Budget, but still capable HTPC Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

furymouse

Budget, but still capable HTPC Build

Post by furymouse » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:39 pm

This year, I've decided someone will be receiving a special Xmas present! The system currently being used for HTPC duty is a P4 Northwood, which was a star back in the day, but hasn't been in quite some time.

A few of the parts I'm considering are:
  • Intel Pentium G620 $63 (would love to ditch the Pentium name, but Core i3 is double the price)
  • 2x2GB DDR3 1333 ~$15 (best deal I can find when I am ready to purchase - 2GB, 4GB, or whatever amount)
  • Reusing: Cooler Master CM Stacker case (full tower), PSU (400W Corsair), HDD
Motherboard:
  • Manufacturer hopefully allows for cross-shipping if defective
  • Needs optical/coaxial SPDIF as receiver doesn't have HDMI, but TV does (only stereo sound pass through AFAIK)
  • ITX or mATX
  • May need integrated WiFi unless I can reuse the PCI based WiFi
Any thoughts on the build so far? :D

Arbutus

Re: Budget, but still capable HTPC Build

Post by Arbutus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:27 pm

The G620 has enough horsepower for a HTPC.
The ASUS P8H61-M mATX motherboard, CAN$84.99, features optical audio and a PCI slot.

furymouse

Post by furymouse » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 pm

When I looked up the Asus P8H61-M, I was excited to find out about the ASRock H67M and its richer feature set for the same price.. until I read that they don't do cross-shipments. Looks like the total will be $143 not counting memory.

furymouse

Post by furymouse » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Currently awaiting shipment of the G620 and Asus P8H61-M. I managed to obtain 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3 (2 x 2GB), which I am giving to this build since I found a deal on 12GB for my own system. :)

Total cost thus far +$30 = $173

Sounds all good except, problem: The previous optical drive and HDD are both IDE and the new Asus motherboard only has SATA. I looked into IDE>SATA converters but they seem to have problems with sleep and hibernation. While this is a budget build, I don't really want to deal with that. Perhaps I could do with just booting off a USB drive in order to stick to a low budget. What do you think?

Hazelrah

Post by Hazelrah » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:19 am

I would suggest a budget SSD. You don't need a lot of space for an HTPC (30-40 GB for Windows 7, even smaller for something Linux based like XBMC Live), and even a cheap SSD will give you nice bootup speeds and system response compared to an old IDE drive.

Then connect the HDD with a USB enclosure or move it to a NAS or something else to act as a storage drive for the other computers. Or use a PCIe expansion card with IDE ports.