Looking for help on a new quiet build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shikhan

Looking for help on a new quiet build

Post by shikhan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi guys,
It's time now for me to build a new primary system, and I was looking for some help speccing it out. My priorities are stability, low noise, speed, gaming. Primarily, this is used for image editing (I occasional do large Panos in PS that churns even on my current system for a while), web browsing, office work, and the occasional gaming (Skyrim, DOTA 2, etc).

This system is going to be based around a Core i7 4770 95W processor (yes, I know the that the 4770 is 84W part. This is an ES with TDP at 95W) @ 3.5Ghz (stock)

I have a budget of up to $1000, although if I can stay below that, I'd like to spend that money towards a new monitor or two.

Here is currently what I am thinking:

Here is my current thoughts:
CPU: i7 4770 (Owned)
Heatsink: Thermalright HR-02 ($53)
MB: Asus H87-PRO $120
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 1.35V ($115) or
G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR 1866 1.5v ($127-$12.70=$114)

GPU: MSI Geforce 760 2GB $260
Case: Unknown - Looking for a quiet case - I'm leaning towards Fractal Design R4 just because I see it mentioned a lot ($110)
PS: SeaSonic X650 $140-$21-$15=$104
SSD : 240GB Intel SSD 520 series (Owned)
HDD : 1TB WD Blue (Owned)
Monitors: Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 25" LCD @ 1920x1200 (owned)
Sceptre 20" WSXGA+ LCD @ 1680x1050 (Owned)
DVDDrive: Asus 24x DVD ($20)
Keyboard Mouse: Might just reuse my current wireless setup, open for wireless suggestions

Total: $504+ $278 = $782

I'm building this at the moment expecting to reuse my 2 monitors, 240 GB Intel 550 SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD.
The MSI 760 seems to be highly recommended around here for power vs noise.

I'm entirely in the dark on the case and PS and am looking for options, along with a heatsink, as mine didn't come with a stock HS

Edit: reformat and links
Last edited by shikhan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abula

Re: Looking for help on a new quiet build

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Processor Core i7 4770
Im assuming you already own it since its ES sample.
Cooler ??
Thermalright HR-02 Macho would be my pick, reviewed by SPCR, Thermalright HR-02 Macho Quiet/Fanless Cooler. Or if you can wait some, seems scythe us distribution might happen in september, Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back
MB ASUS Z87-PRO $200
Why so expensive motherboard if you are not overclocking? you should be fine with H87 or B85 mobo, is there any feature you really looking in that motherboard? else ASUS H87-PRO $120, already comes with FanXpert2.
RAM Corsair 16 GB (4x4GB) $130
Whatever is approved by the motherboard of you choice is fine, Asus is pretty good to have a qualified list of memories, check the support page for the motherboard, link, and buy whatever is on that list. if you go for 16gb, i would prefer to go 8gbx 2 than 4x4, so you have the flexibility of expanding in the future to 32gb or even to resell them later on, it will be easier to sell 8gb modules than 4gb.
GPU MSI 760 4GB $300
Seems like the best noise wise on GTX760. Just grab it from amazon, its $40 to $50 less. MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Graphics Cards N760 TF 2GD5/OC
CASE ??
Fractal Design Define R4 Cases $80 free shipping, i would add one Fractal Design Silent Series R2 FD-FAN-SSR2-140 140mm 140mm Fan, to have 2 in and one out and have positive pressure.
PS ??
SeaSonic SSR-550RM $80 free shipping or if you have a bigger budget, KingWin LZP-550 $142, reviewed by SPCR Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W Power Supply. Another alternative is seasonic X series, newegg has a sale on Seasonic PSU, in a lot of them 15% off, SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold + 15% off w/ promo code EMCXMVN256, ends 9/2 = $110.

shikhan

Post by shikhan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Abula wrote:
Cooler ??
Thermalright HR-02 Macho would be my pick, reviewed by SPCR, Thermalright HR-02 Macho Quiet/Fanless Cooler. Or if you can wait some, seems scythe us distribution might happen in september, Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back
Yes, after looking around a bit more, I am leaning towards the HR-02. However, has anyone actually used one on a LGA 1150? I've only seen reviews for it on 1155/1156.
MB ASUS Z87-PRO $200
Why so expensive motherboard if you are not overclocking? you should be fine with H87 or B85 mobo, is there any feature you really looking in that motherboard? else ASUS H87-PRO $120, already comes with FanXpert2.
You're right - I hadn't taken a good look at the alternatives. I'm now leaing towards the H87-PRO or perhaps even the H87-PLUS
RAM Corsair 16 GB (4x4GB) $130
Whatever is approved by the motherboard of you choice is fine, Asus is pretty good to have a qualified list of memories, check the support page for the motherboard, link, and buy whatever is on that list. if you go for 16gb, i would prefer to go 8gbx 2 than 4x4, so you have the flexibility of expanding in the future to 32gb or even to resell them later on, it will be easier to sell 8gb modules than 4gb.
Good point - I will definitely do this and find 2x8gb instead.
GPU MSI 760 4GB $300
Seems like the best noise wise on GTX760. Just grab it from amazon, its $40 to $50 less. MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Graphics Cards N760 TF 2GD5/OC
Thanks for the heads up on the price difference, but the Amazon card is the 2GB version. I was leaning towards the 4GB for both photography and to somewhat future proof...
CASE ??
Fractal Design Define R4 Cases $80 free shipping, i would add one Fractal Design Silent Series R2 FD-FAN-SSR2-140 140mm 140mm Fan, to have 2 in and one out and have positive pressure.
PS ??
SeaSonic SSR-550RM $80 free shipping or if you have a bigger budget, KingWin LZP-550 $142, reviewed by SPCR Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W Power Supply. Another alternative is seasonic X series, newegg has a sale on Seasonic PSU, in a lot of them 15% off, SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold + 15% off w/ promo code EMCXMVN256, ends 9/2 = $110.
Do you think I need 550W? The SeaSonic 450W is only $75. Although the power efficiency of the Kingwin looks nice!

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:23 pm

shikhan wrote:Yes, after looking around a bit more, I am leaning towards the HR-02. However, has anyone actually used one on a LGA 1150? I've only seen reviews for it on 1155/1156.
It doesnt matter, 1150 has the same distance between the mounting holes as 1155/1156. I have a HR02 (none macho) installed on a GENE VI 1150 motherboard, mounting work fine.
shikhan wrote:You're right - I hadn't taken a good look at the alternatives. I'm now leaing towards the H87-PRO or perhaps even the H87-PLUS
=)
shikhan wrote:Good point - I will definitely do this and find 2x8gb instead.
Remember once you decided on the motherboard, to check QV list of already checked memories so you avoid incompatibilities, not a big deal but if you can buy something that works you avoid having to deal with rma.
shikhan wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the price difference, but the Amazon card is the 2GB version. I was leaning towards the 4GB for both photography and to somewhat future proof...
If you will use the memory then go for it, very few games will take the advantage of 4gb, like skyrim. The vast mayority you wont see any difference at all. And future proofing imo not worth it, i would prefer the save the $50 and upgrade the gpu down the road if you need to, 2gb is not small, most games wont even use that at 1080p. Now if you do use it on your photography, then go for it.
shikhan wrote:Do you think I need 550W? The SeaSonic 450W is only $75. Although the power efficiency of the Kingwin looks nice!
You should be fine with 450, your setup probably wont draw above 350W on load. But most of the GPU manfucturer are recommending around 550W, probably over recommending cuase of the vast bad quality psu out there, but still i like to have some room if i upgrade to another gpu that do needs a little more power, or add more stuff to the PC, its your call, its $5 difference between 450 n 550, but the 450 should be more than fine for your current setup.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Your system's stressed load power is ~300-315W. Actual load while heavy gaming is probably in the 250W range. You could go with the 450W, but it might start to ramp the fan while gaming.

Also, step away from those big honking heatspreaders on RAM. They really don't add any value and can get in the way of your CPU cooler. Look for low profile, instead. In fact, you can find a few 1.35V RAM when you start your search for 2 x8GB.

Another cooler: Noctua NH-U12S.

shikhan

Post by shikhan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks guys for the help so far!

I've updated the main post, but basically I have three questions still:

1) I'm debating between the following RAM. Neither is explicitly listed on the H87-PRO comparability list, but it seems like similar ram from the same brand is listed:
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 1.35V ($115) or

2) On the case, I was under the impression that the windowless models will be quieter. It doesn't seem that SPCR has reviewed the R4, but does anyone have any experience if it is really that noticeable? I'm wondering if it is worth the ~$25 price difference.

3) Is there any difference between these two heatsinks:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MS326U
http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-BW-S ... 008YTUN38/

After researching a bit more into the PS, while I'd love to get the Kingwin, it seems the SeaSonic X650 will be about as quiet outside of heavy load, which seams to make it worth saving the $40 there...

[edit] I also decided to drop down from the 4GB GPU to the 2GB GPU. Most of the filters benefited by the better GPU turn out are ones I don't use much. I'd get a benefit from smother zooming, but it's not too bad on my system even now. [/edit]

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:58 pm

shikhan wrote:1) I'm debating between the following RAM. Neither is explicitly listed on the H87-PRO compatability list, but it seems like similar ram from the same brand is listed:
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 1.35V ($115) or
I also was on a similar dilema, i wanted very low profile memory as im still waiting for Noctua NH-D15, and now a days memory heatsinks are more a marketing and visual thing that a real practical cooling solution, beside the way the current gens of platforms overclocking memory isnt as it used be in terms of gains on OCing. At the beginning i wanted the super raved Samsung 30nm which is also a very low profile memory, its been value by a lot of ocers as one of the best, but its very expensive now as there is no supply on newegg/amazon only imported directly from japan and they didnt release 8gb modules... only 4gb so went to look for similar memory in terms of height so could have the option into moving into a twin tower cooler down the road, so i found Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS4C8G3D1609ES2LX0, and was on sale when haswell was released at $203, all the other kits were almost like $140 for 16gb, so why not.... gonna gamble with it even if it wasn't on the Asus QV list, and it booted fine on my Asus Maximus VI Gene, XMP was recognized fine and its running at 1.35V, no issues at all.

So here is up to you, its a gamble that paid off for me, but i always recommend to go by QV list, as Asus does test a lot of memory with thier mobos, but again up to you.
shikhan wrote:2) On the case, I was under the impression that the windowless models will be quieter. It doesn't seem that SPCR has reviewed the R4, but does anyone have any experience if it is really that noticable? I'm wondering if it is worth the ~$25 price difference.
I seen sales of both models, just right now is the windowed version, i linked out of the price was much lower atm. Probably the none window will be quieter, but in my experience as long as you put very quiet components inside the case matter little, not to say doesn't matter at all. SPCR has reviewed a lot of quiet oriented cases, and most get silver awards, and not quiet oriented like Silvestone FT02 and TJ08-E have gotten editors choices, out of their cooling, design, efficiency etc, i have built on TJ08-E a very quiet build and been happy even if this case wasn't made on quiet computing. I'm now in the process of moving back to ATX, for the Thermalright HR22 (rumors that it will be out very shortly, or NH-D15 at years end), i have a Fractal Design Define R4 (not windowed) and Arc Midi R2 on my way (still on a boat), and ill test both to see how much Define fares against Arc Midi. I have a theory that i haven't proven yet, is weather a more open case with less restriction allow for more efficient cooling to the point that you can take your fans even lower and maintaining better temps and noise, this is what i trying to test, again just a theory, but since the cases are extremely similar in the inside its going to be fun to do.

Now all that said, i do think the none windowed version might be slightly more quiet, out of having more bitumen and steel should let less noise pass.... its up to you if you find it worth extra $25.
shikhan wrote:After researching a bit more into the PS, while I'd love to get the Kingwin, it seems the SeaSonic X650 will be about as quiet outside of heavy load, which seams to make it worth saving the $40 there...
Its a nice PSU the X650, and always on Newegg seems to be cheaper, even when the X660 gold was released, they continue to have the 650, i though it was going to get replaced... but still there. Worth mentioning that some people have had issues with Seasonic in terms of coil/whinning, in my personal experience, this hasnt been an issue with a X400 and X660 that i own for more than two years, for me Seasonic still perfect. Kingwin has also had comments of whining/coil, but much less than seasonic, there is no prefect PSU out there, and a lot say its a combination of hardware and even bios settings that makes this and not the PSU alone... but i just bring it up as a warning not to avoid its purchase.
shikhan wrote:3) Is there any difference between these two heatsinks:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MS326U
http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-BW-S ... 008YTUN38/
In theory its just the fan, one uses the TY141 (green/grey) and the other uses the TY147 (black/white), to what i read they are the same fan just colors, but initially the first of this fans was the TY140 that differ on the bearing, i think the newer are ball bearing and the old was Sleeve bearing. But cross check this, as when i bought the MACHO there was only the green/grey version, but to me if its the same, i would go with black/white for $2, specially if you have a windowed case that will match the black n white theme of the R4. If you wish to get it cheaper, you can also buy it directly from Nan's Gaming Gear, same reseller as on amazon, here is the link, Macho Rev A (BW) $42.92 free shipping, also recommended to email them to see whats the difference between two versions, they are the only US autorized reseller of thermalright, and very friendly i might add, i asked them if there will be a black n white version of the silver arrow, the same day they modified to include the option on the page.

laststop

Post by laststop » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Go with the 1.35v 1600mhz ram. Intel chips basically have no need for anything over 1600. Ram doesn't produce a ton of heat but it's always nice to cut back any amount of heat you can at every location possible. And you can easily raise the ram voltage to 1.5 and easily overclock it if you really want the faster speed. The ram that runs on lower voltage is just better binned parts. Takes better parts to run at lower voltage.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6479/nano ... you-got-it

read that review. Anandtech is known for very good quality reviews. The nanoxia deep silence 1 is hard to come by in the US but newegg has it in stock right now. it was 109.99 when I bought. If you can afford 200 dollars the silverstone rv02 is an amazing case with triple 180mm intakes and the input shield and pci slots are at the top of the case not the rear. Hel[ps with the natural flow of heat. The 3x 180mm and 1x 120/140mm exhause give you a good amount of positive pressure. And even with the 180mm fans on low speed the cooling was exceptional and very good noise characteristics. It's going to be my next case. If you can afford 250 the ft02 also by silverstone is the same design as the rv02 but with higher quality materials for the case.

shikhan

Post by shikhan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 am

I just wanted to come back and give an update.

I ended up buying the following system:
CPU: i7 4770
Heatsink: Thermalright HR-02 BW
MB: Asus H87-PRO
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 1.35V
Case: Fractal Design R4
PS: SeaSonic X650
SSD : 240GB Intel SSD 520 series
HDD : 1TB WD Blue
Monitors: Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 25" LCD @ 1920x1200
Sceptre 20" WSXGA+ LCD @ 1680x1050
DVDDrive: Reused old dvd drive
Keyboard Mouse: Reused old keyboard/mouse

It works beautifully! At first, I was disappointed in the noise, but I realized that it is just my old DVD drive that is incredibly loud. I may end up replacing the drive, but I'm really not sure how much I'll use the drive, and if new drives are that much quieter.

A few learnings. I found out that the ASUS utilities that came on the CD with the H87 were somewhat borked - everything worked, but it couldn't (1) keep settings through a reboot and (2) didn't believe there were updates available. Luckily, the LAN drivers worked, let me get online and grab new files from ASUS. However, this presented an even more perplexing and frustrating problem when the setup files provided by ASUS didn't work - UAC prompts shows and then nothing. After some googling, it turns out this is a thing and a workaround was found.

But small rant aside, this thing is quiet! I was honestly expecting the graphics card to be a bit loud, but the MSI tools let me drop the speed down to 30%, which is surprisingly quiet (silent considering ambiet). And I've got the Asus FanXpert set up so that most of the time, only the CPU fan and the front lower input fan are on, and at very low speeds. When things warm up a bit, the 2nd input and rear output fan turn on.

After stress testing (4+ hrs) this with Prime95 and MSI kombustor, I was surprised to see that the system never needed the fans to go over 600-700 rps, which proved to still be very quiet.

All in all, I'm thrilled with my new system and wanted to say thank you for helping me build it!

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am

shikhan wrote:All in all, I'm thrilled with my new system and wanted to say thank you for helping me build it!
Im glad all work out, you chose very good quiet components, and the outcome is a really nice and quiet PC, im happy you were able to finish with a great pc. Btw did you went with the windowed version or the none windowed R4?
shikhan wrote:It works beautifully! At first, I was disappointed in the noise, but I realized that it is just my old DVD drive that is incredibly loud. I may end up replacing the drive, but I'm really not sure how much I'll use the drive, and if new drives are that much quieter.
Once most of the components are quiet, you start to point out very easily noisy components. I havent installed an optical drive in 4 years, i do have one for the occasional use that i left a sata power on the back of the case easily accessible and have a pre routed sata cable on the back, so for installs is the only time i use them, it just adds noise imo and not worth it anymore to have installed permanently, but there are some that still needed for working, in this case i recomend a USB external and just connect it when you really needed it.

I have a couple of requests, if you have the time,
shikhan wrote:I ended up buying the following system:
CPU: i7 4770
Heatsink: Thermalright HR-02 BW
MB: Asus H87-PRO
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 1.35V
Case: Fractal Design R4
PS: SeaSonic X650
SSD : 240GB Intel SSD 520 series
HDD : 1TB WD Blue
Monitors: Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 25" LCD @ 1920x1200
Sceptre 20" WSXGA+ LCD @ 1680x1050
DVDDrive: Reused old dvd drive
Keyboard Mouse: Reused old keyboard/mouse
1) Some pics, i bet looks very nice with the B/W Macho and the black n white theme of the R4.

2) If you could post a screenshot of the FanXpert2 of the TY147 of the macho, i have build only with the TY140/TY141, and really wanted to see how low it idles. In my experience the lowest i been able to drop it is around 700rpm, but some have reached 600rpm, but im still wondering how low fanXpert2 is able to drop it.

3) On the Guru3d review of the MSI N760, they said the fans even turn off on very low temps on idle, but wanted confirmation from real users.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Congrats on your build.

Yeah, they shouldn't even bother with CD based drivers as they are instantly out of date. The CD should just provide accurate links to where the current drivers reside for download.

shikhan

Post by shikhan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Abula wrote: 1) Some pics, i bet looks very nice with the B/W Macho and the black n white theme of the R4.

2) If you could post a screenshot of the FanXpert2 of the TY147 of the macho, i have build only with the TY140/TY141, and really wanted to see how low it idles. In my experience the lowest i been able to drop it is around 700rpm, but some have reached 600rpm, but im still wondering how low fanXpert2 is able to drop it.

3) On the Guru3d review of the MSI N760, they said the fans even turn off on very low temps on idle, but wanted confirmation from real users.
Sure, I'll post pictures up soon. I really do like the black & white theme going on here. I've thought about lighting up the system since I have the windowed case, but haven't really decided how/what to go with.

I need to check on the fans - I don't think they actually turned off, but I haven't checked. I'll do that when I get home.
CA_Steve wrote:Congrats on your build.

Yeah, they shouldn't even bother with CD based drivers as they are instantly out of date. The CD should just provide accurate links to where the current drivers reside for download.
Actually, I'm glad they did. I installed Win7 and it had none of the needed drivers for me to be to do anything - no LAN, no USB, no chipset, no video. I'd have to borrow my neighbor's computer to burn the needed drivers to get things working. I just wish the software they gave was validated a bit more. The same can go for their online utilities though. :)

shikhan

Post by shikhan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Abula wrote: 1) Some pics, i bet looks very nice with the B/W Macho and the black n white theme of the R4.

I haven't been able to get my pictures of the system uploaded yet, but I did get a chance to look at your last two requests:

It looks like I can get the TY147 down to ~544 RPMs:

As for the MSI N760, I can only get it down to about 30-35%. I'm not sure how Guru3d got the fan to turn off... Maybe a different version of MSI Afterburner? I double checked and even at very low usage/temps, the fan is running (visual check). It's not too loud, although I can hear it if I put my head right next to the case...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Don't put your head next to the case :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:19 pm

shikhan thanks for the screenshots, that clears it to me, the TY147 able to drop around 600rpm, mine idles at 700 and its very quiet, i bet at those rpm is almost inaudible. Also thanks for confirming the fans on the N760 dont stop, i did find it hard to belive but none the less they posted it on the review.... and it was somthing that i would be interested if it was real, thanks for checking it out. Personally i regret not waiting for the custom coolers, the N780 seems also the most quiet of them all, MSI in general did a great job on the 7 series.

Well when you get a chance, not pressuring you, really interested into seeing how it looks.

Thanks again for the pics, enjoy your silent pc =)

Ren0ir

Post by Ren0ir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:32 am

I just got an MSI 760 as well, and the fans on mine didn't go to zero at idle either. It would likely require a firmware/bios mod for it to go below 34% or 900-1000 rpm, but it is certainly quiet. The setup I'm using is not in a case yet, currently placed on the table, next to my monitor and about half a meter (about two feet) from me. With an ambient of 20 degrees c, fan locked at 34% and using heaven bench as loading, I got to 61 degrees. Running it at full (really loud) I never passed 41. :)

I've since gone ahead and removed the two fans and the shroud, and I'm currently using a NF-P14 to cool it. In idle, it can go passive, and at load I can let it stay below 600 rpm, which is very quiet (14'ish SPL according to SPCR, NH-D14 review), reaching 81 degrees using heaven. The distance between the fan and the heat sink can be seen in the picture and should probably be decreased, but I'm still just experimenting until I get my case.

Edit:
I forgot to mention an imporant thing about the card however. It produces a quite audible electronic hizz, or coil whine, proportional to load (none at idle). It is possible that this noise could be made irrelevant by a combination of a case and distance, but right now it is the largest source of noise in my system. It is completely eliminated by my headphones (without any sound playing), so I'm good for now.