How powerful is a Sandy Bridge IGP?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lordmetroid

Re: How powerful is a Sandy Bridge IGP?

Post by lordmetroid » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 am

I noticed today that Anantech has posted a preview of the Ivy Bridge. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy- ... e-i7-3770k

From the article I can read that the decrease in power consumption sadly seems to be rather insignificant. On the bright side however, the HD4000 is reported to have a great increase in performance compared to the HD3000.

I wonder how Haswell will fair, Even though I am sitting on an E8400 with a GTX 460, I am not in a particular hurry to get a new machine because everything I want to do with the system works, except that it is darn noisy. Perhaps I should wait a year for the Haswell.
Last edited by lordmetroid on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:04 am

lordmetroid wrote:From the article I can read that the decrease in power consumption which I had hoped for sadly seems to be rather insignificant.
Huh? It looks pretty good to me compared to the 2600K under load.

The idle figures are silly - they're figures for the whole system including a discrete GPU I think. Typical Anand. I doubt they're really dominated by the CPU.

boost

Post by boost » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:56 am

Idle 2W load 27W less. That's a 17.5% power reduction with slightly increased performance.
That's definitely not insignificant.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:34 am

Well, Haswell will be faster...and the next platform after that will be faster. :)

If your current system works for your apps, then just mod it to make it less noisy.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:24 am

nutball wrote:
lordmetroid wrote:From the article I can read that the decrease in power consumption which I had hoped for sadly seems to be rather insignificant.
Huh? It looks pretty good to me compared to the 2600K under load. The idle figures are silly - they're figures for the whole system including a discrete GPU I think. Typical Anand. I doubt they're really dominated by the CPU.
At idle the Sandy Bridge only draws about 4 or 5 watts. It's pretty hard to get below that.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 am

ces wrote: At idle the Sandy Bridge only draws about 4 or 5 watts. It's pretty hard to get below that.
Erm... I left that bit out deliberately, because I regard it as The Bleedin' Obvious!

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:40 am

nutball wrote:Erm... I left that bit out deliberately, because I regard it as The Bleedin' Obvious!
I left that primarily for lordmetroid. I didn't mean to imply you were unaware of it. You sort of said it. I just wanted to make it clearer.

lordmetroid

Post by lordmetroid » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 pm

ces wrote:
nutball wrote:Erm... I left that bit out deliberately, because I regard it as The Bleedin' Obvious!
I left that primarily for lordmetroid. I didn't mean to imply you were unaware of it. You sort of said it. I just wanted to make it clearer.
Thank you, much appreciated as I did not know.

lordmetroid

Post by lordmetroid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:01 am

I am considering whether to purchase an AMD Trinity or an Intel Ivy Bridge CPU. What speaks for purchasing an AMD is that it has a comparatively faster internal GPU. Though on the other hand, the AMD graphics drivers for GNU/Linux is always troublesome to get working.

Furthermore I have no idea about the idle power consumption and heat generation that the AMD processors generates.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:53 am

28nm for AMD and 22nm with the tri-gate vertical transistors for Intel.

My crystal ball: Expect higher watts at high load for AMD. Idle power...could possibly be similar. Your power use at load probably depends on the application and processor chosen...wait until the end of the year and find out. :)