It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Quiet gaming setup
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Scandinavia
Let me just reiterate this: It is now indisputably clear that Asrock motherboards for Haswell chips are superior to all the other candidates from the acoustical viewpoint. All the same, I am really disappointed by the revelation (at least to me) that fan control functionality in Asus BIOS is rather mediocre in stark contrast to their lofty price range.

I'm truly glad to have converted all of you to the denomination of Asrock.

_________________
Main: TJ08-E|NF-S12A; Asrock B85M Pro4; i5-4430|NH-U12S; 16G@1600; MSI GTX660OC|Alpenföhn Peter|2x NF-S12A; Intel 330 180G|335 240G; Corsair RM650; Dell U2713HM; BlasterAXX SBX10; Blu-ray SH-B123L, Family: PC-TU100A|NF-S12A; Asrock H81M-ITX; i3-4130|Big Shuriken 2B; SilverStone ST30SF, HTPC: PC-Q11A|NF-A14; Asrock B75M-DGS; i3-2100; Zotac GT640 Fanless; Seasonic SS-400FL2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quiet gaming setup
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1751
Location: Guatemala
ggumdol wrote:
SilverStone TJ08-E + Noctua NF-S12A PWM, Asrock B85M Pro4, i5-4430 + Noctua NH-U12S, 2x Kingston 8GB 1600MHz, MSI GTX 660 OC + Alpenföhn Peter + 2x Noctua NF-S12A PWM + Gelid PWM Adaptor for VGA Cooler Fans, Intel 330 SSD 180GB, Western Digital WD10EZRX + Scythe Himuro, Seasonic X-400 Platinum Fanless, Logitech K810, Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX, Creative Sound BlasterAxx SBX 10
Btw wondering on your signature, since you own a TJ08-E, have you tried controlling the AP181? if so whats the lowest %/rpms you were able to take it on pure bios?

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quiet gaming setup
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Scandinavia
Abula wrote:
Btw wondering on your signature, since you own a TJ08-E, have you tried controlling the AP181? if so whats the lowest %/rpms you were able to take it on pure bios?


As you might know, although AP181 is supposed to be voltage-controlled to some extent, it is merely a middling fan and not designed to be *finely* controlled by voltage. I was able to lower the fan speed of AP181 down to 100 or 150 rpm, below which Asrock motherboard failed in reporting correct rpm figures. I can't remember at which % of duty cycle (which is voltage in this case) the rpm was achieved.

_________________
Main: TJ08-E|NF-S12A; Asrock B85M Pro4; i5-4430|NH-U12S; 16G@1600; MSI GTX660OC|Alpenföhn Peter|2x NF-S12A; Intel 330 180G|335 240G; Corsair RM650; Dell U2713HM; BlasterAXX SBX10; Blu-ray SH-B123L, Family: PC-TU100A|NF-S12A; Asrock H81M-ITX; i3-4130|Big Shuriken 2B; SilverStone ST30SF, HTPC: PC-Q11A|NF-A14; Asrock B75M-DGS; i3-2100; Zotac GT640 Fanless; Seasonic SS-400FL2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quiet gaming setup
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:47 am
Posts: 12
After assembling everything there are two issues that are troubling me:
i) the Seasononic P-520 suffers from electronic whining. I find this very disappointing from what is broadly recognized as a high quality component from a top notch manufacturer. The review on SPCR actually mentioned this, but I thought Seasonic had fixed this. Fortunately the noise does die down a bit as I move away from the PSU, however I can still hear it slightly over the noise of the FANs while sitting at my desk (my ears being about 1 meter away from the PSU in this position). When I keep my ear next to the PSU, the noise is much more audible (seems considerably louder than the -10 dBA mentioned in the review). Considering I'm not part of the 1% mentioned in SPCR review, is there anything I can do about this? Is there a chance that the electronic whining goes away after the capacitors have seen some more usage? Or should i RMA my PSU asap?
ii) Not being able to control the two 120mm CPU fans on the Scythe Mugen 4. Both fans are 3-pin FANs that are connected to CPU fan outlets on the motherboard (1 4 pin and 1 3 pin). I would expect the FAN controller on the motherboard to do PWM on the 12V line or even scale down the voltage on the 12V line in order to be able to control the fan speed. However, nada. I guess my best bet would be to get a pair of quiet 120mm PWM-controlled aftermarket FANS and daisy-chain those of the CPU FAN 4-pin connector? At 20 euro a piece that's an other 40 euro.

The PC is definitely the quietest I've ever owned and is a huge improvement over my previous gaming notebook. However it is not inaudible at the moment. I want to see if I can reduce the noise footprint even further. Apart from the PSUs, the main culprits seem to be the CPU fans and the VGA cooler (30% is the minimum fan speed that I can set using Afterburner). Does anyone know of a method to reduce the fan speed of the VGA cooler below 30%? Any custom vBios around that allows this?
edit: I am impressed by the ability to control the Noctua NF-A14 PWM, controllable speed range is 126 RPM (10%) up to 1391 (100%).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quiet gaming setup
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2770
Location: ITALY
logion wrote:
Or should i RMA my PSU asap?


IMHO it's your last chance.


logion wrote:
my best bet would be to get a pair of quiet 120mm PWM-controlled aftermarket FANS and daisy-chain those of the CPU FAN 4-pin connector? At 20 euro a piece that's an other 40 euro.


You have been warned at least twice, so blame on you. Anyway, Scythe's PWM fans should cost much lower than 20 euros a piece: obviously, if you want to stay with Noctua, their marketing efforts require you a premium.


logion wrote:
Any custom vBios around that allows this?


Currently YMMV: use a BIOS editor (KGB, Kepler Bios Tweaker...) in order to see whether or not you could actually lower that fan speed.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quiet gaming setup
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1751
Location: Guatemala
logion wrote:
After assembling everything there are two issues that are troubling me:
i) the Seasononic P-520 suffers from electronic whining. I find this very disappointing from what is broadly recognized as a high quality component from a top notch manufacturer. The review on SPCR actually mentioned this, but I thought Seasonic had fixed this. Fortunately the noise does die down a bit as I move away from the PSU, however I can still hear it slightly over the noise of the FANs while sitting at my desk (my ears being about 1 meter away from the PSU in this position). When I keep my ear next to the PSU, the noise is much more audible (seems considerably louder than the -10 dBA mentioned in the review). Considering I'm not part of the 1% mentioned in SPCR review, is there anything I can do about this? Is there a chance that the electronic whining goes away after the capacitors have seen some more usage? Or should i RMA my PSU asap?
Sorry to hear you got the coil noise, i own 2 Seasonics X400 and X660 and both been perfect for me. Check the Seasonic 520W Platinum Fanless: Sample No. 3

Quote:
As mentioned in the review, Seasonic reports that adjustments in the BIOS of some recent motherboards eliminates electronic noise completely with many earlier production samples. The settings are:

>BIOS set up to ENABLE ErP/EuP (S4~S5)
>BIOS set up to DISABLE Audio Always On


logion wrote:
ii) Not being able to control the two 120mm CPU fans on the Scythe Mugen 4. Both fans are 3-pin FANs that are connected to CPU fan outlets on the motherboard (1 4 pin and 1 3 pin). I would expect the FAN controller on the motherboard to do PWM on the 12V line or even scale down the voltage on the 12V line in order to be able to control the fan speed. However, nada. I guess my best bet would be to get a pair of quiet 120mm PWM-controlled aftermarket FANS and daisy-chain those of the CPU FAN 4-pin connector? At 20 euro a piece that's an other 40 euro.
I thought you were going with the single PWM version =(, the single Glidestream 120 PWM is pretty good, its the version that was reviewed by SPCR and got the editiors choice. Scythe Glidestream imo is the best bet in terms of price, there are two versions, check the rpm range (i would go with the lowest). But if you are going with more noctuas, consider NF-P12 PWM and NF-F12 PWM both should work fine on heatsinks, check Noctua NH-U12S Slim Tower Heatsink as they reviewed the fan there, the NF-S12A PWM is more for case fans and might have trouble with heatsinks, but its up to you.

logion wrote:
The PC is definitely the quietest I've ever owned and is a huge improvement over my previous gaming notebook. However it is not inaudible at the moment. I want to see if I can reduce the noise footprint even further. Apart from the PSUs, the main culprits seem to be the CPU fans and the VGA cooler (30% is the minimum fan speed that I can set using Afterburner). Does anyone know of a method to reduce the fan speed of the VGA cooler below 30%? Any custom vBios around that allows this?
edit: I am impressed by the ability to control the Noctua NF-A14 PWM, controllable speed range is 126 RPM (10%) up to 1391 (100%).
You can flash the vbios with lower settings, but the main question is weather the fans on the GPU will allow to run lower than 30%, there are a lot of PWM fans that they have like deadzone where lower than that PWM % it will remain the same, this can be seen in a lot of noiseblockers and thermalright fans (noctuas are different), the questions is if the GPU fans can or not go into lower PWM %.

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group