How ya like the Mugen 4?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

joeythebull

How ya like the Mugen 4?

Post by joeythebull » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:34 am

Hi, I've gotten some great help here recently and am still buying components as they come up on sale for a new gaming build. Besides articles and researching older posts, I've gotten good advice from Abula, Luca, and CA_Steve. I've tried to heed the advice I've already been given with some consideration for price and heat on a gaming system.

At the moment, I still need a PSU and a CPU cooler. Luca suggested Cooler Master Hyper 412S (note the S) might be an option, as well as a Scythe Mugen PCGH Edition, but I'm having trouble finding the specific version of the Mugen and the one version of the slim Cooler Master I found was too expensive ($100).

I'm looking at the Mugen 4 as a possible option for my LGA1150 Xeon E3 1230 V3. I believe this is the same as the Mugen SCMG-4000. In particular I'd like to flag CA_Steve because his signature tag shows he's using one now. SPC reviews speak well enough of the Mugen 2 and I'm hoping the Mugen 4 keeps doing a good job. It's around $50 and I'd prefer not to spend much more than that, but I'm still open to alternatives that would work with LGA 1150.

Any advice is welcome, but right now I'm focused on the CPU cooler.

Here's my build. I've already purchased the following:

CPU: Xeon E3 1230 v3
Mobo: GA B85 HD3
Although I considered the Asus H87 Plus, I really didn't need most of the features of H87 so I saved $30 and am putting my faith in inferior "Gigabyte smart Fan 2" controls.
http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/334/i ... ature.html

Memory: G.Skill 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1600 cas 9 1.5v
Case: Fractal Design R4, no window
SSD: Samsung 840 EV0, 250GB
HDD: WD 1TB Blue
Additional Case Fan: Antec True Quiet 140

I'm going to start with the Antec adding it to the front of the Fractal for some positive pressure. It was cheap and I figure I'll see how it does then upgrade or swap from there.

...and here's what I have left to buy:

Video Card: Sapphire R9 290 tri-x
Bitcoiners still have the prices way up, so I'm going to put the build together with an older graphic card and wait out the storm, maybe make a purchase in a month or so. Heck I might even get something different depending upon pricing and 3rd party innovations.

PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 550W (BN600), Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550 (LZP-550), OR Corsair RM 750W (RM750)
(not purchased yet, but will probably get the first one on sale with an anti-preference for the Corsair)

Director9

Re: How ya like the Mugen 4?

Post by Director9 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:49 am

I'll be getting the Mugen 4 SCMG on a i5-4670

PCGH : 2 non-PWM fans with a low RPM
SCMG : 1 PWM fan

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:37 pm

joeythebull wrote:SPC reviews speak well enough of the Mugen 2 and I'm hoping the Mugen 4 keeps doing a good job.
You can also check the SPCR Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back were they also speak well enough about it.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:59 pm

I like it just fine. I certainly don't hear it over the gfx card. You can see the temps/load conditions in my signature thread.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:11 pm

I only worry it might be overkill considering I have a locked CPU, but I guess it's better to overspend that underspend.

Thanks for the feedback and article.

qualdoth

Post by qualdoth » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 am

Everything said in the reviews is true, as well as the opinions that others have shared regarding the Mugen 4. I've had one for a couple of months now in my new rig and it's been excellent so far. Even when my video card is spun down, I don't hear the CPU cooler. I'm very happy with the investment I'd made into it.