PC build advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CeMi

PC build advice

Post by CeMi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:27 am

Hi,

This is my fisrt post here, and I would like to have your advice as my first criteria for my new pc build is the silence.
(It will be located in the living room)..

I will use it mainly for photo processing/editing (probably Lightroom or Photoshop), and for video editing (I don't know yet which SW).
Later, I could also have to extend its usage to gaming, as my kid will get older (he is 4 at the moment).

So, here is my build :
- Casing : Fractal Define R4.
I've also heard about Lian-li PC-B12 which is marketed as "silent", but not reviewed yet.. (as far as I know)
- PSU : Seasonic X-serie 560W
Maybe a Corsair AX series would be enough and better value ?
- Mobo : Asus P8Z77-V LE
- CPU : Core i7 3770K
- CPU cooler : Be Quiet ! Dark Rock 2
- RAM : 2x8 = 16 Go DDR3-1600 PC12800 Corsair
- SDD (for W7+ SW + working area) : 128 GB SATA SSD Samsung 830 MLC
I am also tempted by the IBM 330 series (180GB)
- HDD (for storage) : 3 To SATA WD Green 64 Mo cache

Any comments are welcome.
As you can see there is no Graphic card. Someone recommended me to include a Nvidia Graphic card as LR takes benefit of CUDA, but I was wondering what would be the real benefit.

Thanks

CA_Steve

Re: PC build advice

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:04 am

Hi and Welcome to SPCR!

Your build as proposed looks good for your usage. I don't know what country you are in, so some of my component suggestions might not be available...(hint, add your location to your profile :) )

While some Adobe apps do, Lightroom does NOT use CUDA. In fact, LR's gpu requirements are pretty lightweight. Over all, Adobe is moving away from CUDA and toward Open CL and GL. Photoshop GPU FAQ.

GPU: So, nearly any low end GPU made in the last year or two with GDDR5 memory will meet your app requirements. Heck, you could get away with using the HD4000 iGP for a bit. As for gaming, tell us your resolution (assuming 1920x1080 using the TV?) and the potential games and we can help select a video card. Note Nvidia is releasing the GTX 660 next week, so the landscape is changing soon. Right now, the best $200 card (in terms of fps/watt) is an HD 7850. The best $300 card is the GTX 660 Ti. More later.

PSU: Seasonic manufactures the Corsair AX line. Your stressed load power will be in the 110 to 250W DC range depending on what you do for a GPU (igp to the 660 Ti range). The X-560 is a nice pick as it'd be passive for your loads and the fan would only turn on at really high local temps and stressed load (if even then). Another potential PSU is the Kingwin LZP-550. Higher efficiency. Seasonic has also released a new lower cost G Series. Waiting for reviews on those.

CPU cooler: The Be Quiet! cooler got panned here at SPCR due to poor base flatness. Other sites have given it rave reviews. It may just be the luck of the draw on your particular unit. Or, pick another cooler from the tested list in the review :)

RAM: Look for low profile versions just to avoid potential CPU cooler conflicts.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 am

as CA_Steve points out the be uiet! Dark Rock 2 didn't perform well in the SPCR review so this is not the CPU cooler that you should choose. You can simply get better CPU coolers for the price. I'd say a Scythe Mugen 3 or a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with an aftermarket PWM CPU fan.

Do you need an ATX board? They can be more expensive than mATX and if you don't need the extra expansion slots then you can save some money (and precious space inside the case) with a mATX board.

Besides you've chosen some very good components :)

CeMi

Post by CeMi » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 am

CA_Steve wrote:Hi and Welcome to SPCR!
Your build as proposed looks good for your usage. I don't know what country you are in, so some of my component suggestions might not be available...(hint, add your location to your profile :) )
Thanks. I am from France.
CA_Steve wrote: While some Adobe apps do, Lightroom does NOT use CUDA. In fact, LR's gpu requirements are pretty lightweight. Over all, Adobe is moving away from CUDA and toward Open CL and GL. Photoshop GPU: So, nearly any low end GPU made in the last year or two with GDDR5 memory will meet your app requirements.

Heck, you could get away with using the HD4000 iGP for a bit. As for gaming, tell us your resolution (assuming 1920x1080 using the TV?) and the potential games and we can help select a video card. Note Nvidia is releasing the GTX 660 next week, so the landscape is changing soon. Right now, the best $200 card (in terms of fps/watt) is an HD 7850. The best $300 card is the GTX 660 Ti. More later.
GPU FAQ.
Thanks for the info. Then, for the moment I will keep using the HD 4000. When changing my monitor or moving to gaming, I will consider buying an up-todate GPU.
CA_Steve wrote: PSU: Seasonic manufactures the Corsair AX line. Your stressed load power will be in the 110 to 250W DC range depending on what you do for a GPU (igp to the 660 Ti range). The X-560 is a nice pick as it'd be passive for your loads and the fan would only turn on at really high local temps and stressed load (if even then). Another potential PSU is the Kingwin LZP-550. Higher efficiency. Seasonic has also released a new lower cost G Series. Waiting for reviews on those.
Yeap ! as I will be using igp, the stressed load should be close to 110w, which is under 25% PSU load, meaning it should work most of the time passive. Great !
Later, when adding GPU, if I reach 250W comsumption, I will be 50% PSU load, meaning few dbs..
CA_Steve wrote: CPU cooler: The Be Quiet! cooler got panned here at SPCR due to poor base flatness. Other sites have given it rave reviews. It may just be the luck of the draw on your particular unit. Or, pick another cooler from the tested list in the review :)
Good point. thanks. I missed looking at SCPR review for that one.
CA_Steve wrote: RAM: Look for low profile versions just to avoid potential CPU cooler conflicts.
Good point aswell..
kuzzia wrote:as CA_Steve points out the be uiet! Dark Rock 2 didn't perform well in the SPCR review so this is not the CPU cooler that you should choose. You can simply get better CPU coolers for the price. I'd say a Scythe Mugen 3 or a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with an aftermarket PWM CPU fan.
Thanks.. I will have a look to both of them.
kuzzia wrote: Do you need an ATX board? They can be more expensive than mATX and if you don't need the extra expansion slots then you can save some money (and precious space inside the case) with a mATX board.
That a good idea. Particularly if we consider that Haswell will use a new socket, and mobo will have to be changed when moving to next-gen processors.

Thanks a lot for your help !