First build after 7 years

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Thoir Danion

First build after 7 years

Post by Thoir Danion » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:27 am

Hi I am building a new 1440p 144hz gaming rig after I have been rocking my i7 920 gaming rig. The biggest disappointment with my old rig was that it was loud so I am going into this build with the goal of a small overclock of 4.4 and as quiet as a system as I can make it within reason. I already have windows 8.1 pro as well as I bought the define R5 case and I have a corsair gs 240gb ssd from my old build. Here is a list of my system build I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada I have the be quiet dark power pro 10 in the build because Canada doesn't have it yet is the 11 better?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xGKBpg

CA_Steve

Re: First build after 7 years

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:51 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Note: My viewpoint is skewed toward bang for the buck rather than throw gobs of $'s at the problem. So, here's my comments..

i7: Got games that'll make use of hyperthreading? Will it be the CPU or GPU that chokes at 1440p 144Hz? I recommend an i5 for games.

CPU cooler: Take a look at the review for the D15. It's a great cooler, but as you are only overclocking 10%, there won't be a big increase in heat load. The Scythe Kotetsu is a good alternative.

Mobo: Are there features on the Maximus Hero you need versus the $150 Asus mobo's?

RAM: Games won't make use of 16GB. Got apps that will? Also, there's incredibly little benefit to fps when you go above 1866 RAM speed. Take a look at the G.Skill Ares.

Storage: If/when you decide 240GB of storage isn't enough for your games (and everything else), the Samsung 850 Evo is nice.

Video card: 1440p @ 144Hz is an fun goal to strive toward...unless the game is light on GPU resources, it might be tough to get there. The cost is well above my price range :) You might want to wait for Asus, MSI and other reviews to come out...it's too early to tell who has the best cooling solution.

PSU: Your system's stressed power load is around 400-420W, given the slight OC. Heavy gaming load is 320-380W. The DPP10 is a good PSU, 850W is overkill as it's fan runs at ~500rpm throughout the power range. The Straight Power 600CM is a good alternative...the fan runs at a mere 200rpm up to 300W or so, then a slow ramp upward. It's quieter than the DPP10.

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Thanks for the great info I do a fair amount of multitasking (20-30 tabs open, light rendering and video watching) so my thought that the i7 would help with that l would like too hear your thoughts. I also game heavily wicher 3, BF4 and fallout 4 when it comes out I also have a soft spot for total war games. I was thinking about the gtx 980 ti hybrid card what are your thoughts on that reviews so far make it sound quiet or is it hype? I would like a hdd but am worried about noise I hear the new hdds are louder. What is the biggest overclock within reason I could shoot for with keeping the fans as low as possible?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Well, for web browsing and video watching all you need is a Pentium class CPU :) For 20-30 tabs, all you need is RAM - unless you've got 20-30 tabs of video running. Open up your task manager and then open 20-30 tabs in a browser - take a look at the CPU and RAM use.

I don't know how you define light rendering. What application is it? What makes it light - you only do it occasionally?

Take a look at comparable CPU benchmarks and see how much horsepower you get for the $'s you spend on the upgrade. For grins, the link compares your i7-920 (stock speed) to the i5-4690K. The Haswell i5 is about twice as fast for video transcoding. Going up to the i7 brings a 15-30% additional bump over the i5.

Fallout has never been an intensive resource game, Witcher 3 doesn't use more than four threads and performance is flat above 2.5GHz, BF4 is happy with an i3.

On the GPU side, Witcher is a pig. 1440P with Ultra settings leads to 38-48fps with a GTX 980..and ~73 fps in SLI. It's the most demanding of the listed games. So, that fast refresh of 144Hz probably won't be used until maybe 4 years from now when GPUs catch up...or if you dial down the quality settings. BTW, all of this data is from tech websites that have benchmarked the game. Just use search terms like "BF4 benchmark".

Hybrid cards: do you mean fan control where it's passive for 2D operations and then fan turns on with 3D load? Most of the vendors have bought into doing it this year based on Asus Strix introduction last year with the feature. It's the best thing they've done in years. That said, they all have different coolers, fan profiles, so there is some variation in temps/noise.

Overclock: no definitive answer. Remember that CPU power used is proportional to (Clk freq)*[(core voltage)^2]. So, a 10% increase in freq means 10% increase in power (heat to dissipate) while a 10% overvolt means about a 20% in power. Given your apps, the CPU isn't in the critical path. The GPU is.

You ought to take a look at SPCR's Gaming build articles for some insights to see how much heat can be removed quietly from a case.

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks again for your help very informative as for the hybrid card it's a AIO water cooler and fan that evga makes installed on the gtx 980ti reviews claim the fan doesn't go over 1000 rpms and is super quiet so it has peaked my interest.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:59 pm

Fan doesn't go over 1000 RPM? You shouldn't compare "super silent" claims from most review sites, as they have no real knowledge of how silent SPCR-silent is.

A 120mm fan is fairly silent up to 800 RPM, depending on make and build. YMMV

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:02 am

You make a good point from my research it's the same design as the gtx 980 hybrid has anyone had any experience with this card or the newer Ti card if not what website can I trust since spcr hasn't reviewed it yet?

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:52 am

Here is a nice cpu benchmark for the witcher 3 http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the ... page5.html
The Intel i7 is 'nice' when you want the fastest, video encoding etc. is faster on the i7, but the i5 is the biggest bang for the buck.
If you are looking for good reviews and benchmarks for the i5 vs i7 look around at http://www.anandtech.com.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:12 pm

personally id go i5 and put the savings towards bigger/faster SSD (...or just beer...).

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:38 pm

I think that is what I will do i5 should be fine.

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:05 am

I plan to run the case fans at the lowest rpm setting I can for my system build would it benefit me too pick up a third fan for the define R5 case or would it increase the noise with little return?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:35 am

Imo we still are on the 1080p era, with 4k making the initial push and 21:9 panels making an effort to introduce yet another ratio. I think trying to hit 144fps its going to be hard, specially if you go into demanding games at 1440p, my suggestion is look for G-Sync (if you are going with nvidia) or FreeSync (if you giong with AMD), this is what im looking for my next upgrade, a friend has an Asus with G-Sync and to me its worth it, but 4k is still in its infancy, and moving 4k with SLI is only viable if the title isnt demanding, so G-Sync will be something that will help a lot (imo), until GPU start to reach the power to move things as easily as they do on 1080p.

Good luck with the build,

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:22 am

Thoir Danion wrote:I plan to run the case fans at the lowest rpm setting I can for my system build would it benefit me too pick up a third fan for the define R5 case or would it increase the noise with little return?
It'll work with just the front and back fan. Added the third may lower the temps a couple of degrees and provide positive pressure (less dust build up). At idle/2D loads, the noise might be a bit more noticable (or not if you go with liquid cooling) and unnoticable with gaming.

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:59 am

Is it worth going liquid cooling a AIO system for the CPU and video card or would that add more noise?

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:52 pm

Why do you choose that Corsair? 210CAD for 240 GB????

You know that you can get a 500 GB drive for that money, right? Pick a Samsung or a Crucial.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/intern ... =3&m=12,32

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:05 pm

That EVGA card uses the stock cooler, and that's not a good thing here. This Gigabyte card cost 20 CAD more and stops the fans when in idle.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Giga ... ng/35.html

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Sorry if it was unclear I already own the corsair from an older build I bought a ssd for 2 years ago I am thinking of moving over tok this build

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:11 pm

I see, I thought you wanted to buy another one... :)

Edit: The Haswell CPU is 2 years old. Yes, it's the best you can get, but Broadwell is launched (which you shouldn't buy) and Skylake will be launched in August. Just sayin.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:18 pm

Thoir Danion wrote:Is it worth going liquid cooling a AIO system for the CPU and video card or would that add more noise?
The typical AIO system will run cooler but be noisier - mostly due to pump noise, sometimes due to fan noise. If you do a custom build and spend $300+, it has the potential to be quieter, too at load (it'll still be louder for idle/2D apps). I'd think ahead and get a case that will suit a future liquid cooled system, but start with air cooled and see if it works good enough for your needs. All you are out is the cost of a CPU cooler.

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:24 pm

How would this card compare to a asus strix for noise?

Thoir Danion

Post by Thoir Danion » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Makes sense will do the Fractal define R5 from my research does water cooling well if needed.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Thoir Danion wrote:How would this card compare to a asus strix for noise?
I don't know, haven't seen any reviews of that card. The Gigabyte card is factory overclocked and is faster than the Titan X yet manages
to be quieter than the stock 980 Ti even though it uses more power.

I'd be surprised if the Asus is noisier tho.

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:28 pm

Just wanted to offer my penny's worth of thought :)

I'm a big fan of TW games as well, and when it comes to graphics my ASUS GTX660-DC2OCPH-2GD5 is doing a satisfying job so far :)

It's an older model, I know, but it might be a good indicator on your needs in that area (Can't say anything about BF4, haven't played BF since Vietnam).