System build advice - rendering/graphics station

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ki_cz

System build advice - rendering/graphics station

Post by ki_cz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 am

After 5 years of working with my current system, it looks like it's finally time to upgrade my desktop station. My current build has been incredibly reliable, but it's definitely time to get a bit more speed. Was hoping SPCR could have a look at my build and let me know how it looks:

Case - Corsair 550D Obsidian series
PSU - Enermax Revolution87+ 550W Gold
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K
CPU cooler - SCYTHE SCNJ-3100 Ninja 3 Rev. B
Fans - 3x NOCTUA NF-S12B ULN (one for CPU, one for intake, one for exhaust)
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V LX2
GPU - SAPPHIRE HD 6570 Ultimate (passively cooled)
Memory - Crucial 16GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Ballistix Sport
SSD - Crucial M4 128GB
Other hard drives - discussed below

Currently I'm using the Antec SLK3000B case for my setup, which I've been happy with, except for the drive bays. When non-SSD drives are installed in the bay, then there is a slight "hum" that I found quite noticeable, not hard drive noise, but just a constant vibration. I will likely be using 2-3 mechanical drives, I don't care much about hard drive access noise, just more the idle noise. Currently, I've solved this by suspending my drives, but was wondering if I should expect the same issue with the Corsair case?

Is there anything that I should be concerned about? Any options of reducing the price would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks for having a look!

CA_Steve

Re: System build advice - rendering/graphics station

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 am

ki_cz wrote: Any options of reducing the price would also be highly appreciated.
What are your apps?

ki_cz

Post by ki_cz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:50 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
ki_cz wrote: Any options of reducing the price would also be highly appreciated.
What are your apps?
3d studio Max, Maxwell/Vray render for 3D applications, Illustrator, Photoshop and Lightroom for 2D and photo work.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Ok, that explains the i7 :)

CPU: If you aren't going to OC, you can save $30 and get the i7-3770 instead of the 3770K. If you are OCing, the Asus LX2 mobo might not be suitable.
GPU: The DDR3 based HD 6570 isn't much better than the HD4000 IGP. Not worth the $70-90. Your apps can benefit from GPU acceleration. If you think you need to bump up beyond the HD4000, consider the HD 7750 @ ~$100 for a passive version. But, try running your apps with the IGP first and see if it meets your needs.
Case: The 550D is a very nice case. You could save ~$20-30 and use the Antec Solo II. Plus you get the drive suspension. Or you could drop down the uATX and get the Fractal Define Mini for ~$100.
Mobo: The ASUS P8Z77-M uATX is an alternative board.
PSU: System stressed load will be in the ~140W range...~195W if you get the HD 7750 and don't OC. Don't see pricing for the Enermax, but the Seasonic G 360 is $60.
cooler:...

ki_cz

Post by ki_cz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks for the tips, I ended up going with the following (seems like the 550D fans should be suitable enough):

case: Corsair 550D Obsidian
cpu: Intel Core i7-3770K (higher stock speed and ability to OC kept me with the 3770K)
mb: ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 (not planning on OC'ing that much, but this board supposedly will handle the minimal amount I may attempt)
cooler: SCYTHE Mugen 3 PCGH Edition
silent HDs: 2x Intel 330 120GB SSD Retail Box
gpu: SAPPHIRE HD 7750 Ultimate
power: Seasonic M12II-520 80Plus Bronze 520W Retail
ram: Crucial 16GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Ballistix Sport

ki_cz

Post by ki_cz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 am

Well the system POSTs (YES!) but I've only plugged in a few of the fans available thus far (due to limitations of inputs on the motherboard). I'd like to ask what my best possible solution would be:

- install my Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller into the tower and use this to control fan speeds
- use a y-splitter for the fans (one Y splitter for the 2 fans used on the Mugen, another splitter used for the 2 intake fans in the front of the 550D)

And I was almost too embarrassed to ask this question, but I'm assuming that the PSU (Seasonic M12 520) regulates it's own fan speed depending on draw? I noticed the "psu_fan" connector on the motherboard, but just assumed that was for perhaps a retrofitted fan.

Thanks again SPCR

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 am

ki_cz wrote:Well the system POSTs (YES!) but I've only plugged in a few of the fans available thus far (due to limitations of inputs on the motherboard). I'd like to ask what my best possible solution would be:

- install my Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller into the tower and use this to control fan speeds
- use a y-splitter for the fans (one Y splitter for the 2 fans used on the Mugen, another splitter used for the 2 intake fans in the front of the 550D)
If you want to use the Asus Fan Xpert utility for setting fan speed profiles, then get some y-splitters. If you want to set the fan speed manually, use the Sunbeam controller.
ki_cz wrote:And I was almost too embarrassed to ask this question, but I'm assuming that the PSU (Seasonic M12 520) regulates it's own fan speed depending on draw?
Yes.