Low power pc

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

susicarlos4

Low power pc

Post by susicarlos4 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:35 am

Hello.
I do not remember but recently spoke to install pfsense firewall in a configuration that includes the motherboard Gigabyte Motherboard C847n MiniITX and sata hard disk. Has anyone installed pfsense on this motherboard?, And if so what has been the experience when the gigabyte NIC Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)?.
Thank you. :mrgreen:

Today I received new components for pfsense firewall.
D2500CC Intel Motherboard (Bulk) 2 Gigabyte LAN
In Win BM650 180W 80Plus Bronze White. Mini-ITX
Kingston 2GB SO-DIMM DDR-3 (Portable) 1333MHz (Single rank - 8 256Mb chips).

After installation publish the results.
regards
Last edited by susicarlos4 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

susicarlos4

Re: Low power pc

Post by susicarlos4 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:04 am

I installed pfsense on a machine with these features:

Motherboard: Intel Atom Processor NM10 chipset D2500CC (mini-itx 17 x 17) 2 Gigabyte LAN, Integrated Video, 2 serial ports, 2 USB 2.0, PS / 2, 2 sata ports. 2 DIMM RAM.
Torre: In Win BM650 180W 80Plus Bronze White. Mini-ITX, 2 SATA ports
Memory: Kingston 2GB SO-DIMM DDR-3 (Portable) 1333MHz (Single rank - 8 256Mb chips).
120Gb HDD Sata II.
Sata DVD burner drive.

Motherboard with integrated processor. Gigabyte have dual LAN and a PCI slot, for example, another NIC. The tower includes power PLUS80 Bronze certified. The DVD has been utilzada only for installation, then I closed the tower to manage browser and console via ssh. Very silent.

I looked a lot before deciding network and end everything went better than expected. The installation is based on pfsense 2.0.2-RELEASE (i386) 32-bit, perfect, I guess it would not have any drawback in installing 64bit pfsense because the hard disk (before installing pfsense) had a version of FreeBSD 9.0 x64 (an intel core 2 duo laptop - Intel graphics) and started with gnome2 graphics environment without problems. What to say of consumption sharply lower something that goes very well with the constant rises in electricity prices.

Squid, squidGuard, ligthSquid.

I love Unix!

HFat

Re: Low power pc

Post by HFat » Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 am

Intel stated in some places that only 32 bit is supported by this CPU familiy but it's actually a graphics driver issue that may or may not apply to your distro.
If you don't care for the graphics driver, 64 bit works fine.

Without a good driver, some tweaking or tricks such as putting the system in standby and bringing it back might reduce GPU power consumption.
But it probably doesn't matter with a generic PSU that's likely to waste a lot of power compared to the DC power consumption.