Pondering building all-in-one workstation+server

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DanaG

Pondering building all-in-one workstation+server

Post by DanaG » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm ready to upgrade my hardware, but I'm not certain which route I want to take.

My current systems are an HP EliteBook 8530w (fan always running due to damaged heatpipe) and an HP Microserver N40L (running from PicoPSU, with rear fan reversed and filtered).

Possible plans I'm considering:
  • Replace laptop with another laptop: most likely $2000+ for the specs I'd want (HP ZBook 17, due to awesome touchpad and screen).
  • Replace laptop with a desktop, now that I've found a decent desktop touchpad (Logitech T650).
  • Replace both the laptop and the Microserver with an all-in-one workstation+server, using VT-d for GPU passthrough.
Assuming I go with an all-in-one workstation+server, I'll probably want the following:
CPU: Xeon E3-1245v3
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Chip-Proces ... B00D697QGI
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SAE
http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-Mother ... B00D656NSY
* This is the only ATX board I could find with all three of VT-d, ECC Memory, and Intel vPro.
* ECC and VT-d are important; I can give up vPro and go with a quieter board if it has a real serial port.
* I'd use the Intel iGPU for the Linux host OS, which I'll use as a desktop as well.

In terms of performance specs, I'd love to have something with a high-end single GPU. With VT-d, ATI is massively preferred. I don't need Quadro or FirePro features.

I'm not sure exactly how to describe what my questions are -- I guess I'm overall looking for advice from people with experience in choosing good desktop and server components.

Pappnaas

Re: Pondering building all-in-one workstation+server

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:23 pm

That seems to be a difficult question, because it basically depends on what you want to do:

-keep a two fold system, no single point of failure + if using a laptop more flexibility/portability
-running all-in-one could sum up to more energy consumed compared to laptop + Microserver, but has more powerful and easily upgradable components.

If it was my choice, i'd never go back to using a stationary system and go with the portable solution. Only reason to go desktop again could be a nice game that would not be playable on the laptop. But for the time being i personally prefer a laptop.

DanaG

Re: Pondering building all-in-one workstation+server

Post by DanaG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Hmm, given the following wishlist, what kind of wattage would you expect this system to use at idle?
http://amzn.com/w/349XDEBD0LYNJ

I seem to recall my current microserver idling at around 40 watts, so as long as this won't be excessively much higher, it seems like a sane change.

I'd also be adding a discrete video card later -- likely a higher-end AMD card.