Upgrade time: ASUS P8Z77-M OK with my old power supply?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

krick

Upgrade time: ASUS P8Z77-M OK with my old power supply?

Post by krick » Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm doing a major upgrade from a Core2Duo E5800 to a Core i5-2500K (swapping motherboard, cpu, memory). Everything else will be pretty much the same.

I have an Antec NSK3480 Micro ATX case with the included EarthWatts 380 Watt ATX12v v2.2 power supply.

I know the power supply is a bit on the small side, but for a microATX motherboard and a GeForce 9800GT, it seems to currently do the job just fine, even when overclocked.

With the new config, I'm concerned about two things...

1) The power supply only has a 4-pin 12vATX cable, while the new ASUS P8Z77-M motherboard has an 8-pin connector. I've heard some people claim that you can just plug the 4-pin plug into half of the 8-pin connector and it will be fine. Though I can't find any information from the manufacturer that this is true for this specific motherboard. Does anyone have experience with this? Are the 4 to 8 pin adapters of any use here?

2) Will the power supply be large enough? The old CPU was a dual core with a Max TDP of 65W, the new CPU is a quad core with a Max TDP of 95W.

washu

Re: Upgrade time: ASUS P8Z77-M OK with my old power supply?

Post by washu » Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Your power supply will be just fine. You can plug the 4 pin connector into the 8 pin plug, you don't need an adapter.