Streaming-only computer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

woodsman

Streaming-only computer

Post by woodsman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:46 am

I want to change my HTPC setup. I plan to move the TV capture card for recordings and DVD ISOs to a dedicated server in my home network. My new HTPC will stream videos from the server.

That means a much smaller footprint in the living room. :) As the new system will stream, energy efficiency is one of the top criteria. With no data storage needed, a small SSD for the system drive makes sense. All fanless would be awesome if possible.

That means researching cases, motherboards, and SSDs. I am asking for help with links, comments, recommendations, suggestions, etc.

One caveat: Looks like I need my own case because I want a DVD drive in the new system, which seems to eliminate many NUS systems.

I use Linux systems throughout my network. I have been using XBMC.

Thanks again. :)

quest_for_silence

Re: Streaming-only computer

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:15 pm

woodsman wrote:Thanks again. :)
Not an answer, just some food for thoughts:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:22 pm

I'm using a Zotac Zbox CI320 for browser based streaming. 6-7W idle, 10-14W video streams under Firefox/Chrome. I am seeing some stutter with some TV networks' website streams - I haven't figured out if it's a Baytrail thing or something else..I do note that similar systems with bottom end Haswell CPUs don't have the issue. So, you could go with a Zbox C1321 or a NUC.

Optical - just get an external drive. It's about the same footprint as the above boxes.

If you don't need a browser or and attached ODD, you could just buy a Roku to be your front end.

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Not an answer, just some food for thoughts:
Good links. Thanks. :)
I'm using a Zotac Zbox CI320 for browser based streaming.
I read a review of the CI321. The reviewer saw stuttering too. I really like the energy specs though. :)