Current SG07 component recommendations?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RandomUser55

Current SG07 component recommendations?

Post by RandomUser55 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:28 am

Greetings. I'm due for a PC update, and I'd like to get something small and quiet. I read through the Silent SFF Gaming PC Build Guide, and I like the look and base qualities of the SG07, so leaning towards that case. However, the article is a bit dated and I'd like some advice on current hardware.

SG07 - It seems the SG07B is the current gen and supports USB3.0? Any thoughts on this compared to other cases? The SG09 was on the list originally, but my needs are pretty simple so I think I can make due with the slightly smaller SG07.

Motherboard/CPU: Optimally I'd like to get something like an i7-960, but most reviews I see on the SG07 are built with an i5... CPU cooler: This has me stumped, there's a lot of recommendations on the web, but some are out of production or lack info if it will line up with a particular motherboard. In short, can anyone recommend an i7 cpu, motherboard and cooler combo that fits in the SG07 without modifications and doesn't block the GPU slot?

Default Power Supply: Seems pretty reliable and quiet. Would anyone can recommend another PSU that is silent or less audiable then the stock one?

GPU: I have an Nvidia 560ti which plays my current game library pretty well, but sounds like a jet getting ready to take off under load. Looking at upgrading to an Nvidia 660, seems like the Asus GTX 660Ti DirectCU II is still the way to go?

HDD: Planning on two 512GB SSD drives raided, not sure which brand, OCZ or Crucial or whoever has a good deal when the time comes.

Thanks!