Trouble with 6450 video card install

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

srbliss

Trouble with 6450 video card install

Post by srbliss » Fri May 31, 2013 1:34 pm

I upgraded my 'big' system and took the 6450 video card from this system and put it into my office system that I use for email and web surfing at work, I want the discrete card so I can have the DVI output as it is much better on my monitor. It is a Gateway E4500S P4 with a 3.4 CPU with a PCIe x16 slot, I have a 'nlighted' striped down version of XPpro32 installed on it. When I attempt to install the drivers is begins and then hangs during 'detecting graphics hardware' I have the the latest BIOS, XP is up to date, and I have tried several versions of drivers including the latest beta and they all do the same thing. I am wondering if the video card is too new to work with this system or I may have removed something I should not have in nlight. The video card has been in two systems for about 18 months of non stop operation so I know it works just fine. Any ideas?
Thanks
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

washu

Re: Trouble with 6450 video card install

Post by washu » Fri May 31, 2013 2:10 pm

I have personally used an AMD 6450 under XP so I can attest that it works fine.

The issue is likely your nlighted XP install. The nlighting process likely stripped out something the driver needs. You can try adding things back in, but likely you are going to have to re-install normal XP.