable source of information.
ewert wrote:It was Crucial/Intel on gaming speed neck to neck. Intel X25-M G2 is about identical in cost/GB, but starts at 80Gigs.

Just FYI, as far as I know this Kingston should be nearly identical to Intel G2.
ewert wrote:Wonder why this http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articled ... &agid=1145 is cheaper than one tagged sata-II, is it just extra "branding" costs to get the sata-II tag? I mean both are 3Gb/s ...

Cheaper than which one? However, the OCZ Vertex 2 Extend are the newer add to OCZ lineup: it should be a bit slower than the smaller Vertex 2, which should be faster than original Vertex. All them are a bit faster than any Intel G2 of comparable size. All are SATA-II (Sata 300, 3Gb/s).
ewert wrote:Yeah the graphic card choice got turned upside down with the launch of the new Radeon line. Based on idle/load wattage, the 6850 is currently 99% certainly what I am gonna go with, just waiting for the noise tests.

Isn't there a recent review on HT4U.net?
ewert wrote:I think the hassle of having to remove all motherboard connections, motherboard, install cpu cooler backplate fixture thingy, redo all connections points to R3. And the R3 fans are good enough, so no need to replace, saving that money then, yes?

I really don't know (I don't know the R3).
ewert wrote:No idea, only shows that in store listing. Older? Or is it black-edition? Or what is the difference?

Ask to the shop's Customer Support.
However, the HDT55TWFK6DGR is newer, and it is a 95W TDP CPU, while the HDT55TFBK6DGR is older, and it is a 125W TDP CPU. Currently both are on shops' "shelves".
So this latter "TWF" is a more efficient and a less hot CPU: and therefore the system will run cooler and quieter.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewert

Post by ewert » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:37 am

Okay, updated shopping list:

Article No.  HV30SCYXDE 
Scythe Mugen 2 CPU-Kühler, für alle Sockel geeignet 	
ready for dispatch	
33,40 €	1

Article No.  HVZPCDE 
Rechner - Zusammenbau 	
ready for dispatch	
20,00 €	1

Article No.  HV20P655DE 
172,03 €	1

Article No.  HV20CO46DE 
4GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-2000 CL9 	
ready for dispatch	
82,37 €	1

Article No.  HV33E7H6DE 
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch 	
ready for dispatch	
85,77 €	1

Article No.  HV207H2ADE 
LG GH22NS40/NS30 bare schwarz SATA II 	
ready for dispatch	
16,94 €	1

Article No.  HV1350SGDE 
Samsung EcoGreen F2 500GB, SATA II (HD502HI) 	
ready for dispatch (discontinued line)	
35,43 €	1

Article No.  HV203FD2DE 
FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Silver Arrow 	
ready for dispatch from 2010-11-05	
89,61 €	1

Article No.  HV12OV20DE 
OCZ SSD 120GB SATA 2,5' Vertex 2 Extend. 	
ready for dispatch	
199,38 €	1

Article No.  HV1027SGDE 
Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 	
169,90 €	1

Article No.  HVR550ADDE 
Antec Truepower New 550W 	
ready for dispatch	
84,88 €	1

Article No.  HV1131MSDE 
MSI 870A-G54, Sockel AM3, ATX, PCIe 	
ready for dispatch	
77,76 €	1

Sum: 	
1.067,47 €
I think aside the 6850 not having test results yet it is starting to look pretty good?

ewert

Post by ewert » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:36 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:My personal thought is that AnandTech "SSD Stories" is a much more reliable source of information.
Okay read anandtech stuff on SSD's, will go with OCZ (or other similar controller SSD). Too much funky stuff on the Crucial, yep.
ewert wrote:Yeah the graphic card choice got turned upside down with the launch of the new Radeon line. Based on idle/load wattage, the 6850 is currently 99% certainly what I am gonna go with, just waiting for the noise tests.

Isn't there a recent review on HT4U.net?
Yep have read that, I meant a lineup comparison of the different vendors and 6850s, and noise. Will probably be ordering the computer middle/late next month, hopefully some more different vendor noise tests by then.
However, the HDT55TWFK6DGR is newer, and it is a 95W TDP CPU, while the HDT55TFBK6DGR is older, and it is a 125W TDP CPU. Currently both are on shops' "shelves".
So this latter "TWF" is a more efficient and a less hot CPU: and therefore the system will run cooler and quieter.
Damn, read up on that, isn't available in Europe yet. :( Wishing it might get released here too before I order. :(