Advice on an almost silent new setup.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dCrypt

Re: Advice on an almost silent new setup.

Post by dCrypt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:08 am

So, finally I decided to buy one X3-ATX-300 for me and I would like to reflect my impressions here, for the record.

The shipping was ver fast, considering it comes from China. Almost 5-6 days for arriving at Spain international customs, one week for delivery to my home.

The PSU itself seems quite well built and soldered. Quite avobe Chinese average quality. However, I don't know if it was because of the poor packaging or something else, one capacitor shows slight damage on its top. The PSU works, despite of this issue. I'm concerned about internal damage.

I can't hear any hissing noise.

It's quite disturbing that there is no manual at all. I could manage to get it by requesting it to the support team. However, it's incomplete. The two inputs mode is not described in detail, and something important is that if you use a more powerful brick, you don't know where to plug it, if there is a difference. There is a difference, indeed. The connector marked internally as "B" is the "master", while the "A" is the "slave" (?). The "master" connector drives the 12v lines, while the "slave" connector drives the 5v/3.3v lines. So, it's evident that in a 2-brick setup (fuse removed) the most powerful brick shall be connected to the "master"/"B" connector. Which, on the other hand, after installation there is no sign outside to differentiate between A and B.

I was concerned about the overall quality of the PSU. I'm afraid the efficiency is not as high as stated in the manual. My Antec AR-350 80-Plus PSU performs much, much better. However, it's possible that the power bricks themselves are not that efficient (HP 150w+90w, both Level V). Regarding 2 bricks impact on the efficiency, there is little difference between 1 and 2 bricks setup: +2w with 2 bricks, even powered off.

Hope it helps.

BR
Last edited by dCrypt on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: Advice on an almost silent new setup.

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:27 am

dCrypt wrote:Hope it helps.
Thanks a lot for sharing! :)