Antec Solo ii and cpu heatsink choice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davemuk

Antec Solo ii and cpu heatsink choice

Post by davemuk » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:01 pm

About to purchase the mb & cpu cooler for my new build but trying the find the best combo which allows dimm slots (2 & 4) on an MSI Z87 G45 to be used along with the height restriction of a Solo II case is not easy.

I had been leaning towards the Mugen 4 but the fan sits over the first two dimm slots apparently, my next choice would be the NH-U14S but the 165mm height is close the edge (litterally) for max height of what I think the Solo II can take.

I've tried to find posts of a Solo II and NH-U14S but nothing has sprung up which makes me think the combo won't work.

Anyone know for sure whether it's suitable or other top performing heatsinks that meet my requirements ?

Dave

lodestar

Re: Antec Solo ii and cpu heatsink choice

Post by lodestar » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:11 pm

You could consider the Scythe Ashura which offers a similar slimmer profile as the Noctua U12S/U14S so as to avoid ram slot conflicts. It is also only 161mm high (although it might be necessary to position the fan lower if space is tight). The issue may be finding one in stock in the USA, although FrozenCPU seem to have it but the current images on their web page do not match the product (they are for the Katana). There is a SPCR review of this cooler.

CA_Steve

Re: Antec Solo ii and cpu heatsink choice

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Isn't the Solo II cooler clearance 174mm? That should make it pretty easy to find a cooler based on height and leaves 9mm to spare for the NH-U14S.

Mugen 4: While it covers the RAM slots it doesn't precluse the use of those slots if you use lower profile memory.