Help for a 450€ budget quiet PC - help to start well

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: Help for a 450€ budget quiet PC - help to start well

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 am

jmf11 wrote:Hello,

I spent some time this evening learning more about SpeedFan. I tried to map the temp measurement with those of OHW... And did not succeed so well :-( See the attachment: OHW gives the perfect value for the system temp and the CPU temp. But No equivalent CPU measurement for SpeedFan, which only detects 2 temps for the NCT6779D, one of them being fixed to 128.

I imagine that one option is to use the cores temp given by the CPU... But however I'm pretty happy with the chained fans on the CPU fan Header and did not identified some cooling schema needing to control them independently.

Thanks for sharing jmf11: I forwarded some information to Alfredo, the SpeedFan developer, whether he should ever answer something useful, I'll let you know.

Actually it would seem that combo may be somehow out of luck: on the other hand, please take note of just a couple of point.

First of all, it's not true that "the Overall CPU temp... is the more important". Indeed, it's usually of a limited practical importance.
What is true is that the so-called "Tcase" temperature may be regarded as "the temperature of the whole CPU or of the CPU package", and that it is probably the most important cooling-wise.
Unfortunately no sensor can actually read that value (on any motherboard, and of any CPU), so actually there isn't any real "Overall CPU temp" to monitor.
What any vendor does is to put an analog temp sensor more or less close to the socket placement, and "call" it "CPU Temp", but it isn't really representative of the "Tcase" value.
This is why enthusiast often rely on those core "temps" (even if, strictly, they are not temps!), as those thermal diodes are actually inside the CPU package, and that's why we need to carefully "calibrate" them using RealTemp/CoreTemp, cross-checking the measured value at various loads.
As a consequence, that "CPU Temp" detected by OHM might be important, but more likely it should not be that important (i.e. you shouldn't trust it that much).
The minor point is that as also OHM detects some strange/spurious temps onto that Nuvoton chip, it might worth to double check them using other tools (HWiNFO is free, AIDA64 and Hardware Monitor are commercial/paid), if you mind (but I guess you don't mind at all right now).

Well, eventually: enjoy your build, enjoy the silence (or quietness)! :wink:

jmf11

Re: Help for a 450€ budget quiet PC - help to start well

Post by jmf11 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:56 am

Above all, thanks for all your help. It allowed me to achieve a quiet build in one shot. I won't have succeeded without you all.

Let me know if you have some feedback from Alfredo.

Silence is a real comfort today !

Regards,

JMF