Replacing the stock cooler on an Intel E2220 CPU

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bon1

Replacing the stock cooler on an Intel E2220 CPU

Post by bon1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:16 am

Hey guys!

The stock cooler on my Intel E2220 has gotten noisier over the years so I'd like to buy a new cooler that, hopefully, will last me a long time as well as will be as silent as possible.

Now, I don't understand much about computers. But I know I have an Intel E2220 CPU which consumes 65W max. a micro ATX motherboard named ASUS P5KPL-AM-SE and a compact tower (also micro ATX???) Asus Vento m2. The computer's power supply resides a few millimeters above the CPU and there's overall a few millimeters around the stock Intel cooler to spare.

With all that being said and a long evening of Googling I found this cooler that *perhaps* is what I need: Artic Alpine 11 Plus. I haven't even checked its dimensions yet.

Given that you guys are super knowledgeable about silent coolers and you guys seem to have a lot of experience with the different combinations of mobos, CPUs, etc. I thought that you guys perhaps would be able to give me a bit of advice on different cooler possibilities.

Eventually, I would to keep this relatively inexpensive given the age of the computer (but I value reliability more).

bon1

Re: Replacing the stock cooler on an Intel E2220 CPU

Post by bon1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 am

Hello again guys, I really need to buy a replacement cooler asap. Can anyone tell me whether any of the following coolers will be reasonably silent with a good life span?
  • Arctic Alpine 11 Rev. 2
    Arctic Freezer 11 LP
    Arctic Freezer 7 LP
    Arctic Alpine 11 PLUS
I have no problem going with any other brand and model.

Thank you very much guys!

bon1

Post by bon1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Answer to myself:

I'll just buy a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 and hope it fits my computer machine well.

Problem solved. :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:26 pm

The E2220 uses Socket 775. If you go Cooler Master, maybe spend the extra $10 and go with the 212 Evo as it comes with a backplate and not the horrible push pins. Or, look at the Thermalright True Spirit 120m for a few more bucks. Might as well get a cooler you can migrate to the eventual next CPU.