replace Antec 150 PS for SB 2600K build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

scottfa

replace Antec 150 PS for SB 2600K build?

Post by scottfa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi all:
I have the antec 150 housing a Dual Core E6700 OC'ed to 3.2GHZ. Mostly love the case and plan on upgrading to a 2600K with 16G of RAM for recording and video work. The PS seems OK, but specs on more recent supplies noise specs are about half the dB's under 300 W or so.
Is it worth it to replace the current PS?
I do want it quiet for recording. It is a touch too loud now, but I have only the CPU fan and the stock case fan(set at the slowest speed out of three choices.) I really need the RAM and CPU.
Thanks for any advice!
PS - any recommendations on CPU heatsinks would also be welcome.....

ame

Re: replace Antec 150 PS for SB 2600K build?

Post by ame » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 pm

scottfa wrote:Hi all:
I have the antec 150 housing a Dual Core E6700 OC'ed to 3.2GHZ. Mostly love the case and plan on upgrading to a 2600K with 16G of RAM for recording and video work. The PS seems OK, but specs on more recent supplies noise specs are about half the dB's under 300 W or so.
Is it worth it to replace the current PS?
I do want it quiet for recording. It is a touch too loud now, but I have only the CPU fan and the stock case fan(set at the slowest speed out of three choices.) I really need the RAM and CPU.
Thanks for any advice!
PS - any recommendations on CPU heatsinks would also be welcome.....
I have a similar setup I use for recording check out the link and pics in my sig. I did swap the original Neo HE 430 PSU since it has only 4 pin CPU power cable and I needed 8pin for the Sandy Bridge motherboard (It might have worked but I didn't want to take chances). I consider this PSU to be fairly quiet, and suitable for a recording compueter. The fan shouldn't be noisy at all under normal i7 2600K recording load (what video card?).

I think you should try it out and see if it affecs your recording in any way. I'm guessing since its facing back and the mic will likly be facing the other way the chances are slim to none that you will ever notice it.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 is the 'cheapest most effective for its price' cooler = best value for money IMO. Obviously you can spend more and get one of the more exotic options - see the recommended list on this site.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

anything on that list with 8.5 and up score is a solid choice.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:36 am

Hi, as you already have the PSU how about a fan swap for it? Unless have another use for it and want to keep the warranty on it...
I had a Neo HE430 and initially swapped the fan for a Noctua R8 fan and also tried a Sharkoon 2000rpm "golfball" fan. Both seemed to work fine, I put them on rubber gromets and connected to the original fan header. Just remove the existing plastic surround with needle nose pliers and then stick the new fan connector on the pins, glue it in place if you like. Can also extend the the 3rd tach wire out the PSU, as I did, and plug in to motherboard header to monitor fan speed.
Found my thread on it but seems to be corrupt, or missing anyway :(

Regards, Seb

scottfa

Post by scottfa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:37 am

Thanks for the replies. I think I will just swap out the supply (maybe a Seasonic X series). Since the mainboard and CPU are still working)Dual Core E6700) I could use it elsewhere. Did not know about diferrent connections for the 1155 MB! Also, I might replace the case fan with PWM version, assuming the MB has that capability.