I need some advice for choosing my new system. Here are the requirements and use cases:
1. The system needs to be really quiet (it should be in my living room) at least it should be as quiet as a good laptop - that's why I am asking in this forum. I am thinking of a system which is cooled (almost) passive
2. I don't want to build the system by my own and it should be available in Germany.
3. Max. price limit: 1500 Euro
4. The system should run under linux, i.e. everything should be compatible with linux (good closed source drivers like in the case of nvidia would be ok).
5. Main use of the system: Generating and compiling large LaTeX documents, surfing in the internet. Often to view (HD-)movies, partially to cut videos. Often I do compile linux programs by myself, sometimes I do (small) scientific simulations. Rarely I like to play (simple) games, not high end games (I don't know if I will become more demanding in this point in the future, so the system should have some reserves).
6. I want the system to be very very responsive (so I want an SSD, in particular a Samsung 840 pro).
7. I want a stable system.
8. I don't like to buy new computers
so the required system life-time is 5years+
9. I am afraid of overheating the CPU while compiling for hours when the system is cooled only passive.
By googling around I discovered silentmaxx (in german) here is a possible config:
- Power Supply: Silentmaxx fanless 500 II
- Case: silentmaxxr-st-11r-pro
- Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H (or Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H)
- CPU: i7-4770k (Haswell)
- Cooling: Silentmaxx Twin Block
- RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Hyper DDR3-1600
- video card: integrated (intel HD 4600)
- Samsung SSD 840 pro (256 GB)
- Second HDD with 2TB (Seagate) (I am not sure if I need this, since I have all large data on an NAS)
- Sound: onBoard
- LG-GH-24NS DVD
Price: 1346 Euro
What do you think about this configuration?
In particular I am not sure about:
- the CPU/GPU combi:
Here it is perhaps a better option to go with the Ivy-Bridge i7-3770K because it has less thermal dissipation or even with the i7-3770S. However then the video card is even worse so I should get a dedicated card, the cheapest one on silentmaxx would be the GeForce 640 GT (seems also the only option if I want to go with Ivy bridge). Using Haswell I could choose the internal graphics, the GeForce 640 GT or even a GTX 670 (but which may be too expensive).
If I take i7-3770S together with a separate GPU, the thermal dissipation of the CPU drops but the seperate GPU will rise the overall thermal dissipation of the whole system, so I am not sure if this works with passive cooling.
- the Twin-Block:
Silentmaxx offers the Twin-Block with and without an additional fan. The fan is supposed to be only used if the CPU reaches a temperature limit.
So what do you think is the best option for my use case for a very quiet PC without being afraid of overheating it? Would be great if you could suggest a silentmaxx configuration or another system from another shop (but it must be available from Germany).