Streacom Cases and > 200W Fanless PSU

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Deejay

Streacom Cases and > 200W Fanless PSU

Post by Deejay » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:51 am

Hi all,

Apologies if this kind of query has already been answered - I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything.

Are there any solutions to using a nice fanless Streacom case when a > 200W PSU is required?

My system is already built, so I'm looking to replace as few components as possible. I fear that I may have too much power consumption to make one of the nice Streacom fanless cases a possibility.

My system:
  • Gigabyte H77N-Wifi motherboard
    Intel i5-3570K CPU
    TSB 6922 DVB-S2 satellite tuner card
    SSD
    SATA HDD
    BlueRay drive
    2x 4GiB RAM
    200W PSU
I gather power supply might be an issue as these cases only accept a PicoPSU supply, and the maximum power output of one of those is 160W. Would it be possible to buy and use a Streacom case with a PW-200-M PSU?

Any insight would be most gratefully received. I don't really fancy spending a few hundred pounds on a new case and PSU that will then melt my system!

boost

Re: Streacom Cases and > 200W Fanless PSU

Post by boost » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 am

Welcome to SPCR!
SPCR tested the Gigabyte H77N-Wifi drawing 114W from the wall with a PSU efficiency between 80% and 82% comes to 92W give ot take 1W. DVB tuner uses maybe 15W the HDD 10W and the optical drive another 10W. That comes to 130W peak load. Typical load probably in the 40W-65W range. Without a discrete graphics card a Pico PSU will do fine.
The PW-200-M PSU is very similar to a Pico PSU in that it plugs in directly to the 24-pin power header of the mainboard. Unlike the Pico PSU the PCB will be parallel to the mainboard and not extending upward. You'll need around 4cm next to the power connector or an extension cable for the power connector. A cable might be a good idea because a Pico PSU might get in the way of the heatpipes used in Streacom cases going from the CPU socket to the right.
A streacom case is great for a HTPC, when you have a passively cooled system you might want to do something about the hard drive noise. If you plan for that you might want a larger case just to be prepared to add a hard drive suspension.

Deejay

Post by Deejay » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 am

boost wrote:Welcome to SPCR!
SPCR tested the Gigabyte H77N-Wifi drawing 114W from the wall with a PSU efficiency between 80% and 82% comes to 92W give ot take 1W. DVB tuner uses maybe 15W the HDD 10W and the optical drive another 10W. That comes to 130W peak load. Typical load probably in the 40W-65W range. Without a discrete graphics card a Pico PSU will do fine.
The PW-200-M PSU is very similar to a Pico PSU in that it plugs in directly to the 24-pin power header of the mainboard. Unlike the Pico PSU the PCB will be parallel to the mainboard and not extending upward. You'll need around 4cm next to the power connector or an extension cable for the power connector. A cable might be a good idea because a Pico PSU might get in the way of the heatpipes used in Streacom cases going from the CPU socket to the right.
A streacom case is great for a HTPC, when you have a passively cooled system you might want to do something about the hard drive noise. If you plan for that you might want a larger case just to be prepared to add a hard drive suspension.
Wow, thanks for a really detailed and helpful reply!

That's quite reassuring. If 160W will cover my usage, then I'll forego the PW-200-M and get a Pico instead. Now, if only I could make my projector silent too...

edh

Post by edh » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Streacom themselves keep saying they are going to launch a 250W fanless PSU for their systems yet there has been no release, no pictures, no specs, no preview. The name I have seen mentioned is 'ZeroFlex'.

I really hope one of these comes out and then I really would want a Streacom for everything.

Streacom-Support
-- Vendor --

Post by Streacom-Support » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Hello,

the name for our fanless 250 Watt power supply in Flex format is called StreaFlex 250. We showed a working sample at Computex this year and we are currently finalizing it for production as well as Nano 180. They will both be available within the next 2 months. StreaFlex 250 is mainly being developed for our upcoming DB4 case, which will be ready in Q1 2014, hence small changes on the design of StreaFlex 250 and the reason for the latest delay. StreaFlex 250 was already mentioned last year, that is right, but rather than releasing a product that is not as perfect as it could possibly be in our eyes, we started from scratch. The StreaFlex 250 PSU will fit into FC9, FC10 and DB4.

BR,
Oliver

boost

Post by boost » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Streacom-Support wrote:Hello,

the name for our fanless 250 Watt power supply in Flex format is called StreaFlex 250. We showed a working sample at Computex this year and we are currently finalizing it for production as well as Nano 180. They will both be available within the next 2 months. StreaFlex 250 is mainly being developed for our upcoming DB4 case, which will be ready in Q1 2014, hence small changes on the design of StreaFlex 250 and the reason for the latest delay. StreaFlex 250 was already mentioned last year, that is right, but rather than releasing a product that is not as perfect as it could possibly be in our eyes, we started from scratch. The StreaFlex 250 PSU will fit into FC9, FC10 and DB4.

BR,
Oliver
250W passive in a small form factor is cool.
A current system without a discrete graphics card will draw about half that power.
Does the PSU come with a 6-pin PCIe power connector so all that extra power can go to use?
Will you make a pssive graphics card cooler for your case(s) to build a passive gaming system like this impressive diy system?

Streacom-Support
-- Vendor --

Post by Streacom-Support » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi boost,

yes StreaFlex 250 will come with a 6-pin PCIe connector. 250W is about the limit for a passive solution of modern PSU technology for a small form factor such as FlexATX.

Highfi's DIY FC5 is indeed impressive. Being a Gamer since age 4, let me assure you, being able to build a silent gaming system based on Streacom products is high up in my personal priority list. However, there are too many different VGA card layouts regarding GPU and VRMs, so building a universal solution is not an easy task and having a very limited solution would not be satisfactorily for anyone. This is not an official announcement, but the chances are high, that we will have a product featuring a silent VGA card solution next year. We have many different ideas to make it happen, fingers crossed any of them will stand the test of the real world.

BR,
Oliver

edh

Post by edh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:25 am

Streacom-Support wrote:the name for our fanless 250 Watt power supply in Flex format is called StreaFlex 250.
Thanks for the info Oliver. The ZeroFlex name is just what I'd seen at bit-tech.net: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... eacom-db4/

StreaFlex I know you were touting before as a name which is partly why I was confused. Was ZeroFlex ever a name you were going to use? I see you describe it as FlexATX form factor. Does this mean it will be a 81.5x40.5x150mm internal PSU without a need for a power brick? This would be very exciting not just for your cases but also for custom built silent SFF systems and it could be fitted into 1U systems or Shuttle XPCs.
Streacom-Support wrote:yes StreaFlex 250 will come with a 6-pin PCIe connector
Very exciting. I'm yet to see the final DB4 but a 250W passive PSU and a mid range graphics card undervolted would be a great combination with it I think. My next computer perhaps.

Streacom-Support
-- Vendor --

Post by Streacom-Support » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:30 am

Hello edh,

yes, we had some discussions on whether we should use StreaFlex or ZeroFlex and decided for StreaFlex in the end. Not entirely sure if it is the final name, but there is a high chance it is. Either way ZeroFlex and StreaFlex are the same product in case that caused some confusion :)

Dimensions for StreaFlex250 with the "heat shield/heatsink" are 139 x 45.3 x 86.5 mm and all you need is to plug the power cord into the PSU. As for custom designed SFF cases, the right amount of cooling depending on the load have to be kept in mind. StreaFlex is designed to make use of the "unused" side of FC5, FC9, FC10 and DB4 for cooling. In a closed case, there have to be some openings to let the warm air out/colder air in. I can tell you more about this once I have the final version for thermal testing.

Oliver

Edit: I just have been told the final name is still in discussion, so it could also be ZeroFlex. My apologies for the confusion >_<

edh

Post by edh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:14 am

This all sounds great! I appreciate that you may not be able to say everything until it is finalised and then I look forward to the reviews.

Gadgety

Post by Gadgety » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:48 am

I'm really excited about the fanless PSU and the DB4 chassis. I wouldn't mind the 95 TDP Kaveri APU and completely skip on any additional GPU. The perfect HTPC and/or entry gaming solution. Kaveri APU does 28-50 fraps in BF4 so it's powerful enough. Cooling the VRMs with a 95 TDP processor might be a challenge in a passive case such at the DB4, to which hopefully Streacom has/finds a solution.

Loonass

Post by Loonass » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:28 am

Streacom-Support wrote:Hello,

BR,
Oliver
Hi all, I'm aware this thread has not been used for 12 months but thought it may be nice to open it back up.
I have just bought an FC5 Evo case and love it. I spent a long time looking for mobo and processor combo that would suit and decided on the Asus H87M Pro with i7 4770T. I was aiming to use the Pico 150 PSU from streacom or possibly one of the several 200w units sold on eBay. However, when I got the case, the manual shows a picture of the Nano 180 and where it should be fitted.
I emailed Streacom and did some searching which is when I found this thread.

I'm interested in the the StreaFlex 250/ ZeroFlex 250 that Oliver said would be out in two months but its now twelve months later and not even the 180 is released.

I'm really impressed with everything that I have seen from Streacom but this PSU promise is a bit poor.
I'm yet to by my Processor and RAM but when I do (next couple of weeks) the next thing I need is the PSU and I really don't want to go head and get a 150w to later find out that the 250w is released a month later.

Oliver, If you are still about, is there any news you can let us in on?

Mike

se99paj

Post by se99paj » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:10 am

I'm interested to hear more about this as well, I've really interested in the FC10 but need to do some more research on power consumption first, I'm looking to try and reuse my existing components to reduce costs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz (65W)
Memory: 2 x 1GB DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz (9W)
Mobo: To be decided
Gfx: GeForce 8400 GS Passive (71W) This is from the Nvidia website, but not sure if the passive one pulls less power
Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500 (20W??)
HDD: 2 x 1TB (18W??) - Needs to be scalable for more HDD's
DVD: (27W??)

Total: 200W+

Not sure about the motherboard yet as I'll need to buy one, I guess with onboard graphics that will replace the dedicated graphics, but realise I haven't taken the mobo power into consideration. My confusion is the FC10 has 2 expansion slots and enough room for 4/5 HDD's, It feels like the case has more expansion capability than any pico PSU can supply which seems a bit odd.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:11 am

se99paj wrote:Gfx: GeForce 8400 GS Passive (71W) This is from the Nvidia website, but not sure if the passive one pulls less power

Not even by mistake a 8400GS may draw 71W: 20W at most, around 15W on average.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:32 am

se99paj:

Most of the power data you cite are either official max or over-estimates. My guess is the real use power maximum of your system is probably well under 100W (assuming you're not gaming).

The CPU's 65W TDP is correct, but in actual use tests here in SPCR's labs, we've never got close to reaching max TDP on any Intel processors since C2D was launched. The most you'll see from that one is maybe 50W under intense artificial stress testing or the latest high demand games.

The official TDP of the GeForce 8400 GS is 40W -- but that's not likely to be reached with video streaming, only peak in games. Luca's estimate sounds about right.

A PCI TV tuner is unlikely to draw much more than ~5W.

A HDD draws a fair bit of power for a split second (maybe 0.3s) as it's spinning up -- often over 20W, but then not much else in the system is pulling power at the time. Also, 2 1TB HDDs seem overdue for replacement. You can get 6TB in a single drive now, and a 4TB drive is only around $150; 2TB around $85.

se99paj

Post by se99paj » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 am

MikeC wrote:Also, 2 1TB HDDs seem overdue for replacement. You can get 6TB in a single drive now, and a 4TB drive is only around $150; 2TB around $85.
Thanks MikeC, I think you've hit the nail on the head with your last comment, although I'd like to upgrade to make my HTPC a neater setup I think the reality is I could just add a new HDD and leave everything else how it is, if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing.