SSD RAID

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimdoe

SSD RAID

Post by jimdoe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm not very knowledgeable on RAID, or using two SSD's.

Currently, I have 1 SSD with my operating system installed on it, and everything. I want to add a 2nd SSD for more space. Does this mean I have to run the two SSD in RAID 0?

Will Windows 7 recognize the two SSD as one drive, or will it recognize them as two separate drives?

*Note: Both SSD are identical, same brand (Mushkin) and same amount of space (120GB).

Thanks in advance!

m0002a

Re: SSD RAID

Post by m0002a » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:43 pm

So long as you don't mind the 2nd SSD drive being the D drive (or next drive letter available), then it should be no problem to just hook it up without any RAID (I would not recommend RAID in your case). If you want to create one big C drive, you will have to configure with RAID 0, but that will mean data on both drives will be lost if either of them fails. RAID 0 does theoretically improve performance, but it is doubtful you would notice with SSD drives since they are so fast to start with.

Before you add the new drive, it might be a good idea to change the drive letter of any CD or DVD drives on your system to make room, so that the CD/DVD drive will be the last drive letter after you install the new SSD. Also make sure you have no USB drives plugged in when you boot up with the new drive.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:47 pm

jimdoe wrote:Will Windows 7 recognize the two SSD as one drive, or will it recognize them as two separate drives?
It will recognize them as one just like a raid of regular HDD.

But if you are having such basic questions, you may want to think twice before you attempt to set up a raid.

jimdoe

Post by jimdoe » Thu May 10, 2012 8:32 am

m0002a wrote:So long as you don't mind the 2nd SSD drive being the D drive (or next drive letter available), then it should be no problem to just hook it up without any RAID (I would not recommend RAID in your case).
I followed your procedure, however, windows does not recognize the 2nd SSD.

My bios detects the 2nd SSD, so I know it is connected and all is fine in that department.

jimdoe

Post by jimdoe » Thu May 10, 2012 8:53 am

I called Mushkin Tech Support, they are very reliable and helpful.

The gentleman on the phone told me I had to initialize the new drive in windows. I did that, and it worked. Now my windows reads my 2nd SSD as an E drive, which is what I intended.

Thank you for any potential answers/help for this question, but it is now solved.

:D