Seeking bedroom HTPC recommendations

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Seeking bedroom HTPC recommendations

Post by 0118999 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:58 pm

I have an AMD A6-3500 and a ASUS F1A55-M (micro-ATX) motherboard that I want to repurpose for use in a HTPC in my bedroom. I also have a SSD and some RAM lying around to use for this project. There will be no optical drive. I want it to be a quiet as possible, but I only want to spend around $150 on the case/psu/heatsink. Unfortunately, the budget constraint rules out HDPlex and Streacom options. I also want something that doesn't look terrible sitting on a bedroom dresser (which rules out towers). This HTPC will only play movies and tv shows (no games or emulators) which are stored on a NAS, so I have the option of undervolting and underclocking the CPU.

I'm leaning toward a Pico PSU, but finding a micro-ATX case that supports them seems problematic. I'm sure there must be some out there, but I haven't been able to find them.

Abula

Re: Seeking bedroom HTPC recommendations

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:14 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Since you are limited by not being able to use tower, my suggestion is to go with Silverstone Tek GD05B-USB3.0 Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX HTPC Computer Case with 2X USB3.0 Front Ports Cases (Black) $105, was reviewed by SPCR and got the editor choice, Silverstone Grandia GD05: A Versatile HTPC Case.

I personally havent tested any new amd setups to know the consumption of the A6 (so up to you to check that out), but maybe something like picoPSU-120/10A 120W AC-DC $52 could work out, you could install the brick inside and do a dark plastic cover on the back or leave it external, what ever you like.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:32 am

What you want to do can be achieved with a WDTV live box or a similar one. No need to go full PC.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:07 am

Pappnaas wrote:What you want to do can be achieved with a WDTV live box or a similar one. No need to go full PC.
An appliance is a good route to go (cheap, very low power, passive) unless you need a browser for free services like TV websites or the free side of Hulu.