PC Build Advice Needed (Video Editing)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SummerAus

PC Build Advice Needed (Video Editing)

Post by SummerAus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 am

I've been checking in on SPCR for some time now but have only just joined. I figured this would be the best place to ask advice since I'm aiming for a relatively quiet computer. SPCR's recommendations have already helped with some components.

I've been looking into this for some time, and here is the list I have so far. Where I have more than one item it's because I'm not sure which one to go with.

AMD FX-4300 or AMD A10-7700K (or the A10-7850K, which has only just been listed on the store's website)
CPU heatsink: Noctua NH-U12S or NH-U14S

RAM: Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 1.5V 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB (not sure how much I actually need, and opinions vary); though I've read that APUs can use faster RAM, so I'm looking for this information on the AMD site. I've also read that it's better to use 1.5V RAM instead of 1.65V for heat reasons (although, I just checked CPU-Z and apparently my current RAM is 1.8V).

Video card: Since this is for both business and home use, and I run it at 800x600 on a smaller (non-widescreen) monitor, I'm looking into video cards again at the moment after Gigabyte mentioned the ones I had noted (GV-N650OC-2GI and GV-N66TWF2-2GD) didn't support that resolution (I've tried just putting the font size up, since people always recommend that when someone asks, but this results in a weird font and having to zoom in on some web pages).

PSU: CoolerMaster SilentPro M2 720W

SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
HDD: WD Blue 500GB

Motherboard (AM3): Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), which apparently had some cooling issues with the previous revision, and was at least somewhat fixed in the current one.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 (rev 3.0)
Asus M5A99FX-PRO-R2
Asus Sabretooth-990FX-R2

Case: Gigabyte GZ-X7 or GZ-KX1 for aesthetic reasons. I've also looked at BitFenix cases but I'm not sure about having vents on the bottom of the case.
Case fan(s): Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PL-2 (120mm)
Windows 7 64-bit

I'm mainly looking at cooling, fan noise, and audio. Using an APU would mean less fan noise if I didn't also use a discrete video card, though that would be an option. I'm also looking into Sapphire video cards, since they make silent ones (but the one I noticed on the store's website has mysteriously disappeared, and I can't find it on the Sapphire website). The heatsink fan seems good but I'd also consider changing it (that probably depends on whether I can use a Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PLPS 120mm PWM fan) on the heatsink.

The computer will be used for Office 2007 (Outlook, Word, Excel), video editing (non-professional) and video encoding, some image editing, Windows Media Player, and various other programs used less frequently.

If anyone has ideas on which type of CPU and how much RAM would be needed for video editing, I'd appreciate the advice.

For reference, my current system has a Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT (silent) video card, an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 5600+ processor, and 2GB DDR2 RAM.

Abula

Re: PC Build Advice Needed (Video Editing)

Post by Abula » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:30 pm

For video editing, depending on the software, more cores usually its better, but again depends on the software, so if you like AMD i would try to go with AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition, memory is also dependant on the software will use, amd benefits a little more in performance on faster ram than intel so i would consider a little above 1600, maybe 1866/2133, whatever doesn't increase drastically the budget, go with standard height, avoid high heatsink on the memory or it might affect the choices you have for cpu cooler, on the amout will depend on the software, but 8gb as minium and recommened 16gb, above that cross check that the software will be able to or benefit from more than 16gb of memory.

On the CPU cooler i would try to go with Scythe Mugen 4 $50, was recently reviewed by SPCR Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back and got the editors choice, should be a pretty decent cooler for the FX8300, and cheaper than noctua, if you like noctua, then i would consider the NH-U14S, also reviewed by SPCR Noctua NH-U14S Slim 140mm Tower Cooler, doesn't get as much recommended mostly for the price, but its a superb single fan cooler.

On the PSU, similarly priced, i would also consider the Corsair RM Series 650 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply - CP-9020054-NA RM650, for $110 you get a gold rated PSU, fully modular and very quiet, 650 should be more than enough even going with a high end GPU later on.

For motherboard, whatever has the bells n whistles that you are looking for on the price that fits your budget, i would chose asus over gigabyte but its a personal preference nothing wrong with gigabyte.

Case, i would look for something like Fractal Design deifne R4, Corsair 550/330, Antec Solo II, etc, even more silence oriented, but since you said its more for looks, then go with whatever you like.
If anyone has ideas on which type of CPU and how much RAM would be needed for video editing, I'd appreciate the advice.
I would also consider intel as option, will be slightly more expensive but, depending on the software, might be more capable, the 4770K/4670K come with intel hd4600 that should be sufficient for anything that its not gaming, even mulitple screens, video playsback, even encoding with quicksync, but if you are keen to AMD, go for it, its not a bad choice either.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:41 pm

What program(s) do you use for editing and at what resolution/quality level?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm

I would totally scratch the APU. If you want to use this as your intro to a professional system, then you need to build it right the first time.

A Xeon based machine would very good for you, and does not have to break the bank. In all of my experience, AMD machines have let me down when I've needed most. You don't have to shell out for a horribly expensive system right away, but I would look to use scalable hardware, so you could upgrade for cheaper, while still getting a very sizable increase in power. If you start with a single E5-2xxx series CPU, you can get a second later, and a dual socket motherboard to accommodate that. It's all your call. With the experience of upgrading entire systems, that's something I would look into. The hardware is not the cheapest, but it's worth thinking about long term for a professional system if that's the direction you want to go.

I use the Adobe CS6 suite and the specs of my rig are in my signature. All my content is HD, and I have not been let down by the machine. I upgraded from a Core 2 Quad Q9400, and the performance increase cannot be accurately put into words.

If you're looking to produce broadcast/streaming quality or long productions, then you need to be prepared for the demands of the software you'll be using. Your big choices are Media Composer or Premiere Pro. Final Cut is Mac only, but also it's losing grip in the industry, so it's nothing I would plan a new system around. Just my opinion. Anyone else can have their way of putting it.

SummerAus

Post by SummerAus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:45 am

Abula wrote:For video editing, depending on the software, more cores usually its better, but again depends on the software, so if you like AMD i would try to go with AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition, memory is also dependant on the software will use, amd benefits a little more in performance on faster ram than intel so i would consider a little above 1600, maybe 1866/2133, whatever doesn't increase drastically the budget, go with standard height, avoid high heatsink on the memory or it might affect the choices you have for cpu cooler, on the amout will depend on the software, but 8gb as minium and recommened 16gb, above that cross check that the software will be able to or benefit from more than 16gb of memory.
An 8-core CPU seems a bit much though. As for RAM, I did find some 2000MHz RAM in the same Corsair series, but I'm not sure about this as motherboards don't seem to list it. I was specifically looking for the 'standard' size to avoid compatibility problems (also for price reasons).
if you like noctua, then i would consider the NH-U14S, also reviewed by SPCR Noctua NH-U14S Slim 140mm Tower Cooler, doesn't get as much recommended mostly for the price, but its a superb single fan cooler.
These two Noctua heatsinks are actually ones that I chose based on the reviews at SPRC, along with the PSU. I also discovered Noiseblocker fans here.
On the PSU, similarly priced, i would also consider the Corsair RM Series 650 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply - CP-9020054-NA RM650, for $110 you get a gold rated PSU, fully modular and very quiet, 650 should be more than enough even going with a high end GPU later on.
This looks like a good PSU but one thing I've avoided is a PSU with the fan only starting up under load.
Case, i would look for something like Fractal Design deifne R4, Corsair 550/330, Antec Solo II, etc, even more silence oriented, but since you said its more for looks, then go with whatever you like.
There are a lot of good cases available, though they tend to get too 'fancy' with noise-reduction and airflow. I figured that if the cooling is adequate inside the case, then it shouldn't matter as much on the type of case I use. I've avoided cases with padding on the sides (to help with noise) because this seems detrimental to cooling, and the same with cases with an extra front panel. On the other hand, cases with extra top fans for cooling would seem to make more noise due to the position of the vents. Although, I would consider some of the BitFenix cases with top fans if they didn't also have those bottom fans.
I would also consider intel as option, will be slightly more expensive but, depending on the software, might be more capable, the 4770K/4670K come with intel hd4600 that should be sufficient for anything that its not gaming, even mulitple screens, video playsback, even encoding with quicksync, but if you are keen to AMD, go for it, its not a bad choice either.
It's more brand preference really, because that's what I'm using at the moment, but I'll look into Intel as well.
What program(s) do you use for editing and at what resolution/quality level?
I use VideoPad, which I use for 'hobby' video editing, and also MediaCoder. The output resolution is 1024x576, as this seems to be the one that has worked the best. The input resolution is 1280x720 and 848x480.
bonestonne wrote:I would totally scratch the APU. If you want to use this as your intro to a professional system, then you need to build it right the first time.
It's not professional video editing though, which is why I haven't been looking into the system requirements of the professional suites. I did check out the Intel Xeon series in your signature, however, which is listed on the distributor's website as a 'server series'. I probably wouldn't have researched anything with a price point such as that though, as it's pretty expensive.

On the other hand, I just checked the system requirements for Adobe CS6 and they don't seem that high, though they haven't listed 'recommended' system requirements.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:11 pm

If you look at reviews from website as anandtech.com, Intel cpu's are à lot faster than their and counterparts, as can be seen in this article. http://anandtech.com/show/7677/amd-kave ... 0-7850k/11
If you want performance I would advice an i5 or i7 from intel with enough memory. Especially video encoding is a lot faster with intel, if you look at a decent i7 it is at least twice as fast as amd.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:04 pm

The output resolution is 1024x576, as this seems to be the one that has worked the best. The input resolution is 1280x720 and 848x480.
As you aren't trying to transcode 1080p or higher content, you really don't need a LOT of horsepower. An Intel dual core i3-4xxx is faster than the FX-4300...and Quick Sync would probably blow the pants off the AMD CPU. Here's Anand's Bench comparing the previous gen i3 to the FX 4300. Use the integrated gpu. No need for a graphics card.

You can also go for an i5-4xxx. 4 physical cores will increase the transcode framerate by 60-100% over the i3.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:30 pm

Firstly, while the Xeon series is "server" class hardware, it's used widely in workstation computers. It's a bit of a misconception to say they're only server class.

I do agree with CA Steve. Without knowing what you were using, it's hard to say what's a good idea. Considering you're exporting to lower than 720P, an i3 would pack plenty of power for it. An i5 would be even more. With that extra power though, you'll likely start to experiment with higher settings, where you can run out of power pretty quickly depending on what settings you use.

The Xeons I have were approx $430 each when I purchased them. There are less expensive Xeons, and I find the performance to be better than the Core i* series. If you were starting to look at an i7, I would say for video work, you would be better off looking for an equivalent Xeon instead. The downside is that Xeons don't have integrated graphics. It's a balance, as with anything.

If you're going to continue using the same settings, getting an i3 or i5 will speed up encoding significantly. If you're upgrading the machine as an effort to use higher quality settings, then you're going to need to really weigh your options about what you need, because if you start looking at 720P or pushing it to 1080P output, then getting the new hardware will be able to handle it, but the time it takes to encode may not change if you go for "lower end" hardware.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:47 pm

bonestonne wrote:The downside is that Xeons don't have integrated graphics.
Thats true for the higher end LGA2011, but the lower end LGA1155/1156/1150, there are options for xeons with integrated gpus, all that end with a 5, Intel Xeon E3-1245V3 Haswell 3.4GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80646E31245V3, Processor Graphics Intel® HD Graphics P4600

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:26 am

Yes, my mistake on that part.

The lower end Xeons may even be a good option for the OP looking for more power with integrated graphics, while staying in the same price range as something that would be a little less powerful.

SummerAus

Post by SummerAus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:31 am

sjoukew wrote:If you look at reviews from website as anandtech.com, Intel cpu's are à lot faster than their and counterparts, as can be seen in this article. http://anandtech.com/show/7677/amd-kave ... 0-7850k/11
If you want performance I would advice an i5 or i7 from intel with enough memory. Especially video encoding is a lot faster with intel, if you look at a decent i7 it is at least twice as fast as amd.
Overall, I'm looking more at quality and smoothness (in using VideoPad and other programs), than how fast I can get things done.
CA_Steve wrote:As you aren't trying to transcode 1080p or higher content, you really don't need a LOT of horsepower. An Intel dual core i3-4xxx is faster than the FX-4300...and Quick Sync would probably blow the pants off the AMD CPU. Here's [url=http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/ ... 677Anand's Bench[/url] comparing the previous gen i3 to the FX 4300. Use the integrated gpu. No need for a graphics card.

You can also go for an i5-4xxx. 4 physical cores will increase the transcode framerate by 60-100% over the i3.
I'm currently looking into the Intel i5 series and Quick Sync. Wikipedia does mention that 'speed is prioritised over quality', though.
bonestonne wrote:If you're upgrading the machine as an effort to use higher quality settings, then you're going to need to really weigh your options about what you need, because if you start looking at 720P or pushing it to 1080P output, then getting the new hardware will be able to handle it, but the time it takes to encode may not change if you go for "lower end" hardware.
I'm mainly just looking for components that will handle these (video editing and encoding, among other) functions more smoothly, without going overboard on components that I don't really need.