Can server board fit in Antec P183 v3 case?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

robnic21

Can server board fit in Antec P183 v3 case?

Post by robnic21 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am

I'm looking at purchasing an Asus P9X79-E WS (SSI CEB form factor) motherboard for long term upgrade-ability, reliability and stability. I have an Antec P183 v3 case for quieter computing which is a standard ATX form factor case. I contacted both Asus and Antec who both said the SSI CEB form factor board will not fit in a standard ATX case. I have read that many standard ATX form factor cases will fit a SSI CEB form factor board, so I measured my motherboard area which is almost 11 inches from the PCI-e back plate area to the back of the drive cages, so I think it might fit. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried fitting a server or workstation (SSI CEB form factor) motherboard in an Antec P183 v3 (standard ATX form factor) case? I will be removing the middle drive cage to fit an Asus GTX770 DC2OC graphics card so that should give me even more room. Any help will be appreciated. I don't want to return a motherboard if possible. Thanks!

flemeister

Re: Can server board fit in Antec P183 v3 case?

Post by flemeister » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:47 pm

I think you'll be fine. SSI CEB is really just standard ATX size plus 23mm or 7/8" of extra width on the PCB. And there aren't any chunks of metal in the P183 stopping you from installing it.

Removing the middle drive cage shouldn't be necessary, but you'll probably want to remove it for easier cable management. :)

robnic21

Post by robnic21 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Thank you for your vote of confidence. I'll try it out. Since I don't need the middle drive cage, it would free up more room without it like you said for cable management. Also an ASUS GTX770 DC2OC would be a tight fit if I left the cage in. Thanks again!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08 pm

That board is so close to large ATX boards, I would expect that it should fit totally fine in there. At worst, it may block parts of the case where the cables can poke through.

I'm using a smaller case and I squeezed in a large ATX board, so you shouldn't have any problems with what you're looking to do.

robnic21

Post by robnic21 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for you input! I'm going to try it and hope for the best. I appreciate your reply and thanks again.