Best CPU-cooler & fans for 4670k in a Fortress FT-02

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mrc112

Best CPU-cooler & fans for 4670k in a Fortress FT-02

Post by Mrc112 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 am

I'm currently doubting between 3 cpu-coolers for my 4670k (that will be overclocked) in a FT-02:
* Thermalright HR-02 Macho
* Phanteks PH-TC14PE
* Thermalright True Spirit 140mm (yes, this does exist too)
* noctua nh-u14s

The HR-22 (now that's big) is not yet considered since no release-date or specs are known. However it seems to be a heatsink that will do very well in the airmonster that the ft-02 is.

I've had a Prolimatech genesis with the 140mm Red Vortex fans (in a different case) which I loved, but apparently the Genesis does not work well in the rotated FT-02

Second question is the fan to use. I assume all 3 heatsinks above will do very well in the FT-02, but the heatsink-choice will influence the fan-choice (I'm afraid that the magnificent Red Vortex fans from prolimatech will not have enough static pressure for the Macho for example)

Fans I'm looking at:
* The prolimatech red vortex
* the Phanteks ph-f140HP. However, this fan seems hard to find in Belgium (& surrounding countries). the Phanteks PH-F140TS is easier to find, but according to the phankteks site, the "HP" is the heatsink model, while the "TS" is the casefan model. More help here would be appreciated
* Thermalright ty-140mm (comes with the True spirit)
* Noctua NF-a15

Any advise on the best combo (both cooling & silence) would be appreciated.
Also, if I missed some very good heatsinks or fans: please tell me :)

Thanks

quest_for_silence

Re: Best CPU-cooler & fans for 4670k in a Fortress FT-02

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 am

Mrc112 wrote:Any advise on the best combo (both cooling & silence) would be appreciated.
Also, if I missed some very good heatsinks or fans: please tell me :)
I just can tell that, after evaluating some 140mm heatsink fans (including the Vortex and various Thermalright), I ended up with the Slipstream (now discontinued), so I think positive pressure shouldn't be such an issue for that job.

But, given the generally high proficiency of any of the quoted cooler, the actual results remain largely unpredictable in such a particular case (there're three AP blowing upwards, aren't there?) as the Fortress is: IMHO, of course.

Abula

Re: Best CPU-cooler & fans for 4670k in a Fortress FT-02

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:00 am

Mrc112 wrote:I'm currently doubting between 3 cpu-coolers for my 4670k (that will be overclocked) in a FT-02:
* Thermalright HR-02 Macho
* Phanteks PH-TC14PE
* Thermalright True Spirit 140mm (yes, this does exist too)
* noctua nh-u14s
The twin towers will net you better temps, so out of your list the Phantek PH-TC14PE should net you the lowest temps. The macho would be very good on low rpms, haswell do get really hot with slight voltage bump, so idk how it might work out. Atm i have stock my 4770K and it can easily reach 75C on prime95 with an HR02 with TY150 running at 1000rpm, so for me to overclock it i would need much better cooler, probably a custom waterloop, or get higher rpms fans but will have to accept more noise. That said, i idle at 30C on 20C ambient, and in games doesn't pass 50C, with TY150 at 530rpm and my Noctua NF-A14 PWM (case fans) at 250rpms, but my Define R4 is no where near your FT02 in terms of air cooling.
Mrc112 wrote:The HR-22 (now that's big) is not yet considered since no release-date or specs are known. However it seems to be a heatsink that will do very well in the airmonster that the ft-02 is.[/url]
Im also really interested on HR22, it should be out very soon, maybe october. No specs out yet, but out of seeing it will come wiht TY150 it will be safe to assume it will have similar height to the Archon SBE, crosscheck it will fit in FT02, my guess is it wont. Another thing worth mentioning about the HR22 is that it will wider, taking the first PCIe slot (most of the time is x1, but in some motherboards like the Asus Maximus VI Extreme is a 16x), in my HR02 its really close but still can fit a card there.. Another cooler that might come before years end is Noctua revision of their twin tower cooler, NH-D14, some say its going to be named NH-D15 out of coming with twin NF-A15 PWM fans, others say it will just be NH-D14v2.
Mrc112 wrote:Second question is the fan to use. I assume all 3 heatsinks above will do very well in the FT-02, but the heatsink-choice will influence the fan-choice (I'm afraid that the magnificent Red Vortex fans from prolimatech will not have enough static pressure for the Macho for example)

Fans I'm looking at:
* The prolimatech red vortex
* the Phanteks ph-f140HP. However, this fan seems hard to find in Belgium (& surrounding countries). the Phanteks PH-F140TS is easier to find, but according to the phankteks site, the "HP" is the heatsink model, while the "TS" is the casefan model. More help here would be appreciated
* Thermalright ty-140mm (comes with the True spirit)
* Noctua NF-a15
The macho wider spacing imo benefits on lower rpms as its easier for air to pass through, that said i think the stock fan is very good, it can be drop to 600 rpm or ramp up to 1200rpms,

I would try the stock first and if you willing to take more noise, get a Thermalright TY-143 High speed 2500 RPM 2 ball bearing fan, its the same frame so should mount fine, but above 1k starts to get loud, but will allow you better temps if you put off with the extra noise.
Mrc112 wrote:Also, if I missed some very good heatsinks or fans: please tell me :)
Thermalright Silver Arrow SBE, both the normal and extreme, imo these are the best aircoolers in the market, marginally better than other twin tower coolers, on the none extreme you get a TY141 (same as TY147 that comes with the Macho) and TY150 that its a very big fan but its range is 500-1100rpm on pwm. And the extreme comes with twin TY143 (500-2500rpms) this should net the best temps of all but depending on your noise tolerance.... but the good is that has a very wide range of operation so it can go quiet if you drop the rpms, i just dont like the red/orange too much, but hell im on noctuas so i shouldn't say much on colors. The only issue i do see is the height, im not sure the FT02 can fit it.

Now my advise is if you want to overclock on haswell, go water, the 4770k gets hot really fast in my experience, without overclock you can build an extremely quiet setup as i did with Fractal design Define R4 + HR02 + TY150 + Noctua NF-A14 PWM, all setup with bios based fan control on temps, i have my nocutas idling at 225rpms and ramp up as temps goes up till 650rpm, and the TY150 i leave free to roam around, so its 525rpm to 1100rpms, but most of the time is below 600rpms. With my setup under prime95 is hard, and im not introducing voltage, if i were to need to oveclock it i would probably move to watercooling with a custom loop with very low fpi rads and Scythe Gentle typhoons.

As final advice, specially for the FT02 would be to go an Asus motherboard with FanXpert2 will allow very easy setup of the fans, and drop them down very low on very little effort by you, specially on Silverstone AP181, it will drop them to 450rpm where they are virtually inaudible, but still move decent amount of air considering their size. My suggestion is a Asus Maximus VI Hero or if you have a bigger budget the Asus Maximus IV Formula. Here is the fanXpert2 on my GENE of the AP181 that comes with TJ08-E, same case fans as the FT02,

If and this is a big IF, the FT02 AP181 are not enough for your overclock, and you are willing to put off with more noise, you can upgrade the case fans to Silverstone AP182, same fans that come with FT04, that should very similar at low rpm but can go to 2000rpm, i couldn't stand the AP181 above 700rpm but im just mentioning it as an option if you later on want to overclock and you need more cooling and willing to take insane amount of noise.