Advice on Reverse Opening Cases (lefthand)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fastturtle

Advice on Reverse Opening Cases (lefthand)

Post by fastturtle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:41 pm

My current system is an HP Paviliion where the mobo is mounted reverse of most cases. In other words, when looking at the front of the case, it opens from the right instead of the left. The advantages offered by this is that the x16 video card slot places the HSF facing up instead of below the card, improving heat flow.

What I need is a listing of cases (makes/models) that open from the right with the PSU placed at the bottom. Newegg cases are preferred though I'll at least look at other vendors to see but don't suggest using Tiger Direct. I've had bad luck with them and refuse to do any business with them.

boost

Re: Advice on Reverse Opening Cases (lefthand)

Post by boost » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 am

The only case With this exact configuration on Newegg I know is the Bitfenix Outlaw a good case escpecially for $50, Anandtech reviewed it.
In the Silverstone PS07 and TJ08 the PSU mounts on top. which isn't a bad thing because the PSU's fan can help to remove hot air from the case.
Lian Li had a few models with the exact Layout in the past: V1000, V1100, V2000, V2100, PC101 and PC201.
Aerocool Zerocool also had this Layout.
In the Lian Li A05 (not A05FNA) the PSU sits i front of the mainbaord.

fastturtle

Re: Advice on Reverse Opening Cases (lefthand)

Post by fastturtle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:18 am

I've got a TJ-O8B that opens from the Left as everyone else does. Looks like they've revised the design to open the other way and reduced the front ports (mine has 4 USB). Not sure about that 180mm fan in front. Just noticed that it's configured with a floppy/memory card bay at the bottom of the case.

The PS07 looks like it's got a vent right above the PSU. Mounting with the fan up to pull in outside air instead of drawing from the case. Works for High Power units. Not sure about my build though.

Now if Silverstone finally got rid of that damn Super bright Blue LED for the power and included a 2 color (Green/Amber) led for On/Sleep mode, I'd be happy.

The Outlaw looks like a slightly redesigned Lian Li V1000 series. In looking at the pics though, I'm not happy with the big grille over the CPU and everthing. The HP case is similar and it's a damn dust magnet that I don't need.

Thanks for the input on the cases. Now it's a debate between the PS-07 and the SG-01. The PS-07 offers more drive capacity while the SG-01 looks to offer a smaller footprint.