Audio PC Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tjlee87

Audio PC Build

Post by tjlee87 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm planning to build an audio PC, here is a list of parts I've been looking at:

CPU: Intel 3770k or 3770 (no plan for overclocking)
RAM: any brand 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
PSU: Seasonic SS-520FL
GPU: Sapphire HD 7750 Ultimate (no plan for overclocking)
Case: Corsair Obsidian 550D
Fans: Scythe Slip Stream 800RPM (x3) + Slip Stream PWM (???RPM)
Cooler: any large heatsink
HD: either Samsung or Intel SSD, possibly stretch budget to go 1TB (4x256GB)
Optical Drive: something cheap

I think I'm fairly set on getting most these components but I'm a bit hesitant on pulling the trigger due to having 2 passive units in the build. What do you think about my build in terms of silence and temperature?

bonestonne

Re: Audio PC Build

Post by bonestonne » Thu May 02, 2013 5:37 am

If you're not overclocking, then there's no reason for the "k" model of any CPU.

The slip stream PWM fans are nice, but not all motherboard read/report the RPM correctly.

Cooler you should really put some thought into, the HR-02 macho would be a good pick, would also allow you to run low speed fans with little issues at all, keeping the noise down.

What audio interface will you be using, and what DAW software are you going for? 16gb of RAM is a lot, unless you're working with a huge amount of tracks, 8gb will be more than enough.

Just my $0.02 right now taking a quick look.

tjlee87

Post by tjlee87 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 am

bonestonne wrote:If you're not overclocking, then there's no reason for the "k" model of any CPU.

The slip stream PWM fans are nice, but not all motherboard read/report the RPM correctly.

Cooler you should really put some thought into, the HR-02 macho would be a good pick, would also allow you to run low speed fans with little issues at all, keeping the noise down.

What audio interface will you be using, and what DAW software are you going for? 16gb of RAM is a lot, unless you're working with a huge amount of tracks, 8gb will be more than enough.

Just my $0.02 right now taking a quick look.
OK, I'll ditch the "k".
For Slip Stream PWM fan, I plan to use it on CPU. Is HR-02 compatible with Scythe fans?
I am currently using RME Babyface as my audio interface and I run Cubase 5 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Since I like to use sampled instruments a lot, I figured getting 16GB might be better for me.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 pm

tjlee87 wrote:HD: either Samsung or Intel SSD, possibly stretch budget to go 1TB (4x256GB)
are you raiding the ssds? are you using a dedicated raid sata III card?
tjlee87 wrote:For Slip Stream PWM fan, I plan to use it on CPU. Is HR-02 compatible with Scythe fans?
Yes a 120mm fan should work fine on Thermalright HR-02 Macho the fan clips are for 120mm, the TY140 is a 140mm fan with 120mm holes, im using my HR02 with Noiseblocker PLPS (120mm fan) on my MicroMi build (check sig), but personally i think you should test the fan that comes with it, its not bad, it can be dropped off to 700rpm easily and its not that loud at that speed, now that there is a white/black version even looks decent, if you dont like it can later upgrade it.

Here is another confirmation on the HR02 + Slipstream PWM 120mm fan SY1225SL12LM-P, Boring but silent.

Btw where are you getting Slipstream PWM fans? they are out of stock everywhere in the US....

tjlee87

Post by tjlee87 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Abula wrote: are you raiding the ssds? are you using a dedicated raid sata III card?

Btw where are you getting Slipstream PWM fans? they are out of stock everywhere in the US....
No raid, I'm going to assign each ssd to 4 storages: OS, recordings, samples, misc.

You can find Scythe fans on eBay, it's bit costly though.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 02, 2013 10:01 pm

tjlee87 wrote:
Abula wrote: are you raiding the ssds? are you using a dedicated raid sata III card?
No raid, I'm going to assign each ssd to 4 storages: OS, recordings, samples, misc.
Ivy Bridge only has 2x Intel Sata III ports, and depending on the mobo 4x Intel sata II (and some have sata III 3rd party like marvels), but i would suggest to use for the ssd only the sata III ports, specially if you go into newer ssds like Samsung 840pro or Crucial M500, so this would mean to go with 2 instead of 4, 840pros are available in 512gb, so you will still have your desired 1tb of ssd space with 2x SSDs. Or if you want a single 1tb ssd for all, then Crucial M500 has 960gb, just out of stock everywhere (aside from 3rd party sellers), but should come soon back in stock. Or if you want to stay with samsung, and willing to drop a little from your desired 1tb to save some, you could go something like Samsung 840pro 256gb for OS/Programs and Samsung 840 (none pro) 500gb for your recodings/samples/misc.
tjlee87 wrote:
Abula wrote:Btw where are you getting Slipstream PWM fans? they are out of stock everywhere in the US....
You can find Scythe fans on eBay, it's bit costly though.
I suggest to test the included fan on the Macho, i like it, and you can always upgrade later. And for the case fans, if it starts to go expensive i would probably go with Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Fan - 850 RPM reviewed by SPCR on Fan Roundup #6: Scythe, Noiseblocker, Antec, Nexus, Thermalright. Or if you want cheaper the Nexus BASIC D12SL-12 120mm, its decent fan.

tjlee87

Post by tjlee87 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Updated build, acquired most of the components through Newegg's Labor day sale:

CPU: Intel 4770k (no plan for overclocking)*
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS Z87-PRO*
PSU: Seasonic SS-400FL*
GPU: integrated graphics*
Case: Corsair Obsidian 550D
Fans: Scythe Slip Stream 800RPM (x3)
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4
HD: Samsung 840 Pro, adding Samsung 840 EVO 1TB later**
Optical Drive: something cheap
Power Protection: Cyberpower CP850PFCLCD (it's triangle wave, unlike advertised, still works with active pfc)

*To achieve lower power consumption and thermal dissipation, I've decided to ditch Sapphire HD 7750 Ultimate. With the money saved from not buying a discrete GPU, I've decided to get 4770k as my CPU.
**I bought Samsung 840 Pro for $219 during Newegg's Labor day sale, this drive will be used for OS. Also, I will be getting Samsung 840 EVO 1TB as suggested by fellow SPCR member.