It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Low-profile fanless media PC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:40 am 

After reading a few reviews at spcr and checking out what is available over here, I landed on the configuration below. Any feedback?

Code:
Streacom IR-Reciever& Remote Control $34
Corsair Value S. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB KIT $102
Streacom FC5B WS EVO $306 ("EVO" supposedly supports 95W TDP?)
Streacom NANO150 PSU Adaptor $118 (is this all I need?)
Streacom ST-OB2 DVD±RW/Blu-Ray Reader $127 (obnoxiously expensive slim BD. Hopefully not too noisy)
Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB 2.5" OEM $204
Speed-Link SCION Trackball Media Keyboar $85 (compact wireless keyboards with integrated trackball are few and far between. Info on reach and battery life is nearly impossible to come by)
Intel Core i5-4570S Processor $246 (the power of Haswell along with 65W TDP)
ASUS H81I-PLUS, Socket-1150 $110 (this model was a lot cheaper than other mobos. Hope that it will fit the case)
total: $1332

"Recommended CPU TDP 65W, Max TDP 95W As with any passive cooling solution, environmental conditions will have an impact on the performance. A TDP of 95W is only recommended when the chassis is placed in a location with adequate air flow and moderate ambient room temperature."

I use my living-room PC for HD film and music playback, for tv streaming and for viewing images (Adobe Lightroom). My old Silverstone/Core2 duo is getting slow and while it was low-noise for its time, it seems that I can go entirely noiseless today.

I want a generic PC/software solution so that I can tackle whatever media I might throw at it for the next few years without having to transcode.

Storage is taken care of by a NAS/gigabit ethernet.

regards
k