Jerky mouse pointer. Enhance pointer precision not working.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dragonfruit

Jerky mouse pointer. Enhance pointer precision not working.

Post by dragonfruit » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:37 pm

I miss the mouse pointer movement from Windows XP. Is there any way to 'import' the way the mouse was behaving in Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit?

In Windows XP with the Enhance pointer precision turned on the mouse moved as it should, i.e. quite smoothly all the time and with good precision. While in Windows 7 I cannot find setting neither with Windows Mouse options nor with the Logitech SetPoint for Wireless Mouse M305 so that it would move smoothly and precisely. It moves jerky to so extent that I have great troubles pointing precisely. I often have to move the mouse several times to point precisely enough in the place I want to click (in Windows XP with the Enhance pointer precision turned on usually I was able to point preciselly the first time instantly). That is so very distracting, and annoying that it hinders normal work with computer, and I spent already several days looking for a solution, all in vain.
Also sometimes the mouse pointer gets stuck for as long as a second or two.

I uninstalled Catalyst drivers hoping that perhaps they interfere. Nope. I even installed on a separate disk Windows XP in this computer to test if it is not a hardware problem. Nope. The mouse works as it should in Windows XP with Enhance pointer precision turned on, the pointer there is moving precisely and smoothly.

Turning on the Enhance pointer precision in Windows 7 seems to work exactly opposite to Windows XP. While in Win XP it made the mouse pointer more precise and moving more smoothly all the time, in Windows 7 it only accelerates the mouse pointer considerably, but does not increase precision at all, makes it rather even less precise.

Is there a way to fix this problem? Do I really have to suffer like this with this jerky mouse pointer? Is the only solution to go back and install Windows XP, as my main system again, with its memory limitation, no build in TRIM and so on?

BTW, I use 150% DPI set in system Control Panel for text magnification. But when it was less than 150% the problems with the mouse were the same in Windows 7.

Spoon Boy

Re: Jerky mouse pointer. Enhance pointer precision not worki

Post by Spoon Boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:19 am

Enhance pointer precision is badly named, it should be called mouse acceleration as that's what it does, moves the pointer faster the faster you move the mouse.
Some things to try all the same are to check your running the latest version of Setpoint, http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/support/3 ... =14&bit=64
It may also be that the Setpoint software is reseting the Windows enhance pointer precision setting, http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-and- ... d-p/561430

Other than trying those, when you mention its jerky and sometime stops, have you tried plugging it into a different USB port, also try cleaning the sensor under the mouse with a Q-tip. When i had a mouse that started to freeze like this the mouse was on its last legs, and i would get the hardware disconnect/reconnect sound when playing games.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:18 am

If setpoint works differently regarding hardware between windows versions, you should change your mousepad, test it with a white paper. Errattic mouse movement can be caused by unsuited mousepads.

dragonfruit

Post by dragonfruit » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 am

Pappnaas wrote:If setpoint works differently regarding hardware between windows versions, you should change your mousepad, test it with a white paper. Errattic mouse movement can be caused by unsuited mousepads.
It is perhaps slightly better on white paper, but just slightly. I uninstalled setpoint yesterday, and I am using only Windows setting now (not that it helps much, though).

dragonfruit

Post by dragonfruit » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 am

Tried plugging it into a different USB port. The mouse is clean. Setpoint was the newest.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:16 am

Uninstall any previous mouse driver(s) and see if that helps?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:39 am

I had that issue when more than one user was logged on, because the setpoint settings were not the same for each user.
setpoint has always seemed really clunky to me (even in xp). Logitech makes some nice mice, they just cant seem to write their software as good as they build their hardware.

where do you have the receiver plugged in? how far is it to mouse, and does the signal need to go through the case or desk ect.?

edit: what is the resource monitor say for boot "disk que length"?

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 am

Just going on some stuff I've picked up from other places :oops:

In the setpoint software turn off "use native drivers"

Turns out Windows Firewall and/or NOD32 was the problem.
Disabling both and reinstalling SetPoint solved my problem. (re-enable afterwards)

In the Unifying Software tab, running the Unifying Software; choosing Advanced and unpairing Mouse, and then (using the keyboard) re-pairing the mouse

Try temporarily uninstalling Setpoint (reboot), to test if its a problem with Windows or Setpoint.

dragonfruit

Post by dragonfruit » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:04 am

xan_user wrote: edit: what is the resource monitor say for boot "disk que length"?
I can't see what's on the resource monitor, because when I run it only the current background (I mean whatever is under the resource monitor window at the moment) is displayed in it (I know it is weird).

Also disk LED blinks every second, and I do not know why.

I tried different USB ports.