Quiet PC Spec Check?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LynS

Quiet PC Spec Check?

Post by LynS » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:30 am

Hi,

I'm ordering parts for a new computer in a few days, I was hoping someone could check over the parts I've picked to see if I should make any changes. It will be used for programming, virtual machines, encoding and light gaming.

Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: Corsair RM 750W (I can get this new cheap ~£60, but I don't mind paying more if there's a better/quieter option)
CPU: Intel 4790k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (I can also get this at about 30% off, but again, I don't mind paying more for a better option)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H (I picked this because it has good OSX86 compatibility)
RAM: Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866Mhz CL9

I already have peripherals, SSDs (Samsung 840 Pro 256GB x2), HDDs for storage (3TB Red), OS, and graphics card (MSI 760 GTX TF). Being quiet is one of my main concerns, I'm happy with the noise level of the graphics card, if the rest of the build is as quiet as that (idle and under load) I'll be happy.

Any changes? Thanks in advance.

CA_Steve

Re: Quiet PC Spec Check?

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

You don't need to go that big for the cooler when the Scythe Kotetsu will do well for about half the price. If you plan to overvolt the CPU, then bigger may be better.

Check for clearance issues with the cooler if you opt to go for big honking heatspreader RAM. No benefit to the tall heatspreaders, btw.

Your stressed load power is in the 300W range. Likely load power when encoding or gaming is 250W or less. So, the RM750 will work, you could certainly drop down to a lower power supply.

The loudest thing in your build is the gfx card. At idle, it's the only thing I hear in mine (see build thread in my signature). You might opt for a third case fan (two front, 1 back).

LynS

Post by LynS » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome/reply, I will definitely look at smaller CPU coolers, I was under the impression the NH-D15 was noticeably quieter under load than others, but if that isn't the case I guess I don't need such an expensive cooler. Unfortunately the Scythe Kotetsu doesn't seem to be available in the UK, which one would you go for instead of that?

I don't particularly want the heatspreader on the RAM, but the RAM listed was around £20 cheaper than lower profile RAM and it seemed compatible with the NH-D15 (with raised front fan) of course I might have to change it if I go for a different CPU cooler though.

The RM 750W would be coming from a friend from a price equivalent to the RM 450W so even though it's overkill if there's no disadvantage to going with the 750W I'll just stick with it.

Sounds good about the GFX card being the noisiest part, although I hear it in my current build I don't find it annoying at all.

Thanks again.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:29 am

Amazon.uk has it.

LynS

Post by LynS » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:19 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Amazon.uk has it.
Doh! Thanks, I didn't look at 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I'll probably go for that one then.

I think I'll switch the RAM to "Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory Kit PC3-15000 1866MHz" too to ensure there isn't any compatibility problems with the CPU cooler.

One last thing before I order, is there any quiet PSU you would particularly recommend over the RM 750W (preferably with low chance of coil whine)? I was pretty set on that power supply... but now I've read about the cheap poor quality capacitors it uses I've been a bit put off. I've already had a Corsair TX 650W explode and take out the motherboard in a previous build, I'm hoping not to repeat that experience.

Thanks again.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:18 pm

LynS wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:Amazon.uk has it.
Doh! Thanks, I didn't look at 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I'll probably go for that one then.
dont forget to use the linky found in some signatures, or by clicking an amazon advert banner on SPCR when you make your purchase. :wink: :wink:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:33 pm

xan_user wrote:dont forget to use the linky found in some signatures, or by clicking an amazon advert banner on SPCR when you make your purchase. :wink: :wink:
Don't think you can drill thru to Amazon.uk via the Amazon.com site link below :D

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:41 pm

The be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER E9 series is very quiet, well build, reasonably priced in the UK. Fan is always on, but you won't hear it. 500W or so is a nice size and ~£70. A step up is the Straight Power 10 and then the Dark Power Pro 10. Not sure of the availability of the latter two in the UK.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:12 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
xan_user wrote:dont forget to use the linky found in some signatures, or by clicking an amazon advert banner on SPCR when you make your purchase. :wink: :wink:
Don't think you can drill thru to Amazon.uk via the Amazon.com site link below :D
amazon banner ad on SPCR should work though..refresh till you see one.