Thinking of finally upgrading: LGA 1155 for about $1000

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zoatebix

Thinking of finally upgrading: LGA 1155 for about $1000

Post by zoatebix » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Would anyone care to give this parts list a once-over? http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=24432647

Some concerns, in no particular order: I'm awfully torn about that gigabyte board, and not just because of the tacky branding. Asus' UEFI and software tools in general look pretty excellent. But only their top of the line Maximux V Gene has a displayport in the mATX form factor. Is it silly to be this worried about future-proofing the video-outs on the mainboard? Am I being unreasonably seduced by Gigabyte's audio hardware (and the shielding around it! Oh!)?

I've always loved Seasonic, but Rosewill has an awfully nice gold rated PSU for like $80.

MSI has some an awfully short warranty, but that's a nice, power-sipping card there for an excellent price. And I think guru3d is the only site that's reviewed it, and I don't know much about them.

Thanks all!
George

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: Thinking of finally upgrading: LGA 1155 for about $1000

Post by kuzzia » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 pm

The Seasonic would be the safest bet since it has been reviewed here at SPCR. You can't be sure that the Rosewill be quiet enough, unlike the Seasonic.

There's a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, the successor of the Hyper 212 plus. You might want to consider that cooler.

Why would you need DisplayPort? Do you need to run three screens at once? I don't see how HDMI or DVI would be replaced with other standard in the next 5-10 years and until then, your motherboard have likely been replaced.

Though not necessary, I would buy a fan for the rear fan position. Especially if you intend to overclock your CPU. A Scythe SlipStream fan (I'd choose the 500 or 800 rpm) can be bought for 11 USD at Newegg.

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for the reply!
kuzzia wrote:The Seasonic would be the safest bet since it has been reviewed here at SPCR. You can't be sure that the Rosewill be quiet enough, unlike the Seasonic.
True! Good thought. If I want to save money, I could always go for a M12II, I guess.
kuzzia wrote:There's a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, the successor of the Hyper 212 plus. You might want to consider that cooler.
$5 more isn't so bad...Done!
kuzzia wrote:Why would you need DisplayPort? Do you need to run three screens at once? I don't see how HDMI or DVI would be replaced with other standard in the next 5-10 years and until then, your motherboard have likely been replaced.
I run computers for a long, long time. My desktop is still a socket 939 box. Anywho, Gigabyte's spec sheet says the DVI and HDMI ports are only good up to 1920X1200 (and wikipedia's telling me that the maximum for a single DVI link is 2,098 × 1,311), and though that's the most I can see me using for a while, it'd be nice to have the option.
kuzzia wrote:Though not necessary, I would buy a fan for the rear fan position. Especially if you intend to overclock your CPU. A Scythe SlipStream fan (I'd choose the 500 or 800 rpm) can be bought for 11 USD at Newegg.
That's certainly not a bad idea...

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:36 am

I bought the modular version of the Rosewill PS; I can't hear it. The fan barely has to spin to keep it cooled. Gold is good.

I running an i5-3570 oc'd to 4.1 ghz with 16 gig of RAM an SSD & 5400 RPM 2TB HD. It draws 31w at idle and 100w from the wall running the OCCT standard test and the same running prime95. When I was stress testing it (Hipper Plus), my room was at an ambient of 90º F and the CPU only went up to 70ºC. The case and CPU cooler fans were clearly audible, but not the PS fan.