New silent system doesn't BOOT

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sergio90

New silent system doesn't BOOT

Post by Sergio90 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:14 am

Hi everyone :)

I've assembled a fanless system based on the following parts:

- Akasa Euler
- ASUS H81T
- Intel G3220
- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
- 4GB Kingston HyperX Impact 1600MHz, DDR3L, CL9 SODIMM 1.35V (ONE stick)

I put everything together, connected the power brick, connected the monitor, (HDMI on the board, DVI on the monitor)...and nothing happened. At first I'd made a mistake connecting the power button on the mobo, I corrected that, tried again, and this time the PWR LEDs came to life, but still the system didn't seem to boot.

Monitor says "no signal". So I started isolating the problem.
It's not the monitor, cause it works on my other PC.
It's not the DVI-HDMI cable either, so it's something in the miniPC itself.
The power LED on the mobo lights up green, so it's being fed power correctly.
The CPU also seems to be getting juice, I left the miniPC switched on for a few minutes until I noticed the fins were actually getting warm.
I removed the RAM stick from channel A to B and back, doesn't seem to make a difference.

I thought it might be a problem with the MOBO BIOS as suggested in this very similar case: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67629&p=585680
But my CPU is one of the few supported on the very first version of the BIOS, so it's not that either...
I have no way to test the DVI output as of yet, so for all I know it might just be the HDMI output not working.

I'm at my wit's end :(((

Any suggestions, please?

bonestonne

Re: New silent system doesn't BOOT

Post by bonestonne » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Do you have a buzzer speaker installed? It is likely giving you an error message via "beep code," but with no buzzer, you're unable to hear it.

More than likely it's either bad RAM or CPU incompatibility with the BIOS. I've seen it a few times, and honestly the best thing to do is get a used CPU on amazon that's definitely compatible with the motherboard (check compatibility lists with BIOS versions, based on what the BIOS label says the current version should be). Use the CPU to update the BIOS, and then move to your original CPU.

I've had to do this myself a few times, very simple, just inconvenient.