How important is choice of Processor TDP

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davewolfs

How important is choice of Processor TDP

Post by davewolfs » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:27 am

Hey folks,

I'm looking at a few options of a CPU that will be primarily used in a work station evironment. I plan to pair this with a GTX 970/980 STRIX as it's my understanding that the fans don't even need to spin when the GPU is not being used. The reason for a GPU of this type is that I would like to have access to a reasonably powered GPU for some applications that I use and do play the occasional game.

As for CPU options I am looking at those which have a TDP between 90 and 105 and possibly some which are 140. What I'd like to know is how much of an impact does the TDP of a CPU have on your ability to keep a system quiet? In most SPCR builds the chips are around 85. Is there a huge difference from if you go from a 90->105 chip or even a 140.

I appreciate any feedback on this.

CA_Steve

Re: How important is choice of Processor TDP

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:24 am

Short answer: not a lot with a decent cooler and a case with good airflow. The gfx card's fans will inevitably be the loudest component at load. Take a look at the ATX Gamer build using a Haswell i7-4770 and Scythe Kotetsu with a Strix 980 in a Fractal R5 case. Stress load presented 64C for the CPU with system noise at only 17dB(A).

So, 64C for an 88W TDP CPU that is known to run warm. For the 140W, you could move up to a beefier cooler like the Ninja 4 and possibly add a second fan for push-pull.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:54 am

Pretty much what he said. Big tower heat sinks with big low rpm fans are pretty quiet and if the fan profile is right, it will barely tick over when the CPU is not heavily loaded.

Problems can occur when you don't have enough space for a big cooler or you don't have enough air flow in and out of your case to remove the heat.

davewolfs

Post by davewolfs » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:32 am

It seems like a lot of the server boards are narrow sockets. This would limit a lot of cooling options. In fact I think only the X61 could be used.

The R5 is a nice case but am not sure how quiet it would be if the top plates were exposed for the X61. Any thoughts on the Entho Evolv ATX?