It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re-purposing old machine for HTPC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:14 pm 

With the purchase of a new system, I intend to re-purpose my old Core2Duo to use as an HTPC. To do this, I'll need a new HTPC case and PSU.

Components:
CPU: Core2Duo E7200
CPU cooler: stock - I've read the stock isn't so bad on this one for noise, but I can't tell in my current system because of other noises
mobo: mATX (ASUS P5QL-E in case anyone cares). Board uses P43 so need a video card
video card: currently HD3470 passively cooled but will need to change for low profile. Will probably get a passive 6450.
SSD: old Sandforce 60 GB. All data stored elsewhere.
RAM: existing Gskill DDR2-800 4 GB

To buy
Case: leaning towards the Silverstone ML04B. Small, sleek, clean face and not expensive.
PSU: thinking about the SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W. I see it mentioned a lot in the forums, but no one seems to know how quiet it really is.
case fan: ?? Will I be able to get away without one?

The key is budget. Plus, I'm in Canada so selection tends to be limited. Mostly newegg.ca or ncix.com.

The C2D system now runs like a charm for everything HTPC, and runs cool (CPU rarely above 35-40°C and GPU rarely above 45-50°). This is in an Antec NSK4480 case with the stock 120mm Antec tri-cool fan running on its lowest setting. Any chance I can get away with just the CPU cooler and PSU fan? The ML04B only supports 80mm fans.

So, will I get anything even close to quiet? How quiet is this PSU? Do you have other suggestions that won't break the bank? (The SS-300ET runs $40 vs. the SILVERSTONE SFX ST30SF 300W that runs $60.) CPU cooler? Case fan?

Looking forwards to your input...