Non-gaming mITX build, case advice needed

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nightshift

Non-gaming mITX build, case advice needed

Post by nightshift » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Greetings!
I'm a long-time reader of SPCR, and now planning my next build.
This time it will be an mITX, for general purpose and occasional CPU-intensive tasks.

I already have the 4690K, new memory, 3.5" HDD, 2.5" SSD. No need for a graphics card.
Still to choose:
- MB and CPU cooler (that shouldn't be a problem, there are plenty)
- case + PSU, which happens to be the most difficult part for me, and this is what I'd like to hear your recommendations for.

I'd like the case to occupy less desktop space, any reasonable height, smallish, preferably stylish. In other words, it should be higher than wider or deeper.

The closest candidate so far is Silverstone ML06 (350 x 99 x 205 mm), if I set it on the left side and attach new feet. The multi-purpose bracket goes out of course, and some 'creative' positioning of the HDD in place of the drive bay, next to the PSU. If the PSU is ST45SF (125 x 63.5 x 100) both should fit. The ventilated right-hand side of the case becomes the top side and the main heat exhaust. I like that the USB ports will be on top, where I want to put all my antennas (for BT, mouse/kbd, Sennheiser phones).

I only wish it were a bit wider (i.e. its smallest dimension not 99 but say 140 mm), so that I could use a larger, quieter PSU and a 120-mm case fan blowing up.

I also considered FT03-MINI, it's not too big on desk space and stylish, but the idea of wires hanging from the top (and also wasting room at the top) is not appealing to me, and the top placement of the PSU seems limiting both the airflow and the CPU cooler size. I'm not afraid of drilling a few holes, downvolt fans, etc. (I have some experience in taming a noisy(ish) Antec Minuet to an inaudible state, daytime in midtown apartment). All those of course can be rearranged and a larger PSU fits at the bottom but... that's much more work.

I looked at many more cases from more or less known brands, but I don't see that many to suit my idea. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

quest_for_silence

Re: Non-gaming mITX build, case advice needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:17 am

nightshift wrote:If the PSU is ST45SF (125 x 63.5 x 100) both should fit.

Avoid that specific PSU: the smaller ST30SF is quieter, cheaper, and even more efficient at your expected power draw.
BTW the RVZ/FTZ/ML can mount also any std ATX PSU getting rid of the opposite cage.

nightshift wrote:I don't see that many to suit my idea. Did I miss something?

I don't know... Lian Li PC-05X? Rosewill Legacy (Jonsbo) U2-S? InWin H-Frame mini?

Cigaras

Post by Cigaras » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:41 am

I am also looking for a mITX case and can share some of my experience :) If You are not going to use a GPU and want to fit a large CPU cooler, the best I found for that would be a Jonsbo U2, available in USA as Roswill and in Europe as Cooltek, realy nice aluminium case with an optional window, fits an SFX PSU and a CPU cooler up to 135mm: http://www.cooltek.de/en/jonsbo-powered ... ries/88/u1.

nightshift

Post by nightshift » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:51 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
nightshift wrote:If the PSU is ST45SF (125 x 63.5 x 100) both should fit.

Avoid that specific PSU: the smaller ST30SF is quieter, cheaper, and even more efficient at your expected power draw.
BTW the RVZ/FTZ/ML can mount also any std ATX PSU getting rid of the opposite cage.

I don't know... Lian Li PC-05X? Rosewill Legacy (Jonsbo) U2-S? InWin H-Frame mini?
Thanks, I missed the ST30SF, looks good, semi-fanless up to 40% load is promised.

The U2-S comes close (I wish the PSU was on the bottom and the top ventilated, but with my expected power draw it probably doesn't matter). In this case: what would be the recommended ATX PSU? Most seem overkill in wattage.

nightshift

Post by nightshift » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Cigaras wrote:I am also looking for a mITX case and can share some of my experience :) If You are not going to use a GPU and want to fit a large CPU cooler, the best I found for that would be a Jonsbo U2, available in USA as Roswill and in Europe as Cooltek, realy nice aluminium case with an optional window, fits an SFX PSU and a CPU cooler up to 135mm: http://www.cooltek.de/en/jonsbo-powered ... ries/88/u1.
Thanks, the U1 looks nice indeed. But same as for the U2: I wish the top was ventilated, letting the heat out without an 80 mm case fan. But since it's made of aluminium, should be easy to cut a window on the top side and cover it with a grill.

nightshift

Post by nightshift » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:10 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:

Both PC-05X and H-Frame mini are stylish and interesting cases, but the PC-05X is a bit too deep to my taste (384 mm). The other one seems to be designed for lower power CPUs and has a (probably noisy) built-in custom PSU, and no room for a full-size HDD.

nightshift

Post by nightshift » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:13 pm

Cigaras wrote:realy nice aluminium case with an optional window, fits an SFX PSU and a CPU cooler up to 135mm: http://www.cooltek.de/en/jonsbo-powered ... ries/88/u1.
Your link is pointing to the Jonsbo U1, and I might have a better idea for it:

- Turn it upside down and reattach the feet; the new top becomes ventilated with the existing vents.
- The PSU sits at the new bottom, receives cooler air, its fan never (hopefully with the ST30SF) spins.
- The SSD goes to the bottom, next to the PSU.
- The HDD can be mounted on the back, with some spacing from the wall so that the back vents are not completely blocked.

Finally, with a few holes drilled on the bottom next to the PSU, the air flow becomes bottom to top, the heat naturally escapes and no need for a case fan --> almost silent operation. How's that sound?

boost

Post by boost » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:59 pm

If you would consider a Pico PSU you, can puta nice and quiet system in a Lain Li Q07 (scroll down to Abula's system).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:36 pm

nightshift wrote:Both PC-05X and H-Frame mini are stylish and interesting cases, but the PC-05X is a bit too deep to my taste (384 mm). The other one seems to be designed for lower power CPUs and has a (probably noisy) built-in custom PSU, and no room for a full-size HDD.
There's a user review of the H-Frame mini.

nightshift wrote:Your link is pointing to the Jonsbo U1, and I might have a better idea for it

As far as I know the U1 is not available in North America, but check twice.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:50 am

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811353044 :?:
(But only supports up to 120mm CPU cooler)

nightshift

Post by nightshift » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:03 am

boost wrote:If you would consider a Pico PSU you, can puta nice and quiet system in a Lain Li Q07 (scroll down to Abula's system).
The Q07 is not bad, and yes I was considering a pico PSU, but the need to rely on a power brick makes me hesitate...

nightshift

Post by nightshift » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:23 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
nightshift wrote:The other one seems to be designed for lower power CPUs and has a (probably noisy) built-in custom PSU, and no room for a full-size HDD.
There's a user review of the H-Frame mini.
Ok the review is favourable noise-wise, I'll give it some more thought, but again he used a lower-power CPU and no 3.5" HDD (which I still would like to have).
quest_for_silence wrote:
nightshift wrote:Your link is pointing to the Jonsbo U1, and I might have a better idea for it

As far as I know the U1 is not available in North America, but check twice.
You are most likely right, but not a problem, I go to Spain quite often.

nightshift

Post by nightshift » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:01 pm

xan_user wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811353044 :?:
(But only supports up to 120mm CPU cooler)
Thanks, this one is simple and inexpensive, but unnecessarily deep for my purposes and no tops vents.