Static discharge to USB port restarts pc

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matrnelson

Static discharge to USB port restarts pc

Post by matrnelson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:00 pm

I recently built a new gaming pc. A few weeks ago, I touched the USB port on the front of a cast, exchanged static charge and the pc rebooted. Since then this has happened a few times. I want to fix this asap so that I dont fry my components. I know this is a grounding issue. I need help determining if this is an issue with the case (including case and usb ports) or if it is a mobo or PSU issue.

PC Build:
AMD FX8150 Eight Core 4.00GHz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
HD Radeon 7970
16 GB Ram
Kingwin Mach 1 1000w PSU
Case: Thermaltake Overseer

edh

Re: Static discharge to USB port restarts pc

Post by edh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Do you have the PSU earthed?

Looking at the case, it is a Thermaltake which immediately rings alarm bells in my ears for noise reasons but I am not familiar with this one. Is the case front plastic or metal? Is their metal to metal contact all of the way back to the PSU? The USB header has a built in GND pin so there should be no problem with that unless their is a lot of current going back through it, hence why there might be a problem with the fascia not being earthed.

matrnelson

Re: Static discharge to USB port restarts pc

Post by matrnelson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Sry for the delayed reply. It turns out that the GND from the usb module was shorted. Thermaltake sent me a new usb module and no more static!