Here is my build project:
Case: Solo 2 with the supplied fan only, top vent closed
PS: Seasonic X-560
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen3
HSF: Noctua NH-U9B SE2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile CML16GX3M4A1600C9B (4x4GB, height: 26.25mm)
SSD: Crucial m4 128 GB
HDD: Caviar Green WD20EARX (2 TB) suspended
BD: Asus BW-12B1LT (writer)
OS: Windows 7, 64-bit
I'll use the computer for media conversion, very light media editing, plus general usage (other hobbies might add in the future, who knows). I want power and silence.
I'll try to overclock a little bit, as long as I can keep the computer silent. I have no experience in OC. Furthermore, last time I built a system was about ten years ago, using parts I got at flea markets. So that I have very little experience. I hope I can get some advice from the knowledgeable people here. For instance:
- Would the fanless X-460 be a better choice ?
- Can I use only one of the 2 fans supplied with the Noctua (to reduce the noise sources) ? Or maybe the U9B isn't good enough for my build, even with both fans, and I should move to the C12 ?
- Is it necessary to get the low profile ram, or should I go for the regular Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B ?
- Can someone suggest a reliably silent matte 23" monitor ? I have followed a thread on spcr about whining and buzzing monitors (in fact, I read it twice), but I am no better off : the large majority of the posts are about brand new monitors. But what happens after 3 months or a year ? (I should mention that I won't leave the brightness at 100%)
- I suppose that getting the Caviar Black instead of the Green is out of the question ?
- The Lian Li A04 appeals to me more than the Solo 2, but I skipped it because I think I can't silence it. Any chance that I am wrong ? PS: I am still keeping an eye on a related thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63878&p=555159#p555159