Silent/Air-Based OC System (on a Maxiums VI Impact Z87)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

novicemapper

Silent/Air-Based OC System (on a Maxiums VI Impact Z87)

Post by novicemapper » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:07 am

I have a Brand new Maxiums VI Impact Z87 (mini-ATX) which i want to build a system around (will need to update BIOS to support 4790K).
I will use this board to it's maximum potential for overclocking, which i know is quite gimped on silent cases.
I want a case which has as much as quality Dust-Filters as possible.. i really like the corsair obsidian magnet dust-filters.
* I'm waiting for AMD's answer to nvidia in the GPU market, and will need space to house quite a big GPU = Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X 8GB or so (not buying one for now)
ill specify the parts I'm gonna buy, and which of those i have problems deciding:
CPU: i7-4790K
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 or Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10
Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI IMPACT
GPU: *
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu (I've seen a lot of good things said about it, it fits my needs perfectly by being small/quite/cool).
PSU: Seasonic G-650/750, X-650/750, S/M12-620 (how much will i need for future GPU's?) **
Case (the hardest decision here): Fractal Design Define R5.

my hardest decision is the case, i really dont know how the R5 handles Dust + Air-Based OC. and i think it's too much for what i need, having a ITX board, lets me have other options.. and i thought about the Obsidian 250D having those awesome magnet filters.. but air cooling there.. might be too tight.. not to mention it has no room for any kind of big GPU's (which i tend to prefer). need some help choosing here..
about the PSU, i really don't know..for certain, i'ill buy only seasonic. they have the biggest warranties and support in my country, and i have a good history with their products.
i have the S12-620 on my current system (for about 6 years) and it is dead silent, and is one of the best purchases i have ever had.
having seeing some people saying that the X/G series have some noise issues scares me to waste bigger bucks to replace a good working PSU (a bronze one, but who cares), it costs a lot less.
well i need a lot of help thinking over these problems.. mainly choosing a right PSU and Case.

thank you :)

novicemapper

Re: Silent/Air-Based OC System (on a Maxiums VI Impact Z87)

Post by novicemapper » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:47 am

help? :/

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:18 am

Welcome to SPCR!

The obvious question is did you go through the SPCR recommended list of cases? Dust filters are a mixed bag, and unless you go to the complication of a positive pressure system, dust will always get in anyway. So, it is wiser I think, to run without filters, and just clean the system more often. Filters increase the air restriction all the time, and then the restriction increases as dust builds up - and you have to clean it.

Without filters, you get a free flowing air as possible, and then as dust builds, you get more restriction and decreased cooling - so you clean it.

Filters do not change the frequency of cleaning - they just change how you clean, and they increase the restriction all the time. Restriction equals more noise.

novicemapper

Post by novicemapper » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:28 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Welcome to SPCR!

The obvious question is did you go through the SPCR recommended list of cases? Dust filters are a mixed bag, and unless you go to the complication of a positive pressure system, dust will always get in anyway. So, it is wiser I think, to run without filters, and just clean the system more often. Filters increase the air restriction all the time, and then the restriction increases as dust builds up - and you have to clean it.

Without filters, you get a free flowing air as possible, and then as dust builds, you get more restriction and decreased cooling - so you clean it.

Filters do not change the frequency of cleaning - they just change how you clean, and they increase the restriction all the time. Restriction equals more noise.
thank you for your reply.
yes, i did went threw almost all recent reviews and build guides. i know dust filters have a play in more heat/noise, but i think it's minor (or not).. the thing is, i have an Antec TWO HUNDRED for 6 years now.. and dust build up on it is sooooooo annoying, and i thought i might get some other nice case for this system to help me handle cleaning better.
but, since i usually rely only on airflow to overclock.. i guess you are right, and too many dust filters will get in my way.

a lot of cases spcr reviewed are not available in my country (israel), like the bitfenix pro and NCASE M1 and so on (and shipping them from abroad will cost more than the case itself.. a lot more).
so i'm restricted to some brands that are more common here.. Fractal Design, Corsair, Antec, NZXT (less common are Lian-Li, Silverstone but we have those too).

i dont really care about having a window.. looking at my pc parts and feeling with joy isn't my thing.
as of now.. i consider buying either Corsair Air 240, Corsair Obsidian 250D, Fractal Design Define R5 or Antec GX300 (low budget solution if i decide none of the higher budget one's are worthy).

and another thing. i don't like the way the 250D has the PSU right under the MB, blowing hot air towards it nor do i like the way it's tilted sideways in the Air 240 and has restricted airflow.
can someone elaborate on that too?

thank you for helping me decide :)