Silent File Server

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

OverlordQ

Silent File Server

Post by OverlordQ » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm currently running out of space on my desktop PC that is doubling as a file server for my HTPC media, so I'm wanting to migrate to a dedicated file server. Since this is going to go out next to the TV I'm wanting this as reasonably quiet as I possibly can.

Unfortunately I'm unsure, given the mobo/ram combination what type of heatsink will fit comfortably inside and still provide decent cooling. Suggestions/replacements are greatly appreciated.

So far my parts list looks like this:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:Kingwin 500W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

A alternative realizing a quad-core CPU is a bit overkill and using the Tempest EVO for suspending the HD's is:

CPU: AMD A6-3500 2.1GHz Triple-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock A75 PRO4/MVP ATX FM1 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Case: NZXT Tempest EVO ATX Mid Tower Case
Other: SeaSonic X-650

[Mod: we don't need pricing or links to answer your question.]

Pappnaas

Re: Silent File Server

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:41 am

Assuming the server will run windows, even system 2 is way overspecced. Going linux, you'd even need less cpu power. So any Sandy/IvyBridge or low power AMD cpu with 4GB ram and HDDs up to your liking.

Cheap NAS boxes do file serving using single core 800 MHz Marvel ARM cores running some kind of Linux. Add up your parts and the price of a decent NAS (QNAP, Synology or thecus) doesn't seem all to steep any more.

OverlordQ

Post by OverlordQ » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Pappnaas wrote:Assuming the server will run windows, even system 2 is way overspecced. Going linux, you'd even need less cpu power. So any Sandy/IvyBridge or low power AMD cpu with 4GB ram and HDDs up to your liking.

Cheap NAS boxes do file serving using single core 800 MHz Marvel ARM cores running some kind of Linux. Add up your parts and the price of a decent NAS (QNAP, Synology or thecus) doesn't seem all to steep any more.
Yes, but at this price point, to get 4 bays to support more then 4x1TB, you'd need something like a DS413 that will run you $500, or the QNAP TS-412 and if you want any 'additional' features that it doesn't do, you're generally SOL. If you want to expand, you need to drop another $300-$500 for an expansion plus the cost of the drives, instead of just the drives since both cases I listed have ample room.

washu

Post by washu » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:23 pm

If you are intending to use motherboard RAID for your file server then get an Intel setup. While things may have changed recently, I haven't heard that AMD chipsets have passable RAID performance yet.

Just get a Pentium/Celeron and that will still be overkill.

OverlordQ

Post by OverlordQ » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 pm

washu wrote:If you are intending to use motherboard RAID for your file server then get an Intel setup. While things may have changed recently, I haven't heard that AMD chipsets have passable RAID performance yet.

Just get a Pentium/Celeron and that will still be overkill.
It's going to likely be a freenas box with raidz.

washu

Post by washu » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:01 pm

OverlordQ wrote: It's going to likely be a freenas box with raidz.
If that is the case then:

- Skimp on the CPU. An Atom might be a bit slow, but anything else current will be more than enough. It's not like you are going to run much else on FreeNAS.
- Get RAM, lots of it. ZFS loves RAM and is not graceful if it runs out. 16 GB is plenty though unless you use de-duplication.
- Get ECC RAM if you can and your board supports it.
- Get a GOOD UPS.
- Go lower on speed or capacity if you need to, not on quality. ZFS is not happy with substandard parts.