Close to silent pc! (part 2)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pao338

Close to silent pc! (part 2)

Post by Pao338 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi everyone,
a year has almost passed since I last sought your invaluable assistance here for my first silent desktop build, so I thought it would be easier and probably better to start a new thread about it…needless to say, I still have to build it… :cry:

I’m looking for a good performance and close to silent pc for:
- extensive office use (Office suite, management software, online databases)
- Photoshop and CAD (not professionally)
- watching HD films (quite often)
- heavy browsing and p2p
- no gaming

Initially I’m not going to be bothered with a graphic card trying how the IGP works first. In case I will find the need for more graphical power I’ll add one later.

So far I am oriented towards the following key components:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Pearl
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz 6MB Socket 1150 84W with GPU HD Graphics 4600 Boxed
MoBo: Asus H97-PRO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance low profile 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz 1.5V CL9 9-9-9-24 (PC3 15000)
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 2.5" SATA3
Storage: 2 x 3TB WD Reds
Optical drive: LG GH24NS90

Following are my questions:

1) Case fans

The idea was to regulate each fan individually for optimized system cooling via PWM control using Fan Xpert 3. Since the priority is silence at idle and low system stress, I would like to use them at the lowest possible rpm.
The CPU and chassis fan connectors (CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN1/2/3) of the ASUS H97-PRO seem to be all “true” PWM. They also support the DC mode.
According to SPCR the newly improved stock R5 fans are as quiet as the Antec True-Quiet 140, which is good news. However, they are 3-pin voltage regulated running at a minimum of 500 rpm (at 5V).

Therefore, the options here seem to be:
a) using the stock R5 fans, but they are voltage regulated;
b) replacing them with the Antec True-Quiet 140 which are still voltage regulated but could reach lower minimum rpms (±200 rpm) when at idle;
c) or, replacing them with the Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM, which they are supposed to have a very good PWM range of control and possibly be lowered to about 200/250 rpms.
Here, I’m assuming their tonal characteristics are better than the Noctua NF-A14 PWM. Contrarily, I would pick the latter as it has better cooling capabilities.

Any overall suggestions?
I remember few SPCR users own the Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200/1500 PWM, anyone can advise on it?
The Redux series are no longer equipped with rubber edges at the mounting points as well, any vibration issues with those fans? If yes, were they used anti-vibration rubber/silicon pads instead?

2) CPU cooler

I would choose Scythe Kotetsu for the great review it received here. However, according to the PWM control test, the lowest possible rpms achieved by the included fan through Fan Xpert were 560 rpms at 10-11 dBA (about 400 rpms were reached under voltage control).

Therefore, in the scenario I’m seeking to achieve, at idle/low system stress I would have case fans running at very low rpms (about 200/250 rpms) whereas the CPU cooler runs at over double that speed…I’m aware that the front case fans would be more noticeable so the lower the better, but I’m still not sure whether this setup would make much sense.

Regarding the rear case fan, would it make sense to run it at approximately the same rpm as the CPU cooler fan or it doesn’t really matter? I’m considering the fact that the CPU cooler would probably benefit more if it is supported by the rear case fan in terms of same rpms for clearing out the heat more efficiently.
The Noctua NH-U14S with its NF-A15 PWM included fan should eventually be a good match for the Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM case fans considering the very low rpms that both fans could be dropped to.
Any suggestions?

3) Storage

I’m aware that the HDDs will probably be the loudest components in the build but at the moment I cannot invest in a NAS. That’s also the reason why I chose a closed case.
In case the noise produced by the HDDs will bother me, I would try to tame it with a little modding.

At the moment I'm using 3x3TB external HDDs which are almost completely full. One of them needs to be replaced asap and the others will eventually be replaced before they start failing…probably sooner rather than later.
The idea is to buy 2x3TB WD Reds which will also be a much cheaper solution than just buying a single 6TB unit.
According to URL SPCR Recommended Hard Drives the WD Red 3TB seems to be the quietest model among the bigger units (almost no vibration; 13-14 dBA both in idle & seek mode; low power consumption). However, the data shown in the table refers to a unit manufactured in June 2012 and my understanding is that the improved performance of newer units has been obtained at the expense of its acoustics.
Would you still recommend me the WD Red 3TB or are there quieter candidates? (according to official specs., it seems that the WD Red 3TB would still be the preferable solution among the other WD units).

4) PSU

Here, I’m still in the air…for a change.
The worst case load is probably less than 200W and normal load around 100W or less. But since I’m not sure whether I’ll need to add a GPU in the near future, I would rather invest in a little more powerful PSU.

I was considering the Corsair RM450 as it is fully modular, semi-fanless (passive at my current loads), gold rated and it comes with 5 years of warranty. It sells for about 87 euro.
The Bequiet! Straight Power 10 500W CM is about 89 euro.
The Bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W is about 124 euro.
The Seasonic P-460 FL2 is about 130 euro. However, I’m a little wary about Seasonic since the initial RMA for noise-related issues with these units seems pretty high.
The Super Flower Golden Silent 500W (fanless platinum) is 136 euro, while the Golden King 550W (platinum) is 138.

Any overall suggestions on which unit I should choose and why?
Anyone can tell me if the noise-related issues with the Seasonic P-460 FL2 have been solved completely?

5) Optical drive

Would you recommend me any other silent unit to choose?

Thank you so much in advance!

CA_Steve

Re: Close to silent pc! (part 2)

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi, a couple of suggestions:
- Try the stock case fans first and see if they meet your needs. You can always replace them later.
- I can't hear the Mugen 4's fan idling inside my R4 (with all other fanned stopped). I suspect it'll be the same with a Kotetsu in an R5.
- No video card, so your stressed load is closer to 135W with normal load well below 100W. So, not a lot of heat to get rid of in the case.

Pao338

Post by Pao338 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:45 pm

Thank you CA_Steve for your suggestions.
CA_Steve wrote:Try the stock case fans first and see if they meet your needs. You can always replace them later.
I'll give it a try and see how much they can be undervolted using Fan Xpert 3.
CA_Steve wrote:I can't hear the Mugen 4's fan idling inside my R4 (with all other fanned stopped). I suspect it'll be the same with a Kotetsu in an R5.
That's good to hear!! :D Your Mugen's fan is idling at around 460 rpms, right?

dr_traktor

Post by dr_traktor » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:58 am

Pao338 wrote:I would choose Scythe Kotetsu for the great review it received here. However, according to the PWM control test, the lowest possible rpms achieved by the included fan through Fan Xpert were 560 rpms at 10-11 dBA (about 400 rpms were reached under voltage control).
Just a note on noise values. I take silence seriously. To me it means that I cannot tell whether my PC is on.

10-11 dBA is that. A monitor - unless you run it at 100% brightness - is louder than that. If you live in a city, the background noise in your room is guaranteed to be above that even in the middle of the night.

Btw. Scythe Slipstream 12 PWM fans go from 200 to 1200 RPM. But imho. you don't need to go that low with RPMs.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:48 am

Pao338 wrote:That's good to hear!! :D Your Mugen's fan is idling at around 460 rpms, right?
Yep.