UPS question

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stephen

UPS question

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm collecting parts for a new build, and am looking to get components when they are on sale when possible. If I get a UPS 4 or 5 months before I do the build, can I store it for that time without ever using it? Will that be a problem for the battery?

m0002a

Re: UPS question

Post by m0002a » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:31 pm

I don't know about other brands, but with APC units, they are not shipped with the battery hooked up, and you have to connect the battery after you open the package, so you will not reduce the life expectancy of the battery by putting it in storage. However, you may need to charge the battery before use.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:57 pm

m0002a wrote:I don't know about other brands, but with APC units, they are not shipped with the battery hooked up, and you have to connect the battery after you open the package, so you will not reduce the life expectancy of the battery by putting it in storage. However, you may need to charge the battery before use.
Either APC or CyberPower. Thanks!

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:28 pm

You can probably go to the CyberPower website and look at the user manual to verify that the batteries are not attached when shipped, and the user must connect them before using.

Just to be clear, there could be some minor degradation of the batteries over time even when batteries not hooked up, but nothing like would be the case if they were hooked up and the unit was turned on.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 pm

ups' sit longer than that in transit from oem/on the shelf.

but...you do lose 4 months off the warranty....

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:05 am

xan_user wrote:ups' sit longer than that in transit from oem/on the shelf.

but...you do lose 4 months off the warranty....
I'm seconding this. The replacement packs are stored for even longer, according to some time stamps I've seen. The warranty loss is the only real loss.

I use an Eaton Protection Station that I've found to be an excellent PC UPS. Not too expensive, lots of features like automatic plug shutoff (2 pcs, perfect for desktop PC perihpherals) and management options but still works as a drop-in solution. No issues with two Nexus and one Corsair PSU. It's even compatible with HomePlug/Powerline Ethernet kits.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks for the responses!