Want to build a Silent yet powerful gaming PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greydeathangel

Want to build a Silent yet powerful gaming PC

Post by Greydeathangel » Wed May 06, 2015 8:41 am

Hi all,

Right now I'm trying to make a pc that can play max settings on most games, like FarCry 4, Gta5, and soon the witcher 3, at 1080p (don't need anything more).

The major problem I run into with my old aging pc which will be going to my ma is its loud when gaming, kinda annoying.

Here's a list of the parts that I was looking at so far, this is the first pc I planned out to make myself any tips or changes would be appreciated (yes I know I don't have a cpu cooler, was looking at my options right now).
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MqLcrH

I live in a basement in Minnesota, so almost all year round my game room stays relitively cool.

Don't want to go too overboard on the budget (I like the design of the define r5, asus striks, but not so sure on the other components?)

Thanks for your time,
Dave

CA_Steve

Re: Want to build a Silent yet powerful gaming PC

Post by CA_Steve » Wed May 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

CPU - ok
cooler - suggest Scythe Kotetsu
mobo - there's an updated version with USB 3.1, if you care.
RAM - 16GB is overkill for games as is 2133 speed. No real benefit above 1866.
storage: If you have a lot of games and other stuff that you want to load fast, consider going with the 500GB Evo and a standard 5400rpm HDD for your media files/backup/whatever.

Video card - Far Cry is easy on resources. GTA5 can be a pig on the GPU depending on textures:
- For 1080p normal textures you'd see: GTX 760 57fps, GTX 960 59fps.
- For 1080p high texture (needs more than 3GB) GTX 770 44fps, 780 is 51fps, GTX 980 66fps.
Looks like Witcher 3 1080p Ultra requires a GTX980 to get 60fps. So, it's another pig.
I guess the answer is: if you really want to run maxed then get the 980. If you don't, save $300 and get the GTX960. The Asus Strix card is fine.

case - ok.
PSU - your stressed load with a GTX 980 is 300W and high gaming load is closer to 260W. So, 760W PSU is a little overkill. You could go with a 550-650W class.

Greydeathangel

Post by Greydeathangel » Wed May 06, 2015 6:57 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.

CPU - ok
cooler - suggest Scythe Kotetsu
mobo - there's an updated version with USB 3.1, if you care.
RAM - 16GB is overkill for games as is 2133 speed. No real benefit above 1866.
storage: If you have a lot of games and other stuff that you want to load fast, consider going with the 500GB Evo and a standard 5400rpm HDD for your media files/backup/whatever.

Video card - Far Cry is easy on resources. GTA5 can be a pig on the GPU depending on textures:
- For 1080p normal textures you'd see: GTX 760 57fps, GTX 960 59fps.
- For 1080p high texture (needs more than 3GB) GTX 770 44fps, 780 is 51fps, GTX 980 66fps.
Looks like Witcher 3 1080p Ultra requires a GTX980 to get 60fps. So, it's another pig.
I guess the answer is: if you really want to run maxed then get the 980. If you don't, save $300 and get the GTX960. The Asus Strix card is fine.

case - ok.
PSU - your stressed load with a GTX 980 is 300W and high gaming load is closer to 260W. So, 760W PSU is a little overkill. You could go with a 550-650W class.
Thanks for the greetings and the advice,
I've took what you suggested and continued my design process.
CPU- okay so I have no problems here, I saw a side by side comparison with this cpu and a i7 and a $100 extra didn't seem worth a few extra frames.
Cooler - I haven't heard of the Scythe Kotetsu before, any good articles on it?
MoBo- yeah I think I'll have to look deeper to find the usb3 ones, suggestions?
RAM- I know that 16gb is shear overkill for most gaming, but since I have to run multiple servers on VMware for school the extra power is justified for me 1866 is the sweet spot though.
Storage- loading all my games on SSDs would be nice, how would a heavily moded skyrim handle that?
Video- I think I'll stick with my ASUS 980, that way I won't need to worry about expanding anytime soon.
Case- Define R5 just looks sweet
PSU- I guess I'll have to look up a solid psu in the 550-660 range, suggestions on a reliable quite psu?

Thanks again,
Dave

Greydeathangel

Post by Greydeathangel » Wed May 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks for the reply,
Alright here's a differnt list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kkrcrH
CPU - no problem
Cooler - haven't heard of this one, but I hear a lot of people suggesting it
Mobo - this one says it has usb3 on it
Ram - I like the 16gb for my school work which require running up to 5 VMware programs at once
Storage - using ssd is a nice feature, how will a heavily moded skyrim work with that?
VRAM - I'm sticking with asus strix 980 (goning to kill my Xbox one)
Case - define r5 looks sweet
Psu - still looking around for this one
Thanks,
Dave

[moderator: the above two posts were in..erm...moderation until after Luca's post]

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu May 07, 2015 6:28 am

Greydeathangel wrote:Here's a list of the parts that I was looking at so far, this is the first pc I planned out to make myself any tips or changes would be appreciated (yes I know I don't have a cpu cooler, was looking at my options right now).
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MqLcrH
CPU cooler: as said by Steve, you need one, and the already adviced Scythe Kotetsu is surely a good option.
Mobo: for similar pricing and feature personally I prefer something like an ASRock Z97 Killer.
Hard disk: probably a 2TB WD Green is quieter.
PSU: total overkill, power-wise, frankly I would rather something like the EVGA G2 750W over it, or a more right-sized Be Quiet! Straigth Power E10 500W CM.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 07, 2015 7:00 am

The Kotetsu rocks. Go search SPCR's reviews and look at the thing :)

I did a search on Newegg and found these z97 ATX boards upgraded with USB 3.1. pcpartpicker doesn't have a selection criteria for it, yet.
using ssd is a nice feature, how will a heavily moded skyrim work with that?
The primary benefit of an SSD over HDD in games is load time. Loading the game, loading a new zone, loading an instance.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Greydeathangel wrote:Alright here's a differnt list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kkrcrH
...snipped out...
Mobo - this one says it has usb3 on it

I guess USB 3.1 is different from USB 3.0: price wise I'd stick with the already adviced Killer.
HDD: the Red 2.5 is very quiet, think if a similarly quiet Green 2TB may be more interesting, space-wise.
PSU: I'd stick with recommended BeQuiet, the only alternatives would be a Platimax or a Golden King, two units rather rare there (but the quoted EVGA G2 is still a viable option in USA, though it's way bigger than needed).

moderator wrote:[moderator: the above two posts were in..erm...moderation until after Luca's post]

There's no problem for me, I hope my answers were anyway intelligible for the OP. :wink: