It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm
Posts: 9
Hello, I was hoping to get some ideas and if anyone has any info on a potential build I wanted to try.

One problem is I am not sure where to post. :) I have questions on the mobo, cpu and cpu cooler.

So, can I do it here or should I post regarding the respective components in those sections?

I'll just summarize and if I need to elaborate, I can post in the other section?

I want a quiet system so I was thinking of these components:
Silverstone SG05BB-LITE w SFX 450W modular psu
i5-4690S (might go 4590S since it's cheaper)
Z97 mobo - can't decide yet on the Asus or ASRock (Z97i-PLUS or ASRock Z97e-itx/ac)
8gb or 16gb of Crucial VLP DDR3 RAM (1 or 2 sticks - haven't decided yet - price is the reason)
Samsung Evo 250GB

I've had some discussions (not here, yet) regarding the cpu and I'm getting recommendations and suggestions to get a -K cpu and that I can overclock or undervolt.

I thought this site is good since silence is a priority and maybe low heat/low power components is often chosen over pure speed and power?

I want a system that is powerful but is quiet and I don't necessarily need to overclock. I might do some gaming but it's for all-purpose. I might do some video stuff but I think what I listed is sufficient for my needs. But, is it a hassle to undervolt the cpu? I thought if I got the above cpu, I don't have to worry about that stuff.

The other dilemma is how to cool this stuff. I am looking at AIO coolers but what are the pumps like? I have read mixed reviews. Some say they are quiet whereas others say the pump noise might be a problem. I am not sure which one to get but the Corsair H60 or H75 is often used/bought for these types of cases. I prefer them over the air coolers anyway. I don't want a huge tower air cooler and the mini-itx cases usually can't use one either. The low profile air coolers are an option and if I don't overclock, I am probably okay with one. But, maybe the AIO will cooler better? Is either one more noisy than the other? I guess there's the rad pump and the fan but the air cooler will also have a fan so the fans cancel out?

Hopefully, someone who uses both low profile coolers and AIO can comment. :)

Any thoughts on this build? I have an old mid tower system, too. I don't like the buzzing sound that emits from it but it has 5* 120mm fans running (the gpu fan would make it 6). The mini-itx case will have, at most, two (or 3, if you count the gpu). I was thinking of selling the components to put towards the new build but not sure yet. It's LGA775 HW so it's not worth a lot.

Comments?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:52 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4552
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
Welcome to SPCR.

It's best to keep it all in one thread. Could you list your applications? That will help for making informed decisions on the components.

Liquid cooling is seldom quieter than air cooling. Really not worth it unless you are overvolting a CPU.

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm
Posts: 9
Thank you!

I was planning on just a multi-purpose system. I mostly use internet although I intend to do a bit of programming eventually. Applications are many and varied - photo and video editing, 2d/3d include Gimp/'Photoshop' type, Blender, virtualization software. I use video software, also, including streaming and video players. I bought a Nvidia gtx 750 for my current build which will probably be moved into any new build. I might play the odd game or source games. I have gamer friends who often encourage me to get some. :)

I also plan a dual-booting system of Windows and Linux. So, I was contemplating using two SSDs and my 3.5 HDDs will be used as external drives in enclosures. Is there any thoughts on that? Is it better to have an enclosure with a fan? I have a 7200rpm Seagate HDD that I'll use in whatever enclosure I buy. I think it's one of the 'good' drives, though, from reviews I read previously. I also have two other 3.5" HDDs in enclosures but they are using eSATA or USB 2.0.

It's interesting you state that air coolers are more quiet than AIO. Any chance that SPCRers will give approval to the Noctua NH-L9i? ::) That's one of a few that fit in tight spaces of small itx cases. Any other recommendations and ideas are appreciated. Thanks again, for your reply!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2898
Location: ITALY
silentmitx wrote:
Silverstone SG05BB-LITE w SFX 450W modular psu


How much would it cost?


silentmitx wrote:
i5-4690S (might go 4590S since it's cheaper)


A regular SKU (not S, not T) is preferable, your system won't be any quieter with the low power counterparts.


silentmitx wrote:
8gb or 16gb of Crucial VLP DDR3 RAM (1 or 2 sticks - haven't decided yet - price is the reason)


A dual channell is strongly advisable.


silentmitx wrote:
I prefer them over the air coolers anyway.


No AIO can be as quiet as the quietest air coolers.


silentmitx wrote:
The mini-itx case will have, at most, two (or 3, if you count the gpu).


Which GPU? You haven't mentioned it in the parts list.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 pm
Posts: 1193
Location: UK
silentmitx wrote:
Silverstone SG05BB-LITE w SFX 450W modular psu

There's always different options here depending upon aesthetics and ideas on build quality. I've found Silverstone cases to be a little flimsy and hence prone to vibration. They require work to get silent. A current favourite (if you can find one) is the NCASE M1. I notice you haven't got an optical drive listed. Consider also the Fractal Design Node cases.
silentmitx wrote:
i5-4690S (might go 4590S since it's cheaper)

S models are just liek the standard models but with lower clocks and voltage to get the lower power consumption. You can achieve the same with a lower specced non-S model and save money.
silentmitx wrote:
Z97 mobo - can't decide yet on the Asus or ASRock (Z97i-PLUS or ASRock Z97e-itx/ac)

Don't rule out non-Z motherboards. Look at the features you'll actually need. The H97 and Z97 have the same bus speeds, PCI-E lanes, USB and SATA. For typical use, Z motherboards are just a waste of money. Differences in overclocking will be close to zero in most cases and a far larger performance gain could be had by spending the money on faster RAM, CPU or graphics card in the first place. H series motherboards are also in some cases better for silencing due to being more aimed at media use. They also tend to be lower power consumption.

Any ideas on graphics yet?

silentmitx wrote:
I'm getting recommendations and suggestions to get a -K cpu and that I can overclock or undervolt.

K CPUs are unlocked and will overclock far higher, however you can't get those kind of overclocks when you're also undervolting. Normal CPUs are clock multiplier locked but will still allow for some overclocking and will fully allow undervolting. I find it unlikely that a K CPU will get a better overclocked, undervolted balance than a non-K CPU - they'll come out much the same plus you can save the money and spend it on something else.

silentmitx wrote:
I want a system that is powerful but is quiet and I don't necessarily need to overclock.

Then you don't need the K CPU.
silentmitx wrote:
is it a hassle to undervolt the cpu? I thought if I got the above cpu, I don't have to worry about that stuff.

The CPU doesn't really make a difference to how easy it is to undervolt. Undervolting is all done in the BIOS and the level of flexibility varies between models - a more expensive motherboard does not necessarily mean a better undervolter! Look up the range of undervolting achieved with different CPUs, then check in the manuals of different motherboards what range they allow and in what increment. Some motherboards will allow you to go 0.1V down and that's it, others will allow you to run tiny voltages in tiny increments giving you a lot of room for experimentation. Does this make it easy? No, if a motherboard offers underclocking, it inherently means it will be time consuming to test at different voltages until you find something stable. A K CPU will make no difference to this at all.

...and I agree with Steve, stick to air cooling.

_________________
Silverstone SG03B: E8200, Asus P5E-VM HDMI, 2Gb RAM, Leadtek 9600GT+S1 rev. 2, Samsung 500Gb, Seasonic X-400, 2x Akasa 120mm, Scythe Zipang 2 fanless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm
Posts: 9
Reply to quest for silence:
"Silverstone SG05BB-LITE w SFX 450W modular psu → How much would it cost?"
Around $120 total (for the PSU) if I buy separate, flat modular cables. The case is approx. $38 + tax.

'A regular SKU (not S, not T) is preferable, your system won't be any quieter with the low power counterparts'
I thought of choosing an 'S' chip for lower power. Also, some lower profile coolers are more reliable with 65w chips, I think. At least, Noctua recommends using 65W chips with the cooler I suggested (TDP info). I thought since I might not overclock, to get a good 'S' chip and then it doesn't matter which cooler I go with?

"A dual channell is strongly advisable."
Okay. I wanted dual channel but low profile RAM pairs are expensive.

"No AIO can be as quiet as the quietest air coolers."
Not sure which the 'quietest' ones are. Some itx cases require low profile ones so the choices are restricted. I don't want a big high tower cooler, though, regardless of degree of noise.

"Which GPU?"
EVGA GTX 750.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm
Posts: 9
edh wrote:
There's always different options here depending upon aesthetics and ideas on build quality. I've found Silverstone cases to be a little flimsy and hence prone to vibration. They require work to get silent. A current favourite (if you can find one) is the NCASE M1. I notice you haven't got an optical drive listed. Consider also the Fractal Design Node cases.

I really like the M1 but would have to wait until the revision is released. The original M1 was about $200, though. I looked at the Node 304 previously but I was thinking it's rather big. I would like the case to be a bit portable although it's a nice case. Probably easier to work in/with than, say, the SG05. I like the SG05 because it's really easy to move around and doesn't take much space on a desk. The M1 is bigger but not by much. I've seen pics of it beside other cases and it's a nice compromise in size. Albeit, the price is considerably higher.

edh wrote:
S models are just like the standard models but with lower clocks and voltage to get the lower power consumption. You can achieve the same with a lower specced non-S model and save money.
Don't rule out non-Z motherboards. Look at the features you'll actually need. The H97 and Z97 have the same bus speeds, PCI-E lanes, USB and SATA. For typical use, Z motherboards are just a waste of money. Differences in overclocking will be close to zero in most cases and a far larger performance gain could be had by spending the money on faster RAM, CPU or graphics card in the first place. H series motherboards are also in some cases better for silencing due to being more aimed at media use. They also tend to be lower power consumption.

For me, the non-K and S of the same model is the same price for some reason. I was looking at some H97 boards but there's a pretty crappy selection for mini-itx motherboards, imho. I kinda want wifi and the Z97 motherboards have that. I guess I could get a usb wifi adapter but the integrated wifi with Z97 boards allow me to choose Intel chips.

edh wrote:
Any ideas on graphics yet?

I found a used EVGA GTX 750 so I bought that already. :)

edh wrote:
K CPUs are unlocked and will overclock far higher, however you can't get those kind of overclocks when you're also undervolting. Normal CPUs are clock multiplier locked but will still allow for some overclocking and will fully allow undervolting. I find it unlikely that a K CPU will get a better overclocked, undervolted balance than a non-K CPU - they'll come out much the same plus you can save the money and spend it on something else.

The CPU doesn't really make a difference to how easy it is to undervolt. Undervolting is all done in the BIOS and the level of flexibility varies between models - a more expensive motherboard does not necessarily mean a better undervolter! Look up the range of undervolting achieved with different CPUs, then check in the manuals of different motherboards what range they allow and in what increment. Some motherboards will allow you to go 0.1V down and that's it, others will allow you to run tiny voltages in tiny increments giving you a lot of room for experimentation. Does this make it easy? No, if a motherboard offers underclocking, it inherently means it will be time consuming to test at different voltages until you find something stable. A K CPU will make no difference to this at all.

...and I agree with Steve, stick to air cooling.

Good points on the undervolting. I just wanted the option but was wondering how much hassle it is. Yes, I imagined it would involve a lot of tweaking and I thought no individual chip is the same as another. Some might have more headroom. I didn't know that air coolers would be that much quieter. But, unless I go to a larger itx case, I am probably looking at low profile coolers and I don't think they do a great job compared to AIO. I thought an 'S' chip would mean the processor won't need as powerful a cooler. But, I'm just speculatinng, of course. That's why I'm asking for feedback and ideas. :)

Unless I'm using Noctua fans, eventually, I'll be looking at what fans have good static pressure but are quiet, too. With some itx cases, I might only need one fan. I guess it depends on what cooler and case is chosen.

The sfx psu is good since it is only 100mm deep. Also, Silverstone is coming out with a 600W version that should have the flat cables already. So, I'm mostly undecided on case and cpu. Also, which RAM (1 or 2 sticks) and psu to get although I did narrow down my choices. The M1 case would be ideal but it's $200 and the processors i5-4590/S are $210 and $235 for the i5-4690/S.

For two sticks of RAM, the Crucial VLP Sport is around $187 last time I checked. Around $90 or so for one stick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1824
Location: Guatemala
silentmitx wrote:
"A dual channell is strongly advisable."
Okay. I wanted dual channel but low profile RAM pairs are expensive.
Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0, this is what i have used on 3 different builds, been perfect, its low profile (really, not the Corsair standard height marketed for low profile), and its also low voltage 1.35V, so shouldnt need any direct cooling at all. But recommended you check with the QV list to see if the memory will be compatible with the motherboard you end up buying, but in all 3 builds i did it was not on the list, still ran fine.

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm
Posts: 9
Abula wrote:
silentmitx wrote:
"A dual channell is strongly advisable."
Okay. I wanted dual channel but low profile RAM pairs are expensive.
Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0, this is what i have used on 3 different builds, been perfect, its low profile (really, not the Corsair standard height marketed for low profile), and its also low voltage 1.35V, so shouldnt need any direct cooling at all. But recommended you check with the QV list to see if the memory will be compatible with the motherboard you end up buying, but in all 3 builds i did it was not on the list, still ran fine.

Yeah, that model is the one. Except, I was thinking of going with 1 8gb stick or the dual channel 16gb pair. The reason is I might use virtualization but also, I thought the max. the mini-itx boards can have is 16gb. When DDR4 is here, I am afraid that DDR3 might be really expensive (increase in $$) much like what happened with DDR2. Although, there will be used DDR3 around, I am not sure if it will be easy to find that exact LP. But, I suppose dual channel is often recommended and adding another 8gb stick later, that is a bit risky? Even if it's the same exact model?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1824
Location: Guatemala
silentmitx wrote:
Abula wrote:
silentmitx wrote:
"A dual channell is strongly advisable."
Okay. I wanted dual channel but low profile RAM pairs are expensive.
Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0, this is what i have used on 3 different builds, been perfect, its low profile (really, not the Corsair standard height marketed for low profile), and its also low voltage 1.35V, so shouldnt need any direct cooling at all. But recommended you check with the QV list to see if the memory will be compatible with the motherboard you end up buying, but in all 3 builds i did it was not on the list, still ran fine.

Yeah, that model is the one. Except, I was thinking of going with 1 8gb stick or the dual channel 16gb pair. The reason is I might use virtualization but also, I thought the max. the mini-itx boards can have is 16gb. When DDR4 is here, I am afraid that DDR3 might be really expensive (increase in $$) much like what happened with DDR2. Although, there will be used DDR3 around, I am not sure if it will be easy to find that exact LP. But, I suppose dual channel is often recommended and adding another 8gb stick later, that is a bit risky? Even if it's the same exact model?
We are certanly moving toward DDR4, but we bearly starting, only Haswell E will support it, thinking that Broadwell its a lower arch of Haswell (none E), i think it might still use DDR3, my guess is we will dropping DDR3 around Skylake, probably two or maybe more with how intel is milking us. But certainly if you dont plan to change your setup in a long time, i would go with 16GB.

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2898
Location: ITALY
silentmitx wrote:
Reply to quest for silence:
"Silverstone SG05BB-LITE w SFX 450W modular psu → How much would it cost?"
Around $120 total (for the PSU) if I buy separate, flat modular cables. The case is approx. $38 + tax.


Perhaps the EVGA Hadron Air, with its bundled Seasonic 80Plus Gold semi-fanless PSU, might be a valuable option.
On the other hand, among the SFX units, the Silverstone 300W may be probably a more conscious option over the quoted 450W one.


silentmitx wrote:
I thought of choosing an 'S' chip for lower power. Also, some lower profile coolers are more reliable with 65w chips, I think. At least, Noctua recommends using 65W chips with the cooler I suggested (TDP info). I thought since I might not overclock, to get a good 'S' chip and then it doesn't matter which cooler I go with?


As said even by others coforumers, you can have comparable heating and power consumption whether you set the CPU ratio at the same value (and it's always possible, an S chip is not noticeably cooler/easier to cool down than a regular part at the very same speed), and possibly undervolting an equivalent regular Core i5 (as already said, it depends of the specific motherboard).
Definitely IMO there's no need for such a factory slightly crippled CPU, as the relevant thermal advantage are modest or even close to negligible noise-wise, but it's your call.


silentmitx wrote:
"A dual channell is strongly advisable."
Okay. I wanted dual channel but low profile RAM pairs are expensive.


I can't help: here in Europe either a single 8Gb Crucial stick, or dual 4Gb sticks cost about the same, and VLP pricing is slightly higher than either Sport or Tactical (regular size).


silentmitx wrote:
"No AIO can be as quiet as the quietest air coolers."
Not sure which the 'quietest' ones are.


More probably that not the Silverstone Tundra-series are representative of how quiet can be current best (noise-wise) AIO coolers: you may check the relevant SPCR review for a comparison with air-coolers.


silentmitx wrote:
Some itx cases require low profile ones so the choices are restricted. I don't want a big high tower cooler, though, regardless of degree of noise.


So, whether "silence is a priority", if you want real quietness with such hardware pieces, you can't skip big heatsink: it's just physics.
Otherwise you've to relax this priority to pursue small dimensions along with performance (it's basically the trade off behind the Ncase M1 design), and take also note that when you undervolt an AIO (both pump and fans) in order to take it as quiet as it can be, then the relevant performance worsen a lot.


silentmitx wrote:
"Which GPU?"
EVGA GTX 750.


Is it quiet? I never found a quiet EVGA.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm
Posts: 9
"As said even by others coforumers, you can have comparable heating and power consumption whether you set the CPU ratio at the same value (and it's always possible, an S chip is not noticeably cooler/easier to cool down than a regular part at the very same speed), and possibly undervolting an equivalent regular Core i5 (as already said, it depends of the specific motherboard).
Definitely IMO there's no need for such a factory slightly crippled CPU, as the relevant thermal advantage are modest or even close to negligible noise-wise, but it's your call."

CPU ratio?

If you look at some reviews, some of the AIOs don't do too bad. Cooling is adquate and for some, noise level doesn't seem exceptionally bad? Check this one out?:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... cleID=2730
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... 730&page=3
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... 730&page=4

The H60 doesn't do too badly? I was comparing to the LP noctual heat sink. Is your preferred/fav. heat sinks in that list by chance? How do they compare?

I don't know much about all those brands/models but I prefer a small form factor system. I've used big towers, mostly mid-towers but I want one smaller now.


My EVGA card is pretty quiet. Maybe above the gtx 750 series, they are noisy but it only has the one fan and power consumption isn't much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:43 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Posts: 1825
Location: Northern California.
imo the crippling of s parts is not as big as a factor as some seem to say. its all about the cost per core and clock speed. i found an s part that was on sale cheaper than the regular part. i have no regrets on my purchase at all. ymmv

_________________
“USA is not America, America is a continent!”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2898
Location: ITALY
silentmitx wrote:
CPU ratio?


The CPU multiplier: an "S" part has a lower max CPU ratio (set Turbo bins aside).


silentmitx wrote:
If you look at some reviews, some of the AIOs don't do too bad. Cooling is adquate and for some, noise level doesn't seem exceptionally bad? Check this one out?:


I don't understand what I have to look at, Frostytech isn't a reliable source with reference to noise levels, their noisefloor is too high and their methodology is unclear, so those numbers are mostly of little or no usefulness.


silentmitx wrote:
The H60 doesn't do too badly? I was comparing to the LP noctual heat sink. Is your preferred/fav. heat sinks in that list by chance? How do they compare?


I prefer big chunks of metal with fan spinning at most around 600rpm: up to now that's the most effective way to cool at the lowest noise levels (even if it's not neither the most effective way, nor the most efficient way to cool a CPU).

Broadly speaking, any moving part emits noise according to the way you drive it: so any AIO can sound either unbearably loud or much more comfortably.

Said that, the radiators are high impendance structures, so the airflow need to be high in order to be effective. When the flow is tiny, so when the fan spins low, the cooling prowess drops, and the higher the impendance is, the more it drops. Even the relevant noise signature is less favourable, because the "quality" of the noise of the air spilled through an high impendance structure is worse, making the noise more "noticeable" at human ears. Simplifying those are the main reason an AIO can't be really quiet and effective at the same moment: it worths to mention that with very efficient CPUs (like Haswell) often even at moderately loud noise levels lots of AIOs can't really shine over their air-counterparts (as seen in some reviews of low end ones, as Corsair H60 or H75). If you look at the performance of a 100$ Cooler Master Seidon 240M (pump at 7V), it shows a 54°C rise over ambient with a noise level of 15dB, a premium low profile but low performance cooler as the 45$ Noctua NH-L9i at the same noise level shows a 61°C rise over ambient, while a tower heatsink like the 35$ Scythe Kotetsu shows a thermal rise of just 38-39°C.


silentmitx wrote:
I don't know much about all those brands/models but I prefer a small form factor system. I've used big towers, mostly mid-towers but I want one smaller now.


So, if you already know what you want, what are you looking for, from us? By the way, not all the SFF enclosure need a low profile cooler.


silentmitx wrote:
My EVGA card is pretty quiet. Maybe above the gtx 750 series, they are noisy but it only has the one fan and power consumption isn't much.


If you perceive your EVGA as quiet, more probably that not you don't need any advice on how quiet any cooler can be: you probably won't perceive them as not quiet, and any Silverstone TD03, Corsair H75 or H60, Enermax Liqmax (or similar products) should work well for you, despite they are the quietest option or not. At least it's my opinion, right now.


xan_user wrote:
imo the crippling of s parts is not as big as a factor as some seem to say. its all about the cost per core and clock speed. i found an s part that was on sale cheaper than the regular part. i have no regrets on my purchase at all. ymmv


I was not talking of any price/performance ratio, but just of cooling/performance one: an S-part isn't noticeably cooler than a regular SKU, so it isn't mandatory to have a low noise system. But either it won't hurt, you just trade off some slight less performance for some less heat, usually without any substantial advantage, cooling wise (that's my point). If you spare some money, it's a welcome bonus.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm
Posts: 9
Any other ideas/suggestions other than the above guy that bashes any suggestion/thought I have?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:00 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4552
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
S vs non-S part: If you don't want to hassle with undervolting (finding a mobo that will allow it and then stress testing), and are worried about thermal issues, then get the S part.

cooler: Take a look at the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B. Replace the thin fan with a 25mm x 120mm reference fan and it'll do well. Double check that it'll fit with whatever mobo you end up with and in the SG05 case. There's an SPCR SG05 review.

PSU: I can't speak to the Silverstone PSU - haven't seen any reviews. Your stressed load power with the GTX 750 is in the range of 175W (65W cpu, 60W GPU, 50W everything else) and my guess is it'll never see more than 140W while gaming.

My std caveat: Wait a couple of months before buying a '97 motherboard to let the inevitable bug fixes settle out.

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mini-itx build
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2898
Location: ITALY
silentmitx wrote:
Any other ideas/suggestions other than the above guy that bashes any suggestion/thought I have?


Hey man, whether your ideas seem somehow at odds with each other, I'll tell you: if you want to stick with them for whatever reason, it's your call.

Broadly speaking the crossing point between "pretty quiet" and "enough quiet" is subtle, but in your case, when coupling a 1400rpm min speed 80mm fan (the ST45SF-G fan) with a 42% min speed fan (the EVGA fan), whatever CPU or heatsink you'll pick up will hardly make any difference: IMO, it won't be an actually silent mITX setup (even if probably it shouldn't neither be that loud).
But again, whether you judge your graphics as pretty quiet, you shouldn't actually need an advice on, mainly as you shouldn't perceive any real/noticeable benefit by using any part with a noise threshold much lower than those of the above quoted components.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group