system advice: stock intel cooler, P150 vs TJ08-E?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

caycep

system advice: stock intel cooler, P150 vs TJ08-E?

Post by caycep » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:02 pm

thinking of converting a current P150 box into a home server - a couple of questions:

1. I was eyeing a smaller box like the TJ08-E. However, the P150 is well built (even if some of the plastic bits are falling off...) and quiet, and holds a lot of drives. I'll probably be running something low power-ish (Sandy bridge 2500k stock speeds, low power ATi 7750 video card since I got a P67 motherboard, and i figure this is easier than getting a H67 motherboard and pulling processors/memory in order to use the HD3000).

2. How quiet is the intel stock cooler? If I am running everything stock, in theory, I don't expect to need a huge amount of cooling from something like the Big Shuriken or the Noctua L12?

JJ

Re: system advice: stock intel cooler, P150 vs TJ08-E?

Post by JJ » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:45 pm

Why in the world would you need an i5-2500k and a 7750 GPU in a home file server??? Many people are using all-in-one Intel Atom or AMD Zacate motherboards for under $100 in their small file servers.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: system advice: stock intel cooler, P150 vs TJ08-E?

Post by kuzzia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Though I don't have any experience with Intel stock coolers, I think it's very unlikely that you'll find the stock cooler quiet during idle. But again, quietness is subjective. I assume that you won't be pushing the CPU since it will be used for a home server. So even a very cheap Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 will do. (They cost 10-15 USD, there are three versions: GT (low-end), standard, and pro (high-end)=. Their thermal performance is only compared to stock coolers, but they are MUCH quieter. I can't hear mine spinning at about 6-700 rpm (they can be run at 500 rpm), and my system is inaudible (see my signature)