- Going from Fractal R4 to Fractal Mini.
Its up to you, both are good cases. I like more the R4 as it is newer iteration with 140mm fans, then there are more options on 120mm fans, so its up to you. There are always more motherboards on ATX size, but there are good mATX mobos like the ones Das_Saunamies linked. I also like more R4 and ATX mobo with 1 pcie slot in between the 16x, so the Macho has some space, with mATX its very close, making it have to install the fan certain way or it will touch, but can be done not a big deal either, just the ATX will be easier to deal with. If you go with R4, check ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
cheapest asus mobo that comes with FanXpert2 for better control of your fans.
- Will do the Samsung 840 Pro 128 gig for SSD but still undecided on best 1TB HD. Leaning toward the green series still I think. I don't fully understand how the WD Red's work or understand if that would be best for my use. Do these use the internet to access the files like a network? What are the downsides to Red if I want to use this HD like a normal HD and keep photos, music, movies, photoshop on it.
REDs are just like Greens with better support for NAS. Recent reviews place it as good or better than greens in terms of noise, it should be a very good drive for storage having the ssd do all the OS/programs.
- I think I'm going to try Windows 8, since I need to buy an OS anyway and run startmenu8 or similar addon if I hate metro. Any reason I should get pro over the regular version?
I dont like 8, but thats just me.
- For the PSU the Seasonic X Series looks good but newegg says the x-560 is sold out and / or discontinued? Is the x-650 Gold overkill for this setup?
as Das_Saunamies siad, hard to pass by the X-650 @ $110, its a nice PSU. If you want cheaper, check SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM
, its a nice psu for the money, the fan is always on, but its quiet still. I just did a build with it for a friend no complains, but X650 will be better imo.
- The Samsung Green Ram looks good but I'm confused between all the models on amazon, would someone mind linking me to whats recommend for 8 gigs overall?
This is the ram, SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US
but has been out of stock for some time, and on amazon, Samsung Electronics Extreme Low Voltage 30nm UDIMM 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM MV-3V4G3D/US
its expensive as it is imported from japan. As an alternative i went with this memory for a recent build, Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0
, no issues at all. But check the compatibility once you decide on the mobo.
- CPU cooler, Thermlright HR-02 macho or COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO? Thermalright HR-02 Macho
would be my pick here, really good cooler for the money and the included fan is decent, can be drop down to 700rpm if the mobo can control pwm fans. And it will match the black n white theme of the R4/Mini.