Mini-ITX Gaming Computer Advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Denaut

Mini-ITX Gaming Computer Advice

Post by Denaut » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 am

Hello everyone,
I am finally, after like 6 years, building a new Gaming PC. This time though, my goals are slightly different than usual. I want to build (in order of priority) a small, quiet, and power efficient box.

I put together a spreadsheet with the build details, but in short:
  • Case: SUGO SG05 w 450W
  • CPU: Core i5-4670
  • CPU Cooler: Silverstone NT06-E
  • Motherboard: MSI H87I H87 S-1150
  • RAM: Ballistix Sport 2x8GB
  • Graphics Card: MSI Twin Frozr GTX760
  • SSD: Samsung 840p 256
There is no hard drive as I am using a NAS for storage.

My main technical concern is cooling. For noise I was planning to use the power supply fan to cool the otherwise passive CPU heat sink. The heat sink was designed to do this, however, I believe it is primarily designed to work with ATX power supplies that have 120mm instead of 80mm SFX fans. A little Googling around seemed to indicate that this was acceptable with an SG05 case. It doesn't seem to fit quite right, but there is like 1 or 2 mentions of it working fine with ivy or sandy bridge CPUs. I do not plan on overclocking anything.

I thought about going with the gold version of the power supply, but research indicated it is actually noisier than the bronze version.

My original build also included a 512GB SSD and GTX 770 instead, but cutting those down to 256 and 760 respectively saved me quite a bit of money. I don't necessarily mind spending the extra money if you guys think those components are worth the price.

Any advice anyone here is able to provide would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.