New HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Quubee

New HTPC

Post by Quubee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi

I've got a HTPC from 2010. I've been playing with the idea of upgrading it to be able to play some games. I'm not trying build a ultra mega gaming monster.

The old system is a Zotac GF9300 ITX with a Intel E5300. It's built into a Compucase 8K01 case. The case's only drawback is that it doesn't have a slot for an PCI-E graphics card. Either way I think I'm going to keep the case because I really like it.

There is also a SSD, 3.5" HDD, Bluray drive, 2.5" USB HDD and USB keyboard, mouse and IR.

I've been looking for a while but there hasn't been anything with integrated graphics worth the trouble. Now that the A10 is out, it's gotten my attention. I was thinking about pairing it either with MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 or Zotac A75ITX-B-E.

My question is about cooling. Because the case is so small there isn't room for a big CPU cooler (~62 mm at the most). I've found two candidates: Noctua NH-L9a or Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B. The A10-8500K has a TDP of 100 W. Big S can handle it (TDP 130 W) but is a really thight squeeze size wise. It would leave at the most ~5 mm between the fan and the case. Noctua fits more easily but it's rated only TDP 65 W. However, I think there is room for a 25 mm thick fan with Noctua. Would that help? What would you do and has someone already done something similar? Also, is there something like this for the 92 mm mounts?

Also, should I put the CPU cooler's fan to blow up or down? There is a big opening on the top just above the CPU cooler and another smaller opening with a 60 mm fan on the right side.

The current PSU is 120 W. I guess I need to change that too?

Please, feel free to suggest something else.

HellDiverUK

Re: New HTPC

Post by HellDiverUK » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 am

Or you could use a 55W i3-3225, which has the HD4000 graphics, which is more than enough for a HTPC. Your case isn't going to support anything that will game without melting, so there's no point in trying IMHO.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 pm

It's quite difficult to guess. The Scythe Big Shuriken could probably handle the 100W APU but the small volume of the case will surely leave the CPU cooler starving for fresh air. Perhaps you could find a high-end 65W A10 or A8 APU. Overclocking is out of the question so don't bother choosing a K-version.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Seems like the stake in the ground is "I want to play some games". Probably ought to look into that some more and then see if the A10 GPU will cut it for the games you want to play/at the resolutions and quality levels you'd like to play.